Okay guys, so I have been playing guitar for around 2 and a half years, and now I want to mess around on bass a little, but in order to do that I need a Bass. my question to you guys is, what would a good starting bass be/what price is it roughly? and what are some good bass companys? Thanks in advance.
My Gear
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yamaha Pacifica (First Guitar)
Amps
Marshall MG Series 250DFX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Others
Dunlop Cry Baby Wha
Boss GT-10
I'm doing the exact same as you, actually. I am getting a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass. They are great for the price which is $180.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
Quote by WarmTape16
Okay guys, so I have been playing guitar for around 2 and a half years, and now I want to mess around on bass a little, but in order to do that I need a Bass. my question to you guys is, what would a good starting bass be/what price is it roughly? and what are some good bass companys? Thanks in advance.

The fender mustang bass (squier bronco bass) is billed as a bass for guitarists because it has a little neck. In general fender makes awesome all around basses, both jazz and precision. I like Schecter... there are tons, try being more specific. Like what style of music etc

Quote by oldyards15
my adivce: don't play bass!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as with guitars i woul suggest for a starter one to eitehr go for a stores own one, u no they type., u can pick up for like £70 with a **** amp, just to get started on... o i would suggest roaming ebay for a cheap one, at the end of teh day tpo start on its not needing to be brillaint
If you want a "good name" reasonabkle starter i would go with the squire p bass... not the jazz, the squire jazz is horrible, but the p bass isnt bad. they are about £130, plus a cheap amp,. so 170 over all.... depedns on your price range. if u a nutty guitar man who is used to paying thousands for a guitar, then a fender p bass or jazz wouldnt be to expensive. other wise go for a squire starter pack. i have a stagg BC300, whichj is ok,. but not great, i love it cause i had it for years, but i should of bought the squire

the epi SG style basses are ok as well,
tbj iotys not a huge deal on the bass, my bassest is better than anyone at our age (16) that i no of, and i no several musicains, and he played on his dads old epiphone piece of complete ****, and still played well. and his dad had been playing in bands and everything on thats for 20years, and he is a god, and still says he ddoesnt care about that bass, its hiim playing it that matters.
Quote by oldyards15
my adivce: don't play bass!

i think u mean dont play bass if u a guitarest..... guitarests can never play bass, cause they wana play it liek a 6 sting guitar, which is a bad idea, much more about rythm ect lol every heard slash play bass? its on youtube,. funi as hell he cant do **** all on it that sounds right
Should have took this to the bass forum. You won't get idiots replying!
I'd look into Ibanez & Squire starter packs, I'd go with Ibanez over Squire personally.

Don't forget you can't play your bass through a guitar amp!

^ Oh, and no offence, but I didn't understand a word that guy wrote just then ^

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
Should have took this to the bass forum. You won't get idiots replying!
I'd look into Ibanez & Squire starter packs, I'd go with Ibanez over Squire personally.

Don't forget you can't play your bass through a guitar amp!

^ Oh, and no offence, but I didn't understand a word that guy wrote just then ^

cause u are retarded then? i basicly say that u should get a store own one, or a fender squire p bass, mongoed are you?
and you can play a bass through a guitar amp just sounds like **** unless you get the right pros box first. oh and if u trying to call Me and idiot? then i wana no why? cause im a bassest and drummers who dabbles in guitar, so i think my input has just as much value as yours. i also work in a guitar store..... so perhaps more value than yours?
Quote by manwithplan
cause u are retarded then? i basicly say that u should get a store own one, or a fender squire p bass, mongoed are you?
and you can play a bass through a guitar amp just sounds like **** unless you get the right pros box first. oh and if u trying to call Me and idiot? then i wana no why? cause im a bassest and drummers who dabbles in guitar, so i think my input has just as much value as yours. i also work in a guitar store..... so perhaps more value than yours?

I got confused at first when you said "stores own one" but I figured you meant a Store-Brand one, that's like really cheap.

And putting a bass through a guitar amp damages the amp I believe...https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851174
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
I got confused at first when you said "stores own one" but I figured you meant a Store-Brand one, that's like really cheap.

And putting a bass through a guitar amp damages the amp I believe...https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851174

meh, i did it for years with a cheap old pratcise amp my dad gave me when is started. it doesnt make a huge diffrence..... obv dont put it through a nice amp, thats just ludicous, like using a coin to play just guitar/bass, yes it can work, but not a huge iddea
oh yeh and it doesnt cause HUGE damage, bloc party use both a guitar amp and bass amp on there lastest album to give the bass a more guitar like sound on some tracks, and to balance it out aprently, no idea why, but it soudns awsome
Quote by manwithplan

No, I wasn't saying what you were saying was nonsense. I just can't understand your typing.
Playing bass through a guitar amp (a combo generally speaking) will damage the speaker due to the low frequencies. Bloc Party's bass might sound like a guitar due to EQ'ing and effects, or mabye (seems likely from what your saying) going through a guitar head into a bass cabinet.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Last edited by dancesisidance at May 19, 2008,
Quote by dancesisidance
No, I wasn't saying what you were saying was nonsense. I just can't understand your typing.
Playing bass through a guitar amp (a combo generally speaking) will damage the speaker due to the low frequencies. Bloc Party's bass might sound like a guitar due to EQ'ing and effects, or mabye (seems likely from what your saying) going through a guitar head into a bass cabinet.

nah trust me its into a guitar combo. Vox AC30 i think.