Yeah im in a punk rock band, and i suck at writing songs. I really want to have songs like NoFX's like that of Bad Religion, too. Any tips???
when u say u suck ast writing songs u mean lyrics or progressions?
because if its progressions u gotta be kidding : choose 3 chords repeat in w/e order u want them. But with lyrics i dunno how to help you choose a topic and just like milkthe topic of everything so u can string words together to make something.
very simple recipe to make punk rock
1 take untrained vocals (normally untrained)
2 take power and barre chords at very fast speeds
3 bad tone (most of the time romans are an exception)
4 get a lot of gel to spike your hair
5 make up funny vocals

mix together until golden and youll have a good punk rock song
theres another way to make bad punk rock but i cant remember the recipe
(may be the same)
if you can play 4 chords repeatedly, sing with an angry tone, you're are well on your way to becoming a punk musician. Don't worry too much about lyrics, just shout at the top of your lungs
don't listen to those posts.

you sound like you're aimed at the more political/socially aware side of modern punk. i'm not a huge fan of BR's vocals, and NOFX can be really cheesy at times, but some of NOFX's serious songs are really awesome lyrically.

it's all about getting your message across and finding words that fit really well. Rhyming isn't so important if you can come up with quick, rhythmic lines that use educated words with a lot of alliteration (words that start with the same sound) and little tactics to surprise the listener.

Not all punk vocals are funny. In fact most aren't. It's possible to be political or intelligent without going over the top or using ridiculous profanity.
_______
|||||||||||||||
well if you are going for a politically aware and lyrically developed song then what you should do is figure out how broad your vocabulary is, thne think about how you feel towards politics or what ever you think about and write a poem (because music is just poems played over proggressions ie patti smith is the most basic form of this) and if your not the kind of person who can write a poem and put music to it then write a riff and record it with a loop station or something that can play it back and figure out sylables go over it (a la james hetfield) thne add words to the sylables thats the best way to go about it
Quote by dannyisokay

you sound like you're aimed at the more political/socially aware side of modern punk. i'm not a huge fan of BR's vocals, and NOFX can be really cheesy at times, but some of NOFX's serious songs are really awesome lyrically.

it's all about getting your message across and finding words that fit really well. Rhyming isn't so important if you can come up with quick, rhythmic lines that use educated words with a lot of alliteration (words that start with the same sound) and little tactics to surprise the listener.

Not all punk vocals are funny. In fact most aren't. It's possible to be political or intelligent without going over the top or using ridiculous profanity.

i never said they used cuss words to be funny, thats very low brow, but vocally they do go over the top with funny inuendos that insult politcal figures, which is wht makes punk so good to listen to
Quote by dannyisokay

Agreed. Punk Rock songs aren't always about being funny like you say dannyisokay, its often about Politics, religion, relationships and general, the anger towards those three topics! Energy is the key. But then again, humour is often employed as well like the other guy said. NOFX use that a lot and it makes them all the better for it.
When you look at NOFX or Bad Religion, you don't see them standing around do you? You have to write songs that have the ability to move you. Otherwise, not only will your audience be bored, but also you will be missing out on the only way that Punk Rock can display emotion. Although there are other means for which those bands can show some sought of emotion, but what makes Punk so cool is the breakneck energy and vibes you feel from it.
Thats why simplicity is the best option. You won't be ground breaking, and if you were, you wouldn't be called Punk Rock anyway. But even if your doing simple four chord changes for the verse's and then three chords for the chorus, you can still sound good.
Lyrics aren't something that someone can teach you neccassarily. Its more of a matter of it coming to you, particularly with Punk music. Just listen to something to take inspiration from, start screaming out any words you can, rapping so to speak and keep doing that until something you like appears in your throat and ears. Then write it down.
Or you can find a topic, a title and then start branching off from there in all the different directions. But remember, lyrics take work and effort and there not something you can just pen down and be perfect instantly. Corrections, alterations and changes in the wordings and ryhming schemes can improve songs drastically and can take on new meanings. And then, you will be different.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at May 19, 2008,
Yeh...all these people saying just play 3 chords have no clue what they're talkin about.....
But yeh, I'm a huge fan on bad religion, and NOFX...

Basicly what I do when writing songs, is come up with a catchy progression....easier said then done when your trying to make it as originol as possible. Then I just play it over and over while trying to think up lyrics to it in my head, I never right all the lyrics first, or all the music, It's just easier (for me anyway) to write them together....get your bass player to get a nice bass line for it, and then you got your drummer for any fills you'll need. All thats left after that is to have your lead player improvise over it a while as the band plays it a couple times until you got a nice finished song.

I write alot of songs influenced by those 2 bands...and that method works for me, so maybe it could work for you too.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
punk is good because you can sing about whatever you want and it pretty much always works. about the music... mostly major chords, 1st 4th 5th pattern power chords. pretty much everything has already been stated above.