So this may be borderline noobish, not "starter" noob but I'm still no professional or whiz. I've been playing for a few years now (three or four) and i have a pretty good grasp on mechanics and i can play some intricate stuff, and i've actually gotten better at improv stuff. But recently i've noticed myself pretty much stuck in using pentatonic scales in all my song making and improvising for a while now, and its getting pretty tough to get out of this rut. Is there any recommendation for getting out of this habit? I'm working on learning the major and minor scales, but i dont have a good grasp of the notes on the fretboard yet (memorizing them) so i'm just wondering if there are any recommendations on scales or methods to try to broaden my improvising and song writing methods away from the pentatonic scales. Thanks in advance, constructive criticism is welcome.
Start learning the diatonic scale.

It gives you a much more modal sound and is very fun to improvise with.
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Quote by rhcpfan27
Start learning the diatonic scale.

It gives you a much more modal sound and is very fun to improvise with.

There are many diatonic scales. I believe you're referring to the major scale.
Quote by :-D
There are many diatonic scales. I believe you're referring to the major scale.

Yeah thats what i mean.

Thanks for clarifying
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Yeah I've been working on the major scale here and there, but my lack of knowledge of note location on the fret board has hindered the hell out of any kind of progression in that. I'm just so sick of playing the same licks over and over in the same shapes, my solos and leads just seem to lifeless and repetitive
Quote by CryogeniX
Yeah I've been working on the major scale here and there, but my lack of knowledge of note location on the fret board has hindered the hell out of any kind of progression in that. I'm just so sick of playing the same licks over and over in the same shapes, my solos and leads just seem to lifeless and repetitive

Did you read my post that I linked you to?
What may actually change your soloing skills on terms of melody, will be trying to improvise on different backgrounds and music styles. If you stick to a common rock, punk or traditional progresion you will get the same sound always.
If you add new chords, with 7th and 9th, changing rythms and playing the same pentatonic scale, youl' see a new style of yourself.