Page 1 of 3
This is my second build. It is a esp style explorer. I drew it up freehand and also put some small bevels on it. I decided to have a go at making the neck and am very confident that I will succeed. Not as hard as I thought.

2 piece poplar body
hard rock maple neck with an oak skunk strip
esp reversed headstock
birdseye maple neck (from warmoth)
dunlop 6000 super jumbo frets
gold hardware
fixed bridge
either black or white in color.
GFS crunchy rail bridge pickup and a single coil in the neck

here are some pics that I have. I have been working on this in woodshop class at school. School is almost done so it will be finished at my house within the next couple months. I will post pictures through that time showing the progress. I still need to buy the fretboard and shape the neck and I need to buy all the electronics for it.

My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
imma sucker for xplorers... so im definetly following this one...
sweet.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
This looks like a good start, I'm eager to see how it progresses.

You freehanded the body shape but you measured the neck/scale length, right?
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by Missingno476
This looks like a good start, I'm eager to see how it progresses.

You freehanded the body shape but you measured the neck/scale length, right?

oh yeah, I took a lot of time double checking all of the measurements of the neck.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
Quote by LP Addict
good choice with the fender style headstock, they are very unappreciated and i believe, superior to the angled headstock in ease of making/reliability if done correctly.

Where was there a fender-style headstock? It looks like a reversed ESP-style to me .

TS, great job so far. I've never heard of "oak skunk" before, I'll have to look at that. About the color, definitely go black. That might be just me, but I'd take black over white on anything other than a jazz bass and a les paul.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Its not a fender headstock, but its built like one (notice the scoop-style headstock, NOT angled like gibson/jackson/kramer etc.).

The part that looks like a skateboard ramp, can't really think of any other way to describe it. it beats the **** out of doing a scarf joint, thats for sure.
Ooooooh. That's a boooty....beauty. Very sharp and BROOTALZ.......I likez its.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
+boners to this thread. ESP explorers look so much more BA than Gibson's
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
thanks for the comments everyone! I finished the shape of the neck today at school. Sometime within the next couple days I will begain shaping it and I will be sure to post some pictures.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
Am I the only one who noticed you have 2 necks? Your rock maple one, and your birdseye maple one from warmoth?

Other than that, looks like t3h mad seXx.

And... didn't you JUST do a build? Anyway good luck. What colour?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Am I the only one who noticed you have 2 necks? Your rock maple one, and your birdseye maple one from warmoth?

Other than that, looks like t3h mad seXx.

And... didn't you JUST do a build? Anyway good luck. What colour?

woops, I meant a birdeye maple FRETBOARD. And that other build I posted was from october I just didnt post it untill yesterday.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
got the neck shaping done. It is a really nice c shape.Was really quite easy even though it was my first time. I will order my fretboard, frets, and truss rod on tuesday. Should I get a birdseye maple or indian rosewood fretboard? I love birdseye maple but indian rosewood is beautiful. Opinions?

here are the pics. hopefully the headstock is strong enough.

My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
Poplar body? You're going to regret it later. Should've done a higher quality wood like Mahogany.
Quote by |Marco|
Poplar body? You're going to regret it later. Should've done a higher quality wood like Mahogany.

No I'm not. Have you ever played a poplar guitar?My other guitar I built is made of poplar and I very often get compliments on my tone. Poplar is a very decent tonewood. Sinilar to alder.

scroll down and read the description on poplar.

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
mannnnn, i want to build one of these, its looking awsome by the way
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
i vote maple birdseye for the fret board! looks so original... and is fasterr
Quote by buzzcut
No I'm not. Have you ever played a poplar guitar?My other guitar I built is made of poplar and I very often get compliments on my tone. Poplar is a very decent tonewood. Sinilar to alder.

scroll down and read the description on poplar.

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

I guess the poplar guitars I played were lower quality. Btw, your guitar is looking amazing so far. What are you planning on making the finish like? Just solid Black or White?
^^ not sure on the color yet. I already made a custom v that is white so I am thinking black on this one. I think black with a birdseye maple fretboard would be badass.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
Birdseye Maple would be amazing, just because I've never seen an explorer with one.
I didnt build this, but i painted it, and re-wired it with some EMGs. Just an idea for paint.
man, your lumber looks good, leave it be. NATURAL FINISH FTW!

Birdseye maple fingerboards totally rule. i dont hard-finish my birdseye maple boards, i just throw on some linseed oil and call it a day, the color changes, but i love a natural relic-look, not some poser-gay beat up my guitar relic.
Quote by |Marco|
I guess the poplar guitars I played were lower quality. Btw, your guitar is looking amazing so far. What are you planning on making the finish like? Just solid Black or White?

I think the first p-basses were made out of poplar. It's supposed to be terrible for drums tho. Not that that has anything to do with guitars i just wanted to sound "quite intresting" which i know i didn't so i'll shut up now.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by 420BTBAM
I didnt build this, but i painted it, and re-wired it with some EMGs. Just an idea for paint.

ahem, dan jacobs sig in black anyone ? haha

you should go with white on this!!!
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
If you're going with a maple fretboard then I'd definately leave the headstock natural too, I think maple fretboards with painted headstocks almost always look terrible, unless maybe if they're white. But black is a no-no for me.

But a black explorer with an all maple neck/headstock and a white/pearloid pickguard would look pretty damn sexy.
I think I am going to do white. I already have a white flying v but white guitars with maple fretboards are orgasmic.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
^^ thats the look Im going for except the ftretboard will be birdseye maple!
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
Quote by LP Addict
man, your lumber looks good, leave it be. NATURAL FINISH FTW!

Birdseye maple fingerboards totally rule. i dont hard-finish my birdseye maple boards, i just throw on some linseed oil and call it a day, the color changes, but i love a natural relic-look, not some poser-gay beat up my guitar relic.

as much as im a fan of natural/transparent finishes, poplar tends to not look as good natural as maple/mahogany/figured woods

not to mention, it somehow doesnt fit to have a natural ESP....

white looks good though
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
as much as im a fan of natural/transparent finishes, poplar tends to not look as good natural as maple/mahogany/figured woods

not to mention, it somehow doesnt fit to have a natural ESP....

white looks good though

Mhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. yummy.
Quote by -MintSauce-

i must say that is the best esp explorer i have ever seen.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by -MintSauce-

You gotta love these, now if only I had money
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
^^^ that is awesome. Maybee someday when I am more experianced and have more money I will build something like that.

I plan on buying the frets/truss rod, and birdseye maple freboard tommorow so hopefully it will be here by next weekend or so.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
paint it purple and zebra!!

lol.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave