okay. i pierced my ear two weeks ago, and then bought a gauge 20 earing, (the ring kind) and put it in. it was fine at first but then today it started to swell, so i took it out and my ear is really swollen. i tried to put my old one in but it was too small and popped out and fell right down the sink. should i put the 20 back in or...?
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
bump for urgency!
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
swelling is pretty normal for new piercings.

make sure the jewelry u are wearing is REAL.

fake metals irritate the ears.

keep it really clean, wash it morning and night.

wear whichever earring fits as long as its not some crap metal.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Yeah, put the 20s back in only after you wash both the jewelry and your ears with hot water and soap. Massage the mixture into the holes - it'll hurt - but you wanna clean em out ASAP. It's just the beginning of a minor infection. Clean em now, and you'll be fine.

And don't take the 20s out for a month and half after this moment. Clean on a regular basis, with jewelry IN ear.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

that's normal dude. i gauged my ears, and they swell everytime you put in a bigger gauge.

<---- metal.
I would say, let it heal up. Go to a professional and get it pierced for about 5 bucks. Then let that one heal, and gradually get a bigger gauge.

*edit* I don't have gauges just reg earings so others are prolly right.

Know the metals you are allergic to. When I first got my ears done they wouldn't heal, after 2 months of the earings turning a greenish color I switched to sterling silver and found out that the originals were made out of nickel. Which I am allergic to :/
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at May 19, 2008,
morbid metals is what the brand was called, bought em at hot topic for like 9 bucks for 4...bad metal?
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Put the regular back in and KEEP IT IN FOR AT LEAST 4 MONTHS BEFORE YOU GET A NEW ONE. The hole is gona close quickly.
Clean it with rubbing alcohol. Twice. Daily.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Keep the original body jewelry in and soak your ear lobe in sea salt multiple times a day, for a couple of weeks.

Quote by iTzMaTT
Put the regular back in and KEEP IT IN FOR AT LEAST 4 MONTHS BEFORE YOU GET A NEW ONE. The hole is gona close quickly.
Clean it with rubbing alcohol. Twice. Daily.

Rubbing alcohol dries the skin and irritates the piercing, which can lead to infection.
Last edited by kiefermatot at May 19, 2008,
Quote by GibsonRocker14
swelling is pretty normal for new piercings.

make sure the jewelry u are wearing is REAL.

fake metals irritate the ears.

keep it really clean, wash it morning and night.

wear whichever earring fits as long as its not some crap metal.

sound advice

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
1st, if you're gonna guage anything you need it done by a prof otherwise it won't be centered and you'll end up stretching to the point where your lobe gets DANGEROUSLY thin. 2nd, swelling isn't a prob, that happens, put some SEA salt diluted in water on a cotton swab and use that to clean it. DON'T EVER USE ****ING ALCOHOL ON A PIERCING!!!!
Don't take it out, it will close up. Wash it, leave the ring in. NO RUBBING ALCOHOL. NO ANTISEPTIC. Antibacterial soap and warm water, thats it. If the swelling doesnt go down in a couple weeks, GO TO THE DAMN BODY MOD THREAD.
okay. heres the update:

1. I DID get it professionally done.
2. I put back in the ring
3. my ear is still a bit swollen, but i hope it;ll go away by tomorow.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Sorry for all the bold, I need to stand out from all the bad advice in this thread. I'm a regular in the body mod thread and an aspiring piercing artist, so trust it.

1. Put the earring back in. If it's infected and you take out the earring, the skin will heal. The infection will be trapped. This will cause an abcess, which is trapped infection.

2. DON'T clean with alcohol, peroxide, or any other cleaner aside from Saline Solution (1 tsp. sea salt to 8 oz. water). Saline solution is also sold as piercing cleaner and contact lens solution. Infection MAY be treated with Tea Tree Oil, but use this SPARINGLY and ONLY if it's infected!

3. Leave the earring in for 6 weeks. That's a month and a half. Minimum. More is recommended, especially since you've already had one screwup.

I wish you the best of luck with your current situation, and strongly urge you to learn and use proper terminology(i.e. "Stretch" rather than "gauge." "Gauge" is a term which refers to the size of the jewelry, rather than the size of a particular piercing.

Thanks for reading!

-Joshua
Gauge 20??

I could have swore that the smallest piercing they did was 18 gauge.

So he's not really stretching it by putting in a 20gauage, considering it's super tiny.

If anything, I'd go back to the place you got it pierced and ask thier advice.
Statistics can be used to prove anything.

14% of people know that.
if your ear lobe is swelling it's probably infected, put antiseptic rinse on it (I recommend Band-Aid rinse, it's very cheap and works well) and put the 20 gauge back in.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
For the record, SWELLING IS NORMAL.

Swelling. Is. Normal
When I got my lip pierced, the right side of my lip was easily 3 times the size of the left, the whole right side of my mouth was bruised and swollen. Its normal, some people bruise/swell more easily than others. My left ear swelled like crazy after it was pierced.
Quote by saxaxe
For the record, SWELLING IS NORMAL.

Swelling. Is. Normal
When I got my lip pierced, the right side of my lip was easily 3 times the size of the left, the whole right side of my mouth was bruised and swollen. Its normal, some people bruise/swell more easily than others. My left ear swelled like crazy after it was pierced.

Wow saxaxe, I never thought I'd see the day.
Two body mod thread regulars in a thread that should be linked there, trying to help. At the same time.

And yes, swelling IS normal!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if your ear lobe is swelling it's probably infected, put antiseptic rinse on it (I recommend Band-Aid rinse, it's very cheap and works well) and put the 20 gauge back in.

i did that yesterday, and then today it was really pusy and didn't shrink much. also greenish puss started coming out, so i put some antibacterial cream on it. anything else i should do?
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
stoner, 20 gauge is nothing, just keep your normal piercing in and wait for a few months dude....
Quote by bassmaniac101

You are amazing.

Quote by Arch1119
^^yay photoshop...you made me lol all over myself