I actually try to prevent clipping by monitoring the little clipping meter on that bottom panel, but my tracks always end up being too quiet.

Just to test this I important an actual mp3 song (a studio recording) and it clipped like crazy in fact every mp3 I imported clipped a lot.

What am I missing here? Should I just ignore the thing and fix the volume to whatever I like?
It's only clipping with the imported mp3's because you have the gain too high. I can guarantee there won't be any clipping on professionally recorded tracks.

Bottom line is, you really need to avoid clipping in your tracks, unless you want to hear distortion (and not the good kind) What are you using to record?
There is poetry in despair.
Toneport GX and Guitar Rig 3

I still annoying that I have to set the volume lower, when I play them side by side to a regular mp3, the volume difference is noticeable.

I probably should not bother trying to compare a studio quality mastering with crappy software modeling, they probably employ various recording techniques like double tracking, proper mic placement to make everything seem louder and bigger without actually to apply more gain.
It IS unrealistic to compare your recordings with professionally mastered ones. However, you can make your recordings louder by good employment of compression and even (in extreme cases) , limiting. Do you know how to use these to boost the volume of your recordings ?

Also, by using some subtle EQ in the mastering stage, you can make your track appear louder without actually increasing the volume.
It IS unrealistic to compare your recordings with professionally mastered ones. However, you can make your recordings louder by good employment of compression and even (in extreme cases) , limiting. Do you know how to use these to boost the volume of your recordings ?

I don' think I know how to use those. But with heavily distorted guitar do I still need more compression? I am probably missing the point

Also, by using some subtle EQ in the mastering stage, you can make your track appear louder without actually increasing the volume.

Is that like adding a bit or midrange or presence?

Mastering is much more complex than I initially though, are there any sources on the interwebs where I could learn all this stuff?
There certainly are places on the net you can learn about this. Have a good leaf through tweakz guide (google it) and you should find information on mastering there.

(briefly) Basically, by compressing the peaks of a mixed down recording, even by just a little, you can add more gain via the compresser without clipping, as the loudest peaks have been reduced. That's a very basic explanation, because it's nearly 3 o clock, and I want to go to sleep. Your best bet will be to read Tweaks guide and then ask any more specific questions here.
thanks for the tip fridge I will give that comp method a try. I will also check out that guide.

thanks bro
Quote by fridge_raider
I can guarantee there won't be any clipping on professionally recorded tracks.

There is.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Well, actually, you're right, the other day I was talking with someone about a clipping drum beat on an Eminem song.

However, it's not common, nor is it a good idea to try at home.
Actually after reading up tweakz guide, I was able to vastly improve volume without introducing any clipping, in fact I was able to increase volume AND remove some minor clipping I had before!

Thanks for suggesting that guide fridge I am now able to get my tracks up to the normal volume of mastered CD's, tone is also better overall too.

Now the question is: can I get away with using Guitar Rig 3's comps and limiters or should I find some better plug ins?

On a related note:

I heard there are two kinds of clipping: hardware clipping and mpeg3 decoding clipping. I believe Cubase detects hardware clipping of the imported mp3 over and above any actual clipping that may or may not be in the unmixed project.

Of course I am not a sound engineer and could be talking out of my ass.
Last edited by ixelion at May 20, 2008,
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
Usually with professionally mastered stuff it will clip, but its .01 db away from 0db. Most things will register it as a clip, but its not (unless you hear it and you will hear a digital clip).

Yeah, on the song I was thinking of, you could hear the drums distorting slightly.

As for the compressor, you can use any compressor, but obviously some work better than others. I don't know what the Guitar Rig ones are like, but I would try the compressor bundled in with Cubase.

To try a few others, you might find some at www.kvraudio.com. Of course, there are many expensive plugins available which will most likely sound better, but you pay a price.
Hey Guys. I have a question and I hope somebody can help me. I have been producing on cubase for years now and recently something strange started to happen, all of the sudden my stereo out is clipping. I do dj mixes so I have bought a professionally mastered song out of iTunes (lots of them) and when I open them up in cubase the meters are clipping, how is this possible? my meters are set at 0 as always have been but this clipping problem just started happening recently. It doesn't matter if I open new Tiesto's song bought from beatport or I open a vst instrument the meters are clipping in red.
Last edited by jameschicago at Nov 23, 2013,