I've been trying to write songs for a while and I haven't got too much so far.....My lyrics are usually more emotional but I can't make the lyrics fit my riffs which are in a Metal style. When I try to put them together I'm using a very sloppy attempt at growling which works for now but I can't make my words flow well. I want my words to flow well and try to avoid the whole start-stop approach of a lot of Metal singers....Any tips would be appreciated...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
theres usually two wasy to write a song. 1 write the lyrics first and then write the riffs to follow your lyrics. 2 write the riffs and then while playing them write the lyrics to follow the riffs.
hope that helps in some way. if not im sure someone will post something more usefull
yea.. espm200's got it.. i think if u write the riffs or song first and then the lyrics after, it'll probably help make your lyrics flow with the music u want to write. later on you might get used to it, and be able to make more emotional lyrics first, which might fit, and then the riffs later
I can make riffs just fine....I have a problem of being over critical of my lyrics so very few making it past being written down....I feel that my lyrics have to have some deep meaning and I don't want to be too obvious but I don't want it to be too cryptic either (I can't write with much symbolism either) so it's rather frustrating when I try to write lyrics....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
start studying things that interest you and do some research lyrically and poetically. find what works for you. personally i studied a lot of lyricists i really enjoy and authors too.
Quote by z4twenny
start studying things that interest you and do some research lyrically and poetically. find what works for you. personally i studied a lot of lyricists i really enjoy and authors too.

I think that will help, thanks....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
u just have to keep writing and they'll get better. trust me, it takes time and practice, just like guitar. now, i must ask you what you mean by "a while." how long exactly have you been writing songs? because if youre new i would suggest the opposite of lauster and write the lyrics first, totally independent of any riff or lick you have. this is because if you try to fit them in the measures, theyre often confined and sound forced. if you have a riff in mind already, thats great, remember theres nothing wrong with tweaking it later.
Quote by Soadfan8
u just have to keep writing and they'll get better. trust me, it takes time and practice, just like guitar. now, i must ask you what you mean by "a while." how long exactly have you been writing songs? because if youre new i would suggest the opposite of lauster and write the lyrics first, totally independent of any riff or lick you have. this is because if you try to fit them in the measures, theyre often confined and sound forced. if you have a riff in mind already, thats great, remember theres nothing wrong with tweaking it later.

Thats right, no matter what happend's, if you keep working at it i'll come up with new and maybe better ways to work with it.

Dan