Alright so my son decided today that he was going to purchase a new amp to replace the Fender 15W practice amp I bought him a few years back. He's expressed interests in the Line 6 Spider III 30W amp, is this a good buy? I'm a classic guitar kind of guy (Fender, Gibson, Marshall, etc.) and I don't know anything about this company. Any help is appreciated!
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
I've played a 15W Spider III and thought it was pretty cool. It's got a few built-in effects (flanger, phaser, rotary, and a delay, I think). I didn't really like the delay but the flanger, rotary and phaser were pretty cool. I dunno how loud the 15W would go, I was playing in a small room so it was down real low.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
If he's gonna get a modeling amp, might as well spend a little more and get the Valvetronix or the Roland Cube.

I'm not a Spider bagger like some, but I'm not gonna lie, he can do better. If he really wants Line 6 he should bypass the SIII and get a Flextone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
The Spider really isn't great at all and won't be much of an upgrade in sound over the Fender, only in volume.

I'd suggest you go with a Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube like BaffAttack said, that way, he still has all the effects but it will sound much better and last him a lot longer.

If he already has effects of his own or wouldn't really use them anyway, I would suggest maybe getting him and Ephiphone Valve Junior or Crate V5, the combo is quite cheap and for the price it sounds great. However, they both don't pack much gain until you start turning it up, so if he likes to play with a lot of distortion, he'll probably need a pedal for it unless you want him cranking the amp all the time (and yes, 5W is still pretty loud).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 19, 2008,
I am a spider bagger and i would recommend pretty much anything else in his price range. I speak because i know before i sold my spider for a valveking i actually went back to my fender and PREFERRED the tone to the spider.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Okay, thanks a lot.

So you're all basically saying that he should save up a lot more money and buy something else/better?

Quote by Kartman

I would say no. I have a Line6 Spider II 75W and it's crap, the sound just isn't right. I( have a Fender 15W practice amp to an i prefer that sound over the Line6.

However i do have a Spider II not a Spider III but I will NEVER buy a Line6 again.
Bitch Stole My Taco!
Quote by Sloopy
Okay, thanks a lot.

So you're all basically saying that he should save up a lot more money and buy something else/better?

Yes
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Quote by umbrellacorp
Yes

Will do. Thanks all!

Quote by Kartman

not a lot more.
a blackheart, valve junior, crate v5 or v18, or a vox valvetronix are all about the same price.
I own 2 spider amps. The 15W and the 75W. I used both for a gig and trust me, they both get really loud, especially the 75 lol. It was in a semi-big auditorium, so it's not like it was in a small room. And as far sound sound quality. In my opinion (maybe not others, but mine for sure) it's great for almost any kind of genre you might play. I play more metal/rock stuff, so it might vary depending on what exactly you like to play, but my friends play a lot of lighter stuff and so does my neighbor and they all really enjoyed playing on that amp. In my honest opinion, I say go for it, it's worth it. 75W has more features, but if you want to keep the price down and still get a great amp, then 15W is great too, just doesn't have quite as much features.
Quote by Sloopy
Okay, thanks a lot.

Not at all actually, he doesn't have to if he wants a new amp now.

Both tube amps I suggested are the same price as the 30W Spider is (I'd suggest you get the halfstack if he were to go with the Valve Junior, it has a bigger speaker than the combo). But like I'd said, if he needs the effects or a lot of distortion, he'll need pedals for it.

The Vox AD30VT is $50 more than the Spider he's looking at and is much better sounding, but is more suited for anything but metal. The Roland Cube 30 is $30 more and is, again, better sounding than the Spider, however, this amp is more suited for Metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by xxCHANCExx
I own 2 spider amps. The 15W and the 75W. I used both for a gig and trust me, they both get really loud, especially the 75 lol. It was in a semi-big auditorium, so it's not like it was in a small room. And as far sound sound quality. In my opinion (maybe not others, but mine for sure) it's great for almost any kind of genre you might play. I play more metal/rock stuff, so it might vary depending on what exactly you like to play, but my friends play a lot of lighter stuff and so does my neighbor and they all really enjoyed playing on that amp. In my honest opinion, I say go for it, it's worth it. 75W has more features, but if you want to keep the price down and still get a great amp, then 15W is great too, just doesn't have quite as much features.

I don't hate spiders, in fact, I almost bought the 15watt one as my first amp, but honestly, there are much better amps in the price range of the 30w and 75w versions. The 15 watt is the only one that is worth its price. Any more, and you're paying for making a mediocre practice amp a little louder. A cheap tube amp, or a valvetronix, cube, or maybe a used flextone would be a much better option.