Page 1 of 2
I'm playing in a funk band right now and a couple other groups, however, i just got an offer from a Punk rock group that has a great rep around my area. I was just looking at adding another bass to my collection and wanted to know what some good punk style basses were, in your opinion.

Thanks
Gear:

Ernie Ball/Musicman Stingray HH
Schecter Model T
GK 1001RB
2 GK 4X10 GLX
BP-50 Bass Effect Pedal
I think fender P basses and Jazz basses are good for punk, i use an Active jazz deluxe and its great, it has a nice tone and works nicely for punk. P basses also are good to give you a punchy tone so whichever you like better.
Good point Copius...kinda new to the punk scene.
What about stingrays?
Gear:

Schecter Model T
GK 1001RB
2 GK 4X10 GLX
BP-50 Bass Effect Pedal
stingrays are amazing also good for punk. One day i'm gonna have enough money for one.. one day far far away
Having come up with the first generation of punk, P basses were the bass of choice for most 1st and 2nd generation punk bass players I played with. If you were more financially stable, you might get a Rickenbacker. However, few us were THAT financially stable, lol.

Stingrays would work as well. And some one will probably recommend a Thunderbird. Feel free to ignore them if you wish...
^are thunder birds really bad? I see alot of people knocking 'em on the forums, they look pretty sweet, but do they sound bad. I'm not planning on getting one im happy with my Fender im just curious
I have a personal adversion to Tbirds for reasons you will find others stating elsewhere--neck dive, poor fret access and bad construction (on the Epiphone models).

However, for the context of this thread, I think they have the wrong tone for punk. To me they don't have the bright sharp tone you'll find with a Precision or the other basses people have mentioned. To me this bass tone is elemental to a good Punk bass sound.
ohhhhhhhhhhh okay well thankyou for enlightening me =]

I agree with anarkee though go for a P bass, or in my personal onpion i like Jazz basses but whatever feels right to you
I play punk, and I use a P-Bass but for heavier stuff I do use my Thunderbird.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
The people have spoken. Punk was built on the Precision. More ska-esque bands often sport Jazz or Stingray toting bassists instead, but I find the most common, most "typical" punk tone is a P being hammered by a pick.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Right now i'm playing a Schecter Model T with a pick...not bad
Gear:

Schecter Model T
GK 1001RB
2 GK 4X10 GLX
BP-50 Bass Effect Pedal
fast paced punk- stingray

pop punk- p-bass

my punk- mark hoppus p bass with p-bass pup carved out and a stingray humbucker in its place. :]
good point.
So, say i get a stingray...what is the good/bad of getting the piezo/humbucker vs just the humbucker?
Gear:

Schecter Model T
GK 1001RB
2 GK 4X10 GLX
BP-50 Bass Effect Pedal
The good is you'll have more options as to what you want you sound like.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Are there any Drawbacks?
Gear:

Schecter Model T
GK 1001RB
2 GK 4X10 GLX
BP-50 Bass Effect Pedal
Quote by anarkee
Having come up with the first generation of punk, P basses were the bass of choice for most 1st and 2nd generation punk bass players I played with. If you were more financially stable, you might get a Rickenbacker. However, few us were THAT financially stable, lol.

Stingrays would work as well. And some one will probably recommend a Thunderbird. Feel free to ignore them if you wish...

I feel P-basses were and will always be the sound of early & tide and true punk. However, modern "punk" has evolved into that dangerously bad generic tone, welcomed so easily by buying a sub-$500 Ibanez and turning up all the knobs.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
i played in a punk band with a p-bass and a warwick thumb bass. the thumb was my bass of choice once i decided i was done with root notes but if that's all the **** you'll be doing you can't go wrong with a p-bass
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by UtBDan
I feel P-basses were and will always be the sound of early & tide and true punk. However, modern "punk" has evolved into that dangerously bad generic tone, welcomed so easily by buying a sub-$500 Ibanez and turning up all the knobs.

I disagree. Every single pop-punk band I have seen use pbass, I am not sure about normal punk, however.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Real punk musicians can't afford bass guitars.

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
The P bass/Ampeg SVT + 810 seems to be what all the punkers use nowadays.

You could use a Stingray but they're so expensive! If punk's just gonna be a phase for you, i'd get the MIA DLX P bass or J bass, it'll have a punk tone and its way more versitile allowing you to find a sound for a lot of genres, for a similar price to the one trick pony that is the Stingray.

What I would do is see how you go with this band; if you like the band, the music and potential to have fun, then get a bass to nail the sound later on down the road. If you don't like the band, then you've not bought a $1500 Stingray that you don't liek the sound when playing jazz music.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
its a toss-up between a fender P bass and Jazz bass. which ever feels more comfortable to you. i personally choose a blue p bass.
I used my Stingray in a punk band last year; it was sexcellent.

It's odd, I always thought of the Fender Jazz as a much better rock bass than the Precision, which is better for R&B, funk, soul, etc. The Jazz has an excellent rock sound; just listen to early Blind Melon to see what I mean. Not punk, but a good sound nonetheless. The P-bass is just too wooly and big to lend itself to fast tempos. When you try to brighten it up, it just gets clanky and weird.

Most of the so-called "punk" bands (which happen to be worth loads of money; not so punk, huh?) around only use the P-bass/SVT/8x10 setup because its the cool thing to do. That's fine for classic rock, but if you want nasty, zippity-go-fast punk tone, J-bass into a Trace Elliot or GK. But then again, punk is apparently 90% image and 10% music, so whatever floats your boat.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by UtBDan

justify that blatently sweeping generalisation of punk music or stfu
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
It's punk man, use whatever bass you want. ONE TWO THREE FO'!
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
I would like to pipe up the optionof the Warwick.

Not a traditional punk bass, but with a very clear, aggressive tone, they can definately handle the genre.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Caustic
The people have spoken. Punk was built on the Precision. More ska-esque bands often sport Jazz or Stingray toting bassists instead, but I find the most common, most "typical" punk tone is a P being hammered by a pick.

Dead on.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
p bass!! man
p is for punk bass
or any bass with a p pickup is great for that punchines you want in punk
being a punk bassist myself let me tell you one think
part of punk rules is that there are no written or strict rules but IMO bass in punk is about filling the sound of the guitar and giving energy to the music
but again no real rules if your tone is great with other kind of bass then great also i think the t shctter has a p pick up and that where most of the punchines of a p bass comes from plus de bridge pickup that should add that growlines in punk bass
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by mountaindew88
I used my Stingray in a punk band last year; it was sexcellent.

It's odd, I always thought of the Fender Jazz as a much better rock bass than the Precision, which is better for R&B, funk, soul, etc. The Jazz has an excellent rock sound; just listen to early Blind Melon to see what I mean. Not punk, but a good sound nonetheless. The P-bass is just too wooly and big to lend itself to fast tempos. When you try to brighten it up, it just gets clanky and weird.

Most of the so-called "punk" bands (which happen to be worth loads of money; not so punk, huh?) around only use the P-bass/SVT/8x10 setup because its the cool thing to do. That's fine for classic rock, but if you want nasty, zippity-go-fast punk tone, J-bass into a Trace Elliot or GK. But then again, punk is apparently 90% image and 10% music, so whatever floats your boat.

you are talking about green day or something similar right?
yeah if you are talking about that kind of "punk" then i agree
but there are some serius punk bands out there
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
punk is founded on simplicity and the essence of Rock (always fast, 2-3 chords a song, rebelious lyrics...).
the most basic bass that signified this essence was the P-bass, usually white or black.
punk is about essence. the first basses to drive it were p-basses, and will always be p-basses, because that is the way punk works.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
punk is founded on simplicity and the essence of Rock (always fast, 2-3 chords a song, rebelious lyrics...).
the most basic bass that signified this essence was the P-bass, usually white or black.
punk is about essence. the first basses to drive it were p-basses, and will always be p-basses, because that is the way punk works.

And so I always thought as well until I did a bit of research tonight. Interestingly enough, one of punk bass' larger than life players, Klaus Flouride defined the bottom for the Dead Kennedys with yes, a 1966 Fender Jazz Bass. I was quite surprised.
Quote by Bayce Masta
Right now i'm playing a Schecter Model T with a pick...not bad

Wait...you were in a funk band and you played with a pick?

Interesting...
Quote by anarkee
And so I always thought as well until I did a bit of research tonight. Interestingly enough, one of punk bass' larger than life players, Klaus Flouride defined the bottom for the Dead Kennedys with yes, a 1966 Fender Jazz Bass. I was quite surprised.

Quote by IndianRockStar
Just to throw out some defense for Jazz Basses, Klaus Flouride of the Dead Kennedys used one, and he has IMO one of the best punk tones out there.

That aside, is it just me, or does he have some nasty (good) overdrive going a lot of the time?
Quote by IndianRockStar

That aside, is it just me, or does he have some nasty (good) overdrive going a lot of the time?

IRS, I apologize. Yeah, I now caught your post on the first page. It wasn't having the best of days yesterday, and I think if you had shouted that at my face I still would have missed the point...

And yes, his tone is really good nasty...
Other basses to consider:

Fender Mustang
Fender Bronco
Gibson Grabber
Gibson Ripper

I would still go with a Stingray or a P-bass myself, but if you can get your hands only these I would at least give them a whirl.
This is kind of specific and kinda n00by question, but I figure this thread is probably the most suitable I've seen thus far for it:

Does anyone know what John Samson played on early Propagandhi records (Less Talk, More Rock specifically)?

I haven't played a whole lot of different bass guitars, but I've yet to play anything that's got that really metallic trebley tone on that record. I figure it's going to be partly to do with aggressive pick style but..

Anyone?
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by anarkee

I still believe so. some punk rockers just don't give a #@$ %*
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Page 1 of 2