alright so i am looknig for an amp to buy this summer and i am looking for some input from everyone

So as of now i am deciding between a Hughes and Kettners, marshall or mesa boogie. I am interested on the Hughes and Kettners switchblade, but for marshalls and mesas i only have a general idea of what their amps sound like. I play a variety of music from 70s rock to blues to and even hard rock and metal. Does anyone have any suggestions on amps or some more info on the charactaristics of marshalls and mesas?
thanks
Switchblade is pretty decent IMO. A friend has the head version and it has a good range of solid tube sounds + on board effects that don't sound like ass.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
I play exactly the same stuff if your talking classic metal like Metallica and the like. My amp is great for this imo, it has a more british voicing, Iève been told it sounds like a JCM 800. Give it a look. Btw whatès your price range?
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
well i am hopnig to keep it at around 1500 max but if necesesary i will work a little more to meet the needs so anything within reason
I have a 3 channel mesa dual rectifier and I love the distortion channels, each comes with 3 "types" of distortion. Its mean, loud, and great for the band I am currently in. We play sevendust, disturbed, korn, killswitch engage, that kind of thing. Channel 2 is very tastey for a blues type overdrive.

The only thing about it that im not very impressed with is its clean channel. Its not really BAD, I just can't seem to get that sweet tone I want out of it. What kind of pedals do you use? If you have an EQ or something im sure you can get it to sound good but plugging straight into it, it sounds a little weak. The good thing about the clean channel is that is has a "pushed" switch, which gives it a little bite and can sounds pretty tight, but when you switch back to normal, you have to reset all the knobs to get a decent straight clean sound, little bit of a nuisance for live playing, but you just gotta remember where you like everything for each setting and its not a big deal.

The solo button is pretty useful too, for live volume control.

The other two options I know little about, but hopefully I helped you at least a thirdly.

Oh and for prices. I bought mine, funnily enough, for a 1500 even, which included a traditional half stack cab. It was used, but the guy i bought it from got it re-tubed and an all around tune-up before the transaction was made. If you're just looking for the head you could probably get it new for pretty close to 1500, i think
Last edited by tdopz at May 19, 2008,
The Mesa Roadster is pretty frickin awesome. My kinda amp. I've tried plenty of high end amps but the Roadster is my favorite.
get a mesa boogie though,i own a mesa boogie express 5:50,even that the distortion is sufficient for me to play megadeth,it has those 5 watt switch to 50 watts switch.5 watts switch has a better clean in my opinion,i could pull off little wing quite close to original jimi hendrix's.if you're aiming for a higher price go for dual or triple rectifier.
i would reccomend the mesa roadking
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
The Switchblade is a pretty fantastic amp. More versatile than just about everything.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
The Boogie Roadster/Road King would do it.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
For the money, Traynor amps are absolutely wonderful! I just got one a while back, and I couldn't be happier with it.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Rivera knucklehead if you want to spend a little more but well worth it. Upgraded from a twin and a lonestar much better than either of those.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
i was actually looknig at a mesa roadster
how different are the roadster and mark iv?
and how do riveras differ in sound to mesas?