i have a question revolving around my HORRIDLY CRAPY rig untill i finish my custom guitar and get my new b-52 60 watt tube combo

Untill then.. heres my menacing rig to laugh at 8)

Epiphone les paul JR.. ^.^
CRate 65 watt 1x12.. whatever the newer one is..
(im aware its crappy this isnt about that though)
Yeah.. I recently went into a guitar center trying out different pickups that i like.. and i was playing in the 120 watt version of the crate i have.. And i landed on seymour duncan invaders.. playing on it.. the tone i got out of the amp distortion wasnt completely mind destroying and ear piercing as the one of my amp.. Which leads me to my question..

are pickups THAT large of a difference? i noticed a huuge tonal difference between the two..

Or could it be that my crate over time.. has had something happen to it where the tone might be lost?
well i cant really think of anything that could have happened to your amp to do that. and as long as that amp does in fact sound similar to yours, than beleive your ears, pickups make a difference.

and to think, everyone on this forum says pups make no real difference with solid state amps.
Someone told me once, on how much pickups make a difference by, picture yourself singing into a mic. Yourself voice is going to come out either way but of course the mic has a heavy influence on the quality of sound.

Pickups due make a heavy influence on tone but they are very diverse and make sure if your planning on buying a set make sure you know what your getting.

On a side note, im sure your gear is not that crappy. If your really try, you can get good tone out of just about anything. I think most of it is your state of mind.
Could be a combination of the two.

If you check the Seymour Duncam page out, or some of the other pickup companies, you can see outputs of the pickups as well as their characteristics (Treble, Mid and Low) on their tone comparison chart.

Invaders have a very differrent output and sound to a JB for example.

About the amp, it could be a number of things that could change it's sound.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
basic variables in rig sounds: the kind of guitar, strings, pickups, cables, amp head, cab. Pick ups are on of the more important ones as far as tone, thats for sure so yes, to answer your first question. Unfortunately, pick ups are tough to shop for. You go to a shop, try out this different guitar using different pickups using their cables on their amps. The only thing that I can say is to just try to test it on a rig at a store as closely to yours as possible. Having said that, seymour duncans are badass and Im confident in saying that a good portion of the tone change you noticed came from them.
Quote by chea_man
well i cant really think of anything that could have happened to your amp to do that. and as long as that amp does in fact sound similar to yours, than beleive your ears, pickups make a difference.

and to think, everyone on this forum says pups make no real difference with solid state amps.

Interesting about making no difference.

I had two S series Ibanez guitars, same model, different pickups, very different sounds playing through the same solid state amp.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Which guitar had the invaders anyways?
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Well im glad that my amp will sound SOMEWHERE in the ballpark of what i played at the store.. because i cant stand to play with my amp distortion at home so i use an mt-2 to attempt to cover it up.. This summer im going to be getting a lot of extra cash just to drop into a rig so soon it wont matter.. but this outcome makes me wonder what pickups im ganna get now because i really liked the way those invaders sounded.. and i cant find blackouts to test.. Does anyone know if i will be happier with blackouts if i loved the invaders?

Oh.. btw i was using the schecter synyster custom 8) very sexy guitar if i had another grand id buy it.. but my custom iceman will be better
The guitar will effect the way the pups sound to. If you were using a better guitar with the same pups you have now it would sound better. If you have the same pups in 2 different guitars they will sound different.

Pups do make a noticeable difference most of the time. If you get a pup that is close to what you have, you may not notice them to much. If you had lets say a SD SH-4 and replaced it with a SD SH-5, you may or may not notice a difference. If you are going from stock pups to something nice you will definitely hear a difference.
Yeah man.. Im going from the epi lp jr stock pickups.. to either blackouts with 18v mod or 2 invaders.. idk yet i gotta find someone comparing them.. or a guitar with the blackouts modded or not..

Ive heard the invaders on mahogany too.. wether the synster custom is that or not and both of them seem very lively and full.. and i tested out the jackson dinky.. the 700 dollar verson with emgs..and i played it and absolutely hated it.. thats why i dont know if blackouts are close to similar at all.. being emg-like and all