Today i went to Guitar Center to fix my guitar's tuner. The guy took a look at my guitar and said that i needed a humidifier. Its more of a high end guitar with a pricetag of 700$. i really want to be able to keep the guitar for a long time. So my question is :
Is a humidifier really necessary?
absolutely and a case...if you dont get one u run a good chance of dryness and damage...warped soundboards...
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
you use humidifiers mainly in fall and winter when the air starts to get dry. in the spring there is quite a bit more rain, and in the summer your guitar should be fine as well. i was advised by my guitar store not to use the humidifier during summer at all.

but yea, its necessary to get a humidifier for a solid wood guitar. if the wood dries out it can shrink and crack.
Is a humidifier really necessary?

Depends on the climate where you live and the environment where your guitar will be kept.
It doesnt say your location under your username but basically if you live somewhere where the temperature gets below freezing you will definitely need one. If not, maybe, maybe not. Post back with more details.
Quote by tom183
Depends on the climate where you live and the environment where your guitar will be kept.
It doesnt say your location under your username but basically if you live somewhere where the temperature gets below freezing you will definitely need one. If not, maybe, maybe not. Post back with more details.

I live in SoCal and during the summer it's really hot and really really dry (hence why we have forest fires every other week), so a humdifier is used pretty much used year round.
I would just get one and follow the directions. It's 30 bucks, and 30 bucks could save you 700. There is a guideline on the Taylor website about how too much and too little humidity will hurt your guitar. So, even in the summer and spring, while not playing your guitar, put it in a hardshell case and shut it. Always put the hummidifer on it.
A humidifier is definitley a smart and cheap investment for the care of your guitar. You might also look for a hygrometer which will measure the humidity for you.

Quote by captivate
you use humidifiers mainly in fall and winter when the air starts to get dry. in the spring there is quite a bit more rain, and in the summer your guitar should be fine as well. i was advised by my guitar store not to use the humidifier during summer at all.

And captivate, you can't really give universal advice on humidifier use. Climates are different every where. Where I live, the winter is the wet season and the summers are dry. So really you just have to measure the humidity where your guitar is and humidify accordingly.

I believe that somewhere between 45-55% relative humidity is a good range.
^ True. I live in Japan, where humidity is high from May to October. So it might actually be better to leave the guitar outside the case to give the guitar a chance to "breathe." It's in the dry winters where I have to put the guitars in cases with humidifiers.
Quote by slidething31
A humidifier is definitley a smart and cheap investment for the care of your guitar. You might also look for a hygrometer which will measure the humidity for you.

And captivate, you can't really give universal advice on humidifier use. Climates are different every where. Where I live, the winter is the wet season and the summers are dry. So really you just have to measure the humidity where your guitar is and humidify accordingly.

I believe that somewhere between 45-55% relative humidity is a good range.

yea, i forgot to think about that, ahaha. trusay! trusay!
Not trying to hi-jack but I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast where it's very humid year-round...Would it be wise for me to get one? I've always thought that humidifiers were kind of a scam for guitars( Thought that keeping it stored in room temperature was enough) but the more folks I hear/write about it the more I think about the possibility of being wrong...Suggestions?
You might actually need a dessicant to tone down the humidity a bit.

Generally, "too much" humidity does less damage to guitars than "too low." I mean, if you live in a swamp where the humidity is 90%+ year round, then you might need to proactively store your guitars in a drier place, but it's much less critical than being in a desert-like environment (e.g. Western U.S.) where the air is so dry your guitar might shrivel up in no time.
I keep my basses in my gun case, which a humidifyer.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by engine11
Not trying to hi-jack but I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast where it's very humid year-round...Would it be wise for me to get one? I've always thought that humidifiers were kind of a scam for guitars( Thought that keeping it stored in room temperature was enough) but the more folks I hear/write about it the more I think about the possibility of being wrong...Suggestions?

if it's THAT humid, then you may actually need a dehumidifier.
Quote by TokyoNeko
You might actually need a dessicant to tone down the humidity a bit.

Generally, "too much" humidity does less damage to guitars than "too low." I mean, if you live in a swamp where the humidity is 90%+ year round, then you might need to proactively store your guitars in a drier place, but it's much less critical than being in a desert-like environment (e.g. Western U.S.) where the air is so dry your guitar might shrivel up in no time.

Makes sense...Thanks
well i dont really have time to buy a humidfier so what i do is i just take my guitar into my bathroom and take a shower. i think it works fine

note* the guitar is in the bathroom, not the shower...just in case anyone was confused
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by minixmin
well i dont really have time to buy a humidfier so what i do is i just take my guitar into my bathroom and take a shower. i think it works fine

note* the guitar is in the bathroom, not the shower...just in case anyone was confused

er... im not sure that's the best idea. guitars need a gradual humidity change for one... and second of all... you may overhumidify your guitar. also... humidifiers usually require you to use distilled water(water without minerals).