my friend and i have been arguing over which instrument is harder. He says drums (hes a drummer. I say there all equal. What do u think? Poll coming...
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
part of Trumpet Player's Alliance
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
drum versus guitar?
probably drums. guitar's easy
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
ummm, my friend drums, i drum and play guitar, i definatly say guitar is harder. there is so much more to learn, scales, techneques, finger placement. drums is counts and patterns
HiMyNameIsMatt
i say guitar. ive been playing guitar for about 2 years, and my uncle's been teaching me some drums and they're easier just cuz its not as precise. idk it really depends what style of music you're playing.
well this is like asking who's job is harder, vic wootens, danny kerry or paul gilbert..... they're all exceptional musicians, but once you get that good each instrument is incredibly different and can't really be compared in the level of "difficulty"
^ do you say that just because you play guitar or do you actually have something to back up your claim?

Quote by bangoodcharlote

A drummer is a glorified metronome.

you have NO idea how many times i've said this. but i don't think "wings for marie/10,000 days" would sound nearly as cool with just guitars and bass.
Quote by z4twenny
^ do you say that just because you play guitar or do you actually have something to back up your claim?

you have NO idea how many times i've said this. but i don't think "wings for marie/10,000 days" would sound nearly as cool with just guitars and bass.

BEEP BEEP SARCASM DETECTOR BATTERY LOW
Quote by CowboyUp
BEEP BEEP SARCASM DETECTOR BATTERY LOW

hold up, let me get another 12 volt.
^ no i mean 12v, i have a strong sarcasm detector. unfortunately because of its strength the batteries don't last very long. but on the good side i can jump start a 16 wheeler
neither. I study drums and guitar so I can say that they are both as hard as eachother.

Drums are actually IMMENSLY challenging. I won't go into depth about it becuase there is way too much. (Btw. most serious drummers do know scales and extensive music theory).
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Both have their own equally hard stuff. Drummers have to know ungodly complex rhythmic stuff, and once they get really advanced even need to think melodically and about drum pitch. And we all know that guitar has hard stuff.

Neither is harder/easier than the other. They are so different it's not even worth comparing.
danny kerry
It's Carey.

Anyways, drums are harder in that they are a much more manly instrument.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Well obviously being a musician is a lot harder than smacking things with sticks.

but seriously, i think drums are harder (i play guitar and have no experience with drums).
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I wold say drums are easier to play decently, advanced I would say both are hard.
Me and my friends play together sometimes and my friend has NO experience w/ drums and can play solid beats with no problem. I don't think that I could just one say pick up a guitar and play a rythym or lead just off the bat like that.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I would say it comes down to the individual person. And it depends on what you're playing. If you're playing an insanely elaborate fingerpicking of classical gas or some ****, versus the drums of a blink182 song... obviously guitar is gonna be harder. There's really no answer to this question. For me personally, drums are harder because I have no experience playing them.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
It's Carey.

Anyways, drums are harder in that they are a much more manly instrument.

my bad, i prolly agree with you. i've played drums and i think they're alot more physically demanding.
Quote by z4twenny
^ no i mean 12v, i have a strong sarcasm detector. unfortunately because of its strength the batteries don't last very long. but on the good side i can jump start a 16 wheeler

You need to do the 18V mod, you'll get better response and more clarity.

Drums all the way for me - you need to use all 4 limbs independently. Also you need to have a higher level of competence to make drums sound like anything other than noise, a couple of hours sat with a guitar for the first time is usually enough to at least get you strumming some E chords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Honestly, I don't think they can be compared. As a performer on many instruments I know that while some are easier to pick up than others, at anything more than a basic level all instruments take dedication, hard work, and knowledge to play well. Not to mention every instrument has it's own techniques, while some may be shared between instruments, like viola and violin, every instrument has it's own unique techniques. Both learning these techniques and gaining knowledge, theory and practical, even for just one instrument, can be a hard and complicated exercise.

That being said, I play both guitar and drums and will say that neither is harder as such, both are simply different. Both however require the same basics, Co-ordination and a sense of rhythm. Without these it is incredibly difficult to play any instrument, and to play one well would be near impossible.

Above all music isn't a competition of any kind. Comparing instruments in such a manner appears to me to be a competition in difficulty. Besides I fail to see a point in comparing two instruments for anything, except in composing situations when you have to decide which instruments work better for certain parts.

~Taydr~
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
i think there the same.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
part of Trumpet Player's Alliance
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Last edited by KewlChristian at May 20, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
You need to do the 18V mod, you'll get better response and more clarity.

Drums all the way for me - you need to use all 4 limbs independently. Also you need to have a higher level of competence to make drums sound like anything other than noise, a couple of hours sat with a guitar for the first time is usually enough to at least get you strumming some E chords.

It all comes down to the individual, some will find drums easier to pick up and others will pick up guitar easier. The first time I started strumming an E chord it sounded like **** where as the first time I played on a drum set I could play a semi decent beat.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
guitar is easier i would say. its so hard to find a decent drummer.

hardest instrument to learn overall? its impossible to say, tho the tabla springs to mind. and pretty much any unfretted string instrument is harder to learn than guitar
Drums require much more coordination and independence between your limbs. That and polyrhythms. Guitar is more intellectual with scales and thinking about what note to play next.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by z4twenny

I think you need to see a doctor and have your sense of humor checked.