Good rule of thumb = a higher action will give you more sustain. So, an easy way to do so is to set your action higher, but not so high that it's ridiculous or uncomfortable to play.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
1 - What guitar do you have?

2 - What amp do you have?

3 - How good is your vibrato technique?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Baff Attack:

What the hell is an action?

Zaphod:

1) Brownsville IS300 (I think).

2) Guitar Research VL-20.

3) It's alright. Not godlike.

Blues:

Ok then. Effects it is.
Quote by Indiana Jenkins
How do I get more sustain on my guitar?

Bad sustain can come from a number of things.

The type of bridge: Floyd Rose bridges tend to lower sustain unless stabalized.

The type of neck: Bolt on necks usually have less sustain than set necks. Set necks have less sustain than through-body necks.

Pressure on the strings: Easily put, the harder you push, the better your sustain. However, you SHOULD NOT push on them as hard as you can to get better sustain. There is a point where you can't get anymore sustain, even if you pushed 3x harder! Also, if you push too hard, you can make the note sharp.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Quote by Indiana Jenkins
Baff Attack:

You have GOT to be kidding me...

"Action", or as you put it, "an action" is how high the string is from the frets. Jeez learn your guitar anatomy...
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Quote by Indiana Jenkins
Baff Attack:

Action refers to how high or low your strings are off of your fret board. Check this one out.

EDIT:
Quote by guitarist10

"Action", or as you put it, "an action" is how high the string is from the frets. Jeez learn your guitar anatomy...

now now we can't all be as smart as some people and learn everything just by touching the instrument, my blessed friend.
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
Quote by Indiana Jenkins

Hahahahaha, I might sig that.
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Last edited by Zangetsu 101 at May 19, 2008,
Quote by Indiana Jenkins
Zaphod:

Ok, so your gear is anything but awesome; I would advise 3 things, in order of importance they are:

1 - Work on your vibrato technique. Good vibrato technique can add to your sustain by so much it's ridiculous. the key is to make it not too fast; too fast and you'll kill the note but too slow and it will die anyway.

2 - A better amp. A good amp will add to your sustain as well, if you can afford it I'd suggest you get a small tube amp like an Epiphone Valve Junior combo or a Blackstar (I can't remember the model name).

3 - Compression. If all else fails you should get a decent compression pedal, this evens out the signal so the loud parts are quieter and the quieter parts louder which has the net effect of more sustain.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by sidvicious182
it also depends on your guitar. a guitar with a bolt on neck will obviously have less sustain than one without a bolt on

If Steve Vai can get "For the Love of God" out of a bolt on neck then it doesn't make that much difference.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ok, so your gear is anything but awesome; I would advise 3 things, in order of importance they are:

1 - Work on your vibrato technique. Good vibrato technique can add to your sustain by so much it's ridiculous. the key is to make it not too fast; too fast and you'll kill the note but too slow and it will die anyway.

2 - A better amp. A good amp will add to your sustain as well, if you can afford it I'd suggest you get a small tube amp like an Epiphone Valve Junior combo or a Blackstar (I can't remember the model name).

3 - Compression. If all else fails you should get a decent compression pedal, this evens out the signal so the loud parts are quieter and the quieter parts louder which has the net effect of more sustain.

Just FYI Blackstar amps are $1500 for the 15w version. Methinks you're thinking of Blackheart.
Quote by biased644
Just FYI Blackstar amps are $1500 for the 15w version. Methinks you're thinking of Blackheart.

That's the one...no wonder I couldn't find what I was looking for on musiciansfriend, I just thought they didn't stock the low end models

Blackheart Little Giant was what I was looking for *facepalm*

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If Steve Vai can get "For the Love of God" out of a bolt on neck then it doesn't make that much difference.

Steve Vai also has a Fernandes Sustainer pickup in some of his guitars.
Quote by FireandFlames
Steve Vai also has a Fernandes Sustainer pickup in some of his guitars.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZuNM3HmU4&feature=related

That one doesn't.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yea learn what action is lols. I use a compressor to get more sustain I play metal you have to get a good true bypass not a cheap one or it will **** you over. I recommend boss effects there site is www.bossus.com or pick one up at guitar center.
Quote by guitarist10

dude maybe he's not american i'm dutch i didnt know what action was at first
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Indiana Jenkins
Baff Attack:

Zaphod:

Blues:

Ok then. Effects it is.

Learn2guitar.

At any rate, sustain is mostly a guitar/amp thing. The better they are, the better it will be. Volume can help you feedback notes, turning them into sustain, though.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at May 20, 2008,