Ok i bought a Randall Pro Tube 2000 off craigslist for 100 bucks. The guy said there were some issues with the power section, hence the price. I figured the speaker (a celestion black shadow) and any parts I could salvage would be worth it if the amp was unfixable. The amp will cut out with a small pop after being played for about two minutes. there is a small red buttun in the back of the amp that says "reset", and if I push that, I've got about two more minutes before it cuts out again. The power tubes, EL44's, all glow normally and evenly when the amp is running, then all go dark when it cuts out, the glow again when I reset. Any idea's? I love the sound of this amp, and it has a nice spring reverb to so I really want to get it running smoothly.
If it has fuses of any kind, check those. It could be as simple as that, and you got a hell of a deal if that's the case.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
would a blown fuse allow it to work fine and come back as soon as I reset?
my best guess would be to tell you to check the connections on ALL of the components on the circuit boards for loose connections after the fuses but you can always take it to guitar center

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Last edited by mohawkkidJohn at May 19, 2008,
Quote by SVStee
would a blown fuse allow it to work fine and come back as soon as I reset?

It sounds like it could, although I could be wrong. It sounds to me like you're resetting one of the fuses, and it works briefly and then quits. The fuses would be the first things I'd check, they're very cheap and could easily be the cause of lots of mischief from a good amp.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I've never seen a swith like that before, do you think that it was an aftermarket mod? I know the speaker is not origanal.
Its a circuit breaker. Its the same as a fuse instead of replacing it you reset it. Somebody else may have put it as they got tired of buying fuses. When I googled that amp the first thing that came up was a craigs list add for your amp that says it needs power tubes. Be a really good place to start.
If all the tubes glow at the same time with equal brightness, I can't help but think it is somthing besides the tubes.
Alright I have two theories.
1. the tubes felt very loose. If they arn't in the sockets all the way could that cause the above problems?
2. A cold solder joint. I heard one guy who had the 50 watt head model of this amp had some problems with bad solder joints, and I know that could cause the problems I'm having. what is the safest way to check for bad solder joints or blown fuses? I heard you keep one hand in your pocket to prevent juice going through your heat, but do I have to discharge caps or anything?
Well, it turns out it was the tubes. I replaced the el34's with the crappy Ruby tubes that came stock on my Peavy windsor. So now I just have to buy four decent 34's and I'll have gotten a seriously good deal.