The other guitarist in the band I'm in has a problem...

He's been playing 1 year and believes (strongly) that he is better than me who has been playing 3 years. Don't get me wrong...he's good for how long he's been playing but he's really annoying about it.

The original plan was a 4 piece metalcore band. He sings and plays guitar, I scream and play guitar (switching off leads and rhythms), a bassist, and a drummer. But now he's said "We need a lead singer because I can't sing all the time while always playing the lead." In that sentence he demoted me (if you look at it) to just a rhythm guitarist.

All the riffs I come up with he doesn't want to learn or jam with because he is sure his are better. And he wants stage names...not that they are bad...just cliche. And he's obsessed with Avenged Sevenfold...So I KNOW that has something to do with it.

I need help with dealing with him...

Edit: I like Avenged Sevenfold. So don't get all choppy about that. I just don't want to BE Avenged Sevenfold. And he just got the Zacky Vengeance haircut...

Another edit: I forgot to say this earlier, but he randomly changed our band name...no voting, just walked in and said that we are now Empire, or something like that. Kinda pissed us all off.
Call me Jeff if you want, I prefer that.
Last edited by xXmasqueradeXx at May 19, 2008,
Sounds like someone has an ego problem. That's you, by the way.
Maybe HE is better than YOU and it's YOU that has the ego problem.
Just try to work things out! Go along with it if you have to.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
just tell him straightforward to shut up. =/
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
1. Hes right you'll need lead singer.
2.Avenged Sevenfold rules.
3. Just get a lead singer have a "tryout" to see who the lead guitarist should be.
4. He should at least listen to what your riffs are and see if everyone else wants those riffs.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
well if your other members have a problem as well as you then you three should go talk to him and tell him whats up... try and find a solution... if not and he wont have it any other way then leave the band or kick him out... no sense in playing in a band if you arn't happy... if you let it drag on it'll only piss you off more and more... gluck
kick em' out.
he'll learn to stop being such a controlling dickhead.
or
you could just bring this up to him.
tell him that your band is NOT Avenged Sevenfold,
so you guys have no business being just like them.
and you guys should use each others riffs.
not just yours that'll solve some of the problem.
its really simple when you look at it from the outside
i hope i've helped.
That is not what i was trying to say!

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by smb
Sounds like someone has an ego problem. That's you, by the way.

lol what a dick^.. glad he got banned

..about the band problem, you should try to hint on not getting a lead singer,, show him your really good screaming and playing lead... make him want to keep you as lead/singer
you guys got a myspace?
Quote by JOE_DESTROYER

..about the band problem, you should try to hint on not getting a lead singer,, show him your really good screaming and playing lead... make him want to keep you as lead/singer
you guys got a myspace?

We don't got a MySpace cuz we don't have anything to record with. We're all pretty poor...
Quote by JOE_DESTROYER
A dick? Or just someone who calls a spade a spade? There's no reason to be bugged about how good he thinks he is - he's entitled to his own delusion. And mixing up who takes the rhythm parts isn't some kind of demotion but a reasonable way to refresh songwriting and performance. I think the threadstarter is more concerned about his own self-image and pointless semantics than just enjoying playing music with friends.
Quote by smb
A dick? Or just someone who calls a spade a spade? There's no reason to be bugged about how good he thinks he is - he's entitled to his own delusion. And mixing up who takes the rhythm parts isn't some kind of demotion but a reasonable way to refresh songwriting and performance. I think the threadstarter is more concerned about his own self-image and pointless semantics than just enjoying playing music with friends.

I'm not concerned about my own self image...I just don't enjoy being under appreciated and pushed around.
Quote by xXmasqueradeXx
I'm not concerned about my own self image...I just don't enjoy being under appreciated and pushed around.
You're not being pushed around - he's asked you to sing because he can't sing while playing some guitar parts. Seems reasonable to me. And wanting your band mates to show their appreciation of you can only be for the purposes of stoking your own opinion of yourself. What else does it achieve?
Quote by smb
You're not being pushed around - he's asked you to sing because he can't sing while playing some guitar parts. Seems reasonable to me. And wanting your band mates to show their appreciation of you can only be for the purposes of stoking your own opinion of yourself. What else does it achieve?

He didn't ask me to sing, he said "We need a lead singer" not suggesting anyone currently in the band. And so your saying band mates should say nothing to each other? Not make each other feel good about themselves? I tell him his riffs are good and that I have one he might like, but he says mine sucks.
Quote by xXmasqueradeXx
He didn't ask me to sing, he said "We need a lead singer" not suggesting anyone currently in the band. And so your saying band mates should say nothing to each other? Not make each other feel good about themselves? I tell him his riffs are good and that I have one he might like, but he says mine sucks.
Fair enough - sounds like you do have genuine grievances. This will only be solved through communication and making it clear that rather than it being a competition you're just a bunch of guys having fun. Try and write more music together.
Why would you keep somebody like that? People that egotistical should be sterilized. Not kidding. Shave his head while he's asleep, tie him to his bed with his guitar strings, and tell it to him straight.

Peace
Richard: Sarcasm is the refuge of losers.
Frank: [sarcastically] Really?
Richard: Sarcasm is losers trying to bring winners down to their level.
Frank: [sarcastically] Thank you for opening my eyes to what a loser I am!
he changed your band name?
wow kick that fcking ego maniac out now!
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Dude, tell him that you are fed up with his bull**** and tell him if you think that you are better than me lets settle this shyt for once and for all with a guitar battle (trust me they work)

I had the same problem but I was the kid that had 1 year experience and he played for 4 years.

I beat him out for the Lead guitarist spot BTW. ...but I chose to make our band with duel guitarists which I think would works best for a band's rhythm and lead guitarists.
Quote by xXmasqueradeXx
The other guitarist in the band I'm in has a problem...

He's been playing 1 year and believes (strongly) that he is better than me who has been playing 3 years. Don't get me wrong...he's good for how long he's been playing but he's really annoying about it.

The original plan was a 4 piece metalcore band. He sings and plays guitar, I scream and play guitar (switching off leads and rhythms), a bassist, and a drummer. But now he's said "We need a lead singer because I can't sing all the time while always playing the lead." In that sentence he demoted me (if you look at it) to just a rhythm guitarist.

All the riffs I come up with he doesn't want to learn or jam with because he is sure his are better. And he wants stage names...not that they are bad...just cliche. And he's obsessed with Avenged Sevenfold...So I KNOW that has something to do with it.

I need help with dealing with him...

Edit: I like Avenged Sevenfold. So don't get all choppy about that. I just don't want to BE Avenged Sevenfold. And he just got the Zacky Vengeance haircut...

Another edit: I forgot to say this earlier, but he randomly changed our band name...no voting, just walked in and said that we are now Empire, or something like that. Kinda pissed us all off.

Seriously?
It doesn't matter if one of you is better than the other or which one of you that is. Because it's NOT a competition. What matters is how well you play together and complement each other's styles.
What's up with stage names anyway? Personaly, I'm going under the monicker of Quazi Washboard at to moment, but I've also been known as Mr. Phix, Ripsnort Slugg and Dave the Bastard in the past.
Stage names are a traditional part of the performing arts. It stops fans from looking up your address and coming to look for you, it also stops hecklers that you have just embarrased and put in their place from doing the same thing.
It means your boss at work is less likely to find out you've been taking time off to go and play gigs and when all else is said and done, it's the best way to hide from the tax man.
Try to get the band to work as a commitee, and make all decisions based on a vote, that way, if the band says he has to learn your riffs, then he has to do it. But be warned, if they agree with him, you also have to stick by the band's decision.
This would also sort out the band naming problem too.
To be honest, it sounds as though he's trying to take the incentive and be band leader, which is important, all bands need someone to focus the band, but behind every leader, there should be a commitee telling him what he can and can't get away with.

Oh yeah, one more thing... get a singer. That way you can both concentrate 100% on playing your instruments and the whole thing will sound better.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Seriously?
It doesn't matter if one of you is better than the other or which one of you that is. Because it's NOT a competition. What matters is how well you play together and complement each other's styles.
What's up with stage names anyway? Personaly, I'm going under the monicker of Quazi Washboard at to moment, but I've also been known as Mr. Phix, Ripsnort Slugg and Dave the Bastard in the past.
Stage names are a traditional part of the performing arts. It stops fans from looking up your address and coming to look for you, it also stops hecklers that you have just embarrased and put in their place from doing the same thing.
It means your boss at work is less likely to find out you've been taking time off to go and play gigs and when all else is said and done, it's the best way to hide from the tax man.
Try to get the band to work as a commitee, and make all decisions based on a vote, that way, if the band says he has to learn your riffs, then he has to do it. But be warned, if they agree with him, you also have to stick by the band's decision.
This would also sort out the band naming problem too.
To be honest, it sounds as though he's trying to take the incentive and be band leader, which is important, all bands need someone to focus the band, but behind every leader, there should be a commitee telling him what he can and can't get away with.

Oh yeah, one more thing... get a singer. That way you can both concentrate 100% on playing your instruments and the whole thing will sound better.

Well it's not the fact that he does all that, that pisses me off...it's the way he does it.

Like a pompous ass.
i agree with slacker yet again, reminds me of the new rolling stones movie, shine a light: they asked the 2 gutarists keith richards and ronnie wood (individually) who played better and keith sed: alone we are both pretty lousy guitarist but when playing together we are better than 10 other.

thats the right spirit but from wat i heard, i would talk to other band members and see how they feel, if they feel like you do, kik the guy out if they like the guy, live with it or quit.