I was wondering what's the difference between the necks on an ESP, Ibanez, and Jackson guitar? Such as shape, size, and playability for metal.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Ibanez will tend to have thinner necks, sometimes theyll have wider necks, depends on the guitar. Esp has usually wider necks, also depends on the guitar. As for playability, they all are really fast, and easy to slide up and down. The thinner necks will be easier to hit chords because you dont have to stretch as much, but if u want insane fast metal solos, the wider neck will allow you to play cleaner because u have some room. All preference, and all different on the guitars. I say try many different models on all three and pick the one you like best. peace
Quote by thriller4life
I was wondering what's the difference between the necks on an ESP, Ibanez, and Jackson guitar? Such as shape, size, and playability for metal.

okay well for starters, esp/ltd has mostly "thin u" necks on their models(the exception being some signature models and other models because on those you can get extra thin u necks.) Ibanez is like world famous for the thinnest and flattest necks(wizard 1 and wizard 2-wizard 2 is 2 mm thicker than wizard 1) Jackson guitars have slightly thicker necks than ibanez and some come with compound radiuses if im not mistaken, meaning that the radius changes along a certain part of the neck. all these necks are "u" shaped. for me personally, i like the esp/ltd thin u neck best because i used to play a neck that was similar to ibanez necks, and my hand got tired quick. with the esp/ltd neck, it fits well if not perfect. for the playability for metal, id say it depends on your playing style and your hands. i have rather long fingers but i cant play a thin neck cuz of my playing style. all work great for metal though. just keep in mind that the esp/ltd neck is around 2-3.5 mm(more or less) thicker than the wizard 2. i personally dont mind it and i find it works best for me, but for otehrs-its a lose lose situation.
Thanks for the replies. Even though Ibanez has the smallest neck does that make it easier to play faster then say..a Schecter?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
Thanks for the replies. Even though Ibanez has the smallest neck does that make it easier to play faster then say..a Schecter?

That all depends on your hand structure... Some people can play faster on thin necks and some it fatigues there hands and can be quite painful. And the reverse can be said on like a les paul neck... Best thing to do is try them out for yourself.

The main thing that makes Ibanez necks faster is the Satin finish and the radius is almost flat.... The thin neck does help out some but its not for everyone...
Anymore opinions?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Bump^...

What kind of neck do you guys prefer and why?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955