Hi UGers.

For my guitar build that I'll be actually getting started very shortly, I will possibly be getting a piece of mahogany from some guys who work building cabinets. They have had experience building guitars, and are going to help us with what they can, and point us in the direction of some more experienced luthiers. Anyway, I was wondering what kind of mahogany they would probably use. I know some types of mahogany are better for tone than others. For example, African mahogany would be better than Phillipino mahogany.

My question is: Are there any types of mahogany I should watch out for to make sure I don't use them, and are there any that are far superior than others? If he has a type of mahogany that wouldn't necessarily be very good for a guitar, I'm just going to buy a blank, but if possible, I'd like to get it from this guy so I don't have to pay too much for it.

Another question, on Warmoth, they sell mahogany body blanks. Are these just "standard" (not exotic) mahogany blanks?

Thanks in advance.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

dont buy from warmoth for body/neck blanks unless its crazy exotic and not available anywhere else. Mahogany is basically all the same, you won't get any real different tone from the different types, if it is different, its really not audible, plus if you have any real experience in woodworking, you will know that its not the TYPE of wood that makes a tone, its the piece of wood itself (aka all pieces of wood are different).

African mahogany, genuine mahogany, honduran mahogany, are probably what they use, the cheap stuff.

Sapelle mahogany is MY favorite, it proves excellent grain, beautiful figure/ribboning, and its fairly inexpensive, you could get a piece at a lumber yard big enough to build 4 or 5 guitar bodies for roughly 120-180 dollars. warmoth is a big rip on their body blanks.
Ah alright, thanks a lot then. I'll still probably end up just getting the piece from the guy we're working with, then. Since I'm having a flamed maple top on this guitar, I'm not TOO worried about the grain of the mahogany. If I do a build without a figured top, I might check that out. If I knew I'd be building a lot of guitars in the near future I might buy a huge piece from a lumber yard, but I'm still a sophomore in high school, so I really can't afford to be building a bunch of guitars at the moment, especially since this one is already running me over $1,000.

Thanks for the info, though!
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

how i nthe hell is it running you over 1000? the guitars i build usually cost me around 300-500, for the awesome hardware etc. For figured maple id give you my source, but then everyone would buy his stuff up, because its great and far underpriced, thats all you bro, its out there though. i don't recommend maple, i would do something cool, like some figured redwood, burled wood, etc. looks a lot more original than standard curly maple
I was thinking about doing something different, but it took me long enough to find something I liked, and then when I asked him if he had any in stock, he said he had one, but he was going on vacation for the summer and wasn't taking any more orders -.-

Theres a possibility it WON'T run a thousand dollars, but according to the MS Excel file, all the costs add up to that. That's including strap and case, etc. Since this is my first build, I was thinking about getting some practice wood, and we estimated that about 50 bucks for the amount of wood and paint we'd buy to practice with. I think that's obselete now though, because we're going with a natural finish. We'll be doing a little staining. I bought the neck, which ended up costing around 300 bucks with shipping, stainless steel frets, ebony fretboard, and a nice finish, and it's a 7-string neck. The cost of the paint is still in the excel file, so that's a bit of money that we won't be spending anymore, although the finishing process will still be trial and error for some part of it. A 7-string tonepros tune o matic and gotoh tuners as well. Another big expense is that we have to get the frets leveled and dressed, and that will cost around $125, but the guy does the best fret jobs my guitar teacher has ever seen. Buying a few pots, including a push-pull pot is like 20 bucks. I may be able to get these cheaper from a local store. I WAS going to do a tremolo, but I decided against that because I didn't feel like messing with it just yet. On my next build I'll probably end up doing that.

Anyway, those are just some of the things that are costing me a bit of money. A lot of smaller things seem to be adding up to more than I expected. But I guess it's like recording, where if you go into a studio to record your first album completely inexperienced, you'll end up spending more time and money than if you're experienced with recording.

BTW the build is in my signature if you have any suggestions (the body style won't change much), but if you have any suggestions on buying things from certain places, any info is welcome
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at May 19, 2008,