I know peavey threw down some SICK guitars in the late 80's/early 90's. did they come up with any sweet high-gain tube amps? How is the ultra 60 head? not the ultra plus 120, i know those are pretty rad, but a little pricey on the used market. any other sweet ones?
A guy I know uses some sort of Peavey, though he's stripped the logo off to keep it secret, or something. it's a 6x10 tube amp of unknown wattage, though the tubes in the back are pretty big. Sounded damn nice, when he played at Battle of the Bands (even though he and the rest of his band were stoned).

Don't know of the model number, so it may be one you've already mentioned.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I have heard the Ultras are good, all of them. the ultra plus just having more output, more low end, and slightly more gain (double the wattage of all-tubeness, duh)
Quote by nate23
5150?

+1 How has the 5150 not been mentioned yet? It was and is the go-to workhorse amp for metal and high gain.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
i hate the 5150/6505 series. terrible amps in my opinion. thats probably because i play jazz/finger style instrumental and some blues. i can rip it with my band every once in awile, but i wouldnt buy a 5150 for something small like that
Quote by LP Addict
i hate the 5150/6505 series. terrible amps in my opinion. thats probably because i play jazz/finger style instrumental and some blues. i can rip it with my band every once in awile, but i wouldnt buy a 5150 for something small like that

Just because they aren't your style doesn't mean they're bad amps.

I don't get it, why are asking about high gain amps if you play blues and jazz? I mean I'm sure there are much better amps to get nice overdriven blues and jazzy tones. They probably wouldn't be Peavey's though.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by LP Addict

In your first post you said high gain amps? Since when did jazz and blues require high gain.