I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle soon. I don't have a lot of experience riding one though, so would 550cc's be too much? The bike is a 1974 Honda CB550, going for $700(us). The insurance is pretty cheap and I think this would be something nice to learn on.

My grandparents have a huge yard that I could practice in, but I don't want to feel like a huge dork doing that.

Also, bike accidents.....whats the best way to avoid them? Does a loud exhaust make a difference?
Yeah, it would be too much.
Get a smaller CC bike, a beginner wouldn't be able to handle 550cc's of power.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by lolcats
Get good leathers.

Becuase you WILL fall off.

True, lolcats.
Very, very true.

BEDBUGS
get one. you'll look kick ass on one. for added effect, you could get a Zakk Wylde BLS leather Jacket
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
im interested in a motorcycle too. the only problems i have is rain and idk if my weight would prevent me from riding one(i weigh like 250). isn't insurance more then a car because of the risk factor? and would it really be better on gas?
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by ratmblink123
Yeah, it would be too much.
Get a smaller CC bike, a beginner wouldn't be able to handle 550cc's of power.

It's from 1974 and not a race bike, 50bhp max. Serious?
Quote by Ghost_bass
im interested in a motorcycle too. the only problems i have is rain and idk if my weight would prevent me from riding one(i weigh like 250). isn't insurance more then a car because of the risk factor? and would it really be better on gas?

I just got quoted $300/year for a motorcycle. But thats mostly because the one I want is old as ****
so older= less expensive? awesome i like the look of older ones more
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
so older= less expensive? awesome i like the look of older ones more

Older, under 600cc, road/touring(not a race bike) = cheaper

EDIT: This is the bike I want to get
Last edited by cheese_grater at May 19, 2008,
Quote by cheese_grater
It's from 1974 and not a race bike, 50bhp max. Serious?

Most likely, man. My brother started on a 250cc (granted, he only rides it at the track, and it's a street bike). But, I think if you're just starting out, then 550 would be a bit much.
But it really depends on your size. How tall are you, how much do you weigh?

BEDBUGS
To ratmblink123,

550cc's is baby-****(I'm used to 1500's and the huge Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT which has a 2053 cc engine). A beginner can more than handle that. You just need some smarts and good leathers and or thick denim. Furthermore, bike engines in the 70's were weak compared to what we're able to crank out now. I'm sure a 250 cruiser could out-do it in power. Then again, I haven't seen or rode the bike.

To TS:
I'd go for it. I advise that you take a rider's course though, they'll tell you all the things you need to know, including how to react in the event of a wreck.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by ratmblink123
Most likely, man. My brother started on a 250cc (granted, he only rides it at the track, and it's a street bike). But, I think if you're just starting out, then 550 would be a bit much.
But it really depends on your size. How tall are you, how much do you weigh?

I'm 5'5" and 120lbs, short and stick like.
Quote by Just_a_picker
To ratmblink123,

550cc's is baby-****(I'm used to 1500's and the huge Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT which has a 2053 cc engine). A beginner can more than handle that. You just need some smarts and good leathers and or thick denim. Furthermore, bike engines in the 70's were weak compared to what we're able to crank out now. I'm sure a 250 cruiser could out-do it in power. Then again, I haven't seen or rode the bike.

To TS:
I'd go for it. I advise that you take a rider's course though, they'll tell you all the things you need to know, including how to react in the event of a wreck.

My dad has been riding since he was about 13, I'm pretty sure he'd be more then willing to help me out too.
Quote by cheese_grater
I'm 5'5" and 120lbs, short and stick like.

If you have a little bit of strength to you, you ought to be able to do it. Two or three years ago, I was that size and managed to ride an 883 cc Harley that weighs 600 plus pounds. Also, keep in mind at speeds under 20 mph, it's harder to keep the bike up than it is at around 30 to 60. Be careful about wind. And most of your braking is front-braking. Alot of people die because of not knowing how to corner and use the brakes properly. TAKE A RIDER'S COURSE.

EDIT: ^ Yeah, that's a good idea, but still it's reccomended that you take a rider's course, I can't stress it enough.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by Just_a_picker
If you have a little bit of strength to you, you ought to be able to do it. Two or three years ago, I was that size and managed to ride an 883 cc Harley that weighs 600 plus pounds. Also, keep in mind at speeds under 20 mph, it's harder to keep the bike up than it is at around 30 to 60. Be careful about wind. And most of your braking is front-braking. Alot of people die because of not knowing how to corner and use the brakes properly. TAKE A RIDER'S COURSE.

I work in a factory were we build mobile homes, of course I have some strength.

Anyways, I used to ride a 600cc snowmobile, would any of that experience help?
i dont mean to take over your thread but would it be a completely dumb idea to get a bike without a garage? could i just get a cover for when it rains etc.?
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
i dont mean to take over your thread but would it be a completely dumb idea to get a bike without a garage? could i just get a cover for when it rains etc.?

It's cool

My fear wouldn't be rain as much as somebody stealing it.
i live on the outside of a small town and my house is pretty secluded. congrats on making me save up for a bike now and probably pissing my mom off in the act lol
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
i live on the outside of a small town and my house is pretty secluded. congrats on making me save up for a bike now and probably pissing my mom off in the act lol

Hell yea! I'm doing the same thing, my mom wants to murder me.
I've been thinking about it, but more and more I keep thinking that its more practical to get a used car. I mean you cant lug **** around on a bike and the weather becomes an issue. Still considering it. What are you guys opinions?
weather is an issue for me but i figure i can use my mom or brothers car if i really NEED to be somewhere and its raining or get a ride form someone else
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
I've been thinking about getting a bike just because of the gas economy. A decent number of models can get 60+ MPG. The best that I've found that is sold in the US gets 85ish. And there are models that can get over 120 MPG, that are sold overseas(Because if 85ishMPG isn't un-American enough then 100+ definently is). But I'll probably have to wait till I'm 18, because my mom hates motorcycles. Just because every one of her friends that every had a motorcycle died in a wreck. I think she's exaggerating when she tells me that, though.
I think a good starter motorcycle would be a Harley-Davidson Roadster. Not too big, but big enough to be considered a motorcycle...

Edit: Sorry about large size....first pic I found...
Quote by cheese_grater
^sportster you mean?

aw sh*t yeah....I was meaning to replace it correctly in my edit too, but it slipped my mind....yes Sportster...
you dont live near quakertown pennsylevania do you cheese? the same bike as yours is on craigslist in quakertown for 600$
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
you dont live near quakertown pennsylevania do you cheese? the same bike as yours is on craigslist in quakertown for 600$

No, the pic isn't the exact bike I'm looking at just the same model. The one I want to get is maroon.
oh cool. im thinking about maybe picking this one up just because its really cheap
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
oh cool. im thinking about maybe picking this one up just because its really cheap

Yea, and you can get new bars for them and they look sexy as hell.