ok well i was listening to some COF, not a fan, but i want to write a song with a gothic feeling and i was wondering what mode am i to use to get that dracula, transylvania sound we all imply.
Ionian.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
You don't have to go modal at all, they're very limiting and overrated. You can achieve this with any scale you want, but a scale that's used in Western music to give a dark, eastern European kind of sound is harmonic minor. I think Necrophagist might have the kind of sound you're going for, look into some of their stuff for a "Transylvania"-ish sound. The sound in their instance relies heavily on harmonic minor, but let me drill this in again: you can achieve any type of sound with any scale or key.
I say find the deepest distortion sound you can get, you could aslo tune your guitar to cgcgce, or a low alternative tuning. And i say if you have a wammy bar, you could use it to make your guitar sound even lower. (well that's if you play guitar). Play a lot of power chords and play high on a solo fairly often. you could practically play any scale with gothic music. --this is just an opinon on how to play gothic
Somewhere weakness is our strength, and I'll die searching for it
I can't let myself regret, such selfishness
My pain and all the trouble caused, no matter how long
I believe that there's hope
chromatics r awesome
Somewhere weakness is our strength, and I'll die searching for it
I can't let myself regret, such selfishness
My pain and all the trouble caused, no matter how long
I believe that there's hope
Don't forget to use diminished arpeggios and the diminished scale. It's the most evil thing in music.