Alright, I have $70 bucks to spend, and I've been looking at getting an OD for my Ashdown Fallen Angel, as I feel the onboard distortion is slightly lacking. So here's what I'm wondering, as I really don't have very much experience with pedals: would this pedal increase the gain, sustain, and clarity/definition of the distortion? Or would an EQ pedal be a better idea?

hmmm you can use an EQ as a boost if you EQ it right, but i would say get the bad monkey FIRST.

it has Level, Low, High and Gain controls so you can still get some further tweaking on your sound with it on-just not the same extent as an EQ pedal. but yes the bad monkey will do all those things that you're wanting. just be sure to use it with the level all the way up, low and high controls at 12 o'clock, and gain at ZERO. then adjust from there to see how much actual gain from the pedal you need. you should notice that you're gain will seem 'fatter' and shaped up a lil more well w/ the OD pedal. hope you like it!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i have never played one, but around here they get great reviews. even from people that i value the opinions of. of course, youll want to try it out though.
check out my profile TS, i've got sound clips of the bad monkey driving my blackheart. keep in mind the blackheart is a mid gain amp on it's own.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
How does it compare to the cheaper Boss Overdrives like the BD-2?

Sorry don't mean to steal the thread in anyways, i've heard great stuff about the Bad Monkey myself, supposedly it gets a decent tubescreamer-ish sound.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
bad monkey is great pedal period.

on a clean channel it apparently doesn't have as much character as a tube screamer or fulltone OCD. i dunno b/c i haven't played those two pedals. but i know on it's own on my tube amp clean it sounds great. really southern rockish style tone and crunchy. on a gain channel it does great at boosting and filling out your gain.

for $50 you're not gonna find a better deal brand new. that's the point. no one's gonna hear ur bad monkey and go "ewwww!!! sounds like a nasty version of the infamous tubescreamer!!!" unless you use the settings in such a bad way HA.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
it also has something that i like better than a tubescreamer, instead of just a tone knod, doesnt it have a high and low?
save up and get something more worthwhile. (voice your opinion but don't berate me, i've fought three times about this, but I think the Bad Monkey is terrible as a clean overdrive and average as a booster)
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by leephan
If you want the Bad Monkey for a boost of distortion, I really think you'll be dissapointed.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=MiNJUB-tkQY&feature=related

Watch that review. If you're still not convinced, look at some other reviews.

Finally, someone that shares my point.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
The bad monkey does work as an actual distortion boost too, if you keep its level at unity and gain higher. It doesnt give a metal sort of chugga chugga, more of a grainier slightly fuzzier sound (when fed into a JCM800 with medium amount of gain), which is good in its own right. But if you keep its gain low and level high, then it acts as a "metalizer" when fed into a mid-gain tube amp like the jcm800. Note that i am speaking of personal experience.

I do suggest getting an eq pedal first though, as those are very useful anyway in any rig and might be all you need for boosting purposes too.
Last edited by 1337void at May 20, 2008,
wait, is the TS wanting to get this pedal so he can use it as a distortion? i'm a lil confused, if he's gonna use it for getting crunch and dirt on a clean amp without having to crank a tube amp then yea it's fine. also it does good at boosting an already dirty amp into heavier realms and tightening it up, but if he's wanting to get like instant megadeth from it into a clean amp then no he aint gettin' that.

eh i'm a lil confused so someone should clear this up! lol.

oh and to each his own, one man's junk is another's treasure. can't flame people for having varied tastes
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH