So today I spend a good while after school with a friend at Guitarcenter. I was super excited because I was going to compare the two main amps I've been looking at getting for a while. So first came the 6505+. Boy the Lead channel on this is killer. The tone was amazing I dug it, pretty much everything I want in tone except it didn't have that low end thump and chugga I wanted when palm muting the lower chords (hardcore boy here XD). The cleans where nice, not amazing by any means but usable and nice to me. But I've heard the original 6505 has a lot more low end thump and chugga and is voice a bit darker so I'd have to look into that. Is that true? Because I don't mind sacrificing that one EQ since I spend most of my time on the lead channel anyway.
Then the AT-100. Cleans were definitely a lot better than the 6505 but when it came to it's gain channels, there was something to be desired. It definitely had that low end but the gain sounded kind of thing and weak compared to the 6505+.
So should I look into the 6505? If the 6505 turns out to have that low end I'll get the 60W combo version (unless the stack has more low end and is just better) and put casters on it for transportation.
Oh and before you ask, yes I tried using the resonance knob on the 6505+.
the gain sounded weak compared to he 6505 because thats all he 6505 is good for. try some new tubes in the at-100 with some vintage 30 speakers or something, you will love what you hear, and for a fraction of the cost. the at-100 is a great amp, but people seem to hate it because its cheap and says "b-52 at-100" on it. the customer service leaves no loose ends, they are incredible.
AT-100 is a good amp for the money. Don't buy a 6505+ new, just get a 5150II used, if that's what you decide on getting.
Quote by HarperCustom
the gain sounded weak compared to he 6505 because thats all he 6505 is good for. try some new tubes in the at-100 with some vintage 30 speakers or something, you will love what you hear, and for a fraction of the cost. the at-100 is a great amp, but people seem to hate it because its cheap and says "b-52 at-100" on it. the customer service leaves no loose ends, they are incredible.

Well the model I was using was used so that could have been it. I'd need to hear some clips first though, of the B-52.

Quote by myvaliantleap
AT-100 is a good amp for the money. Don't buy a 6505+ new, just get a 5150II used, if that's what you decide on getting.

Either way I'm planning to go used. Loads cheaper.
Get yourself an original 5150 (I, not II) then. I prefer them over the 6505's, even though they are technically the same amp. And the original series do sound more brutal, the 5150 vs the 5150 II.

5150 = 6505
5150 II = 6505+
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
Get yourself an original 5150 (I, not II) then. I prefer them over the 6505's, even though they are technically the same amp. And the original series do sound more brutal, the 5150 vs the 5150 II.

5150 = 6505
5150 II = 6505+

Sounds cool. I'm planning to take a trip to the Hollywood GC and hoping they have an 6505 in stock. Since they're the same I'll go with whichever is cheaper .
Quote by maggot2011
Sounds cool. I'm planning to take a trip to the Hollywood GC and hoping they have an 6505 in stock. Since they're the same I'll go with whichever is cheaper .

The Hollywood GC sent my Oxnard GC a block letter 5150 head (mine) that was completely thrashed. Like someone had cleaned it with the wrong spray and got the circuitry wet, and all the pots were really dirty. Luckily I purchased the extended 2 year warranty for like $100 or whatever it was, and it more than paid off because I brought it in having a problem about a month after, and the tech charged them $270 for all the stuff he had to do with it.

If you can find a nice 6505 do that, but if you buy a 5150 there get a warranty because I think Guitar Center has next to no quality check on that sort of used gear. They may not have a 5150 in, but if they do I recommend it. Its hard to put my finger on what it is, but I think its just the quality of the parts used in the 5150 being higher than the 6505's that makes the difference.

5150's can be had for much cheaper than GC would sell them if you search craigslist. I'm sure there are a lot of 5150/6505's on there around LA.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
The Hollywood GC sent my Oxnard GC a block letter 5150 head (mine) that was completely thrashed. Like someone had cleaned it with the wrong spray and got the circuitry wet, and all the pots were really dirty. Luckily I purchased the extended 2 year warranty for like $100 or whatever it was, and it more than paid off because I brought it in having a problem about a month after, and the tech charged them $270 for all the stuff he had to do with it.

If you can find a nice 6505 do that, but if you buy a 5150 there get a warranty because I think Guitar Center has next to no quality check on that sort of used gear. They may not have a 5150 in, but if they do I recommend it. Its hard to put my finger on what it is, but I think its just the quality of the parts used in the 5150 being higher than the 6505's that makes the difference.

5150's can be had for much cheaper than GC would sell them if you search craigslist. I'm sure there are a lot of 5150/6505's on there around LA.

Quite a story. I've heard the blockhead is pretty much it from the entire series. That true?
Yeah I'd be looking around on ebay and craigslist. It's definitely cheaper.
Quote by maggot2011
Quite a story. I've heard the blockhead is pretty much it from the entire series. That true?
Yeah I'd be looking around on ebay and craigslist. It's definitely cheaper.

The only difference from the block letters and signatures were the stock tubes from the factory as far as I know, and I hope to god no 5150 still has those. I could be wrong, but thats the only thing I think Peavey changed. I actually run mine(block letter) at 60 watts by taking the 2 outer tubes out, and it sounds pretty incredible. Tube saturation seems to start at like 2 1/2 instead of 4 1/2.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
The only difference from the block letters and signatures were the stock tubes from the factory as far as I know, and I hope to god no 5150 still has those. I could be wrong, but thats the only thing I think Peavey changed. I actually run mine(block letter) at 60 watts by taking the 2 outer tubes out, and it sounds pretty incredible. Tube saturation seems to start at like 2 1/2 instead of 4 1/2.

Oh. Yeah pretty sure I'd change out tubes if I get it (need money, so job "/). Still pretty loud though . I couldn't put it past 1 /2 at GC. Well, I could've but I'm embarrassed of my playing hehe. Would you say that it has that low end thump though?
Quote by maggot2011
Oh. Yeah pretty sure I'd change out tubes if I get it (need money, so job "/). Still pretty loud though . I couldn't put it past 1 /2 at GC. Well, I could've but I'm embarrassed of my playing hehe. Would you say that it has that low end thump though?

It has all the low end thump and more. Its face melting. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. And I recommend JJ tubes for the amp, they work amazing. Definitely get it biased when you have it retubed, you won't regret it.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
It has all the low end thump and more. Its face melting. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. And I recommend JJ tubes for the amp, they work amazing. Definitely get it biased when you have it retubed, you won't regret it.

Okay good. Looks like I found my dream amp seeing as how that was all I thought it was missing. Yeah I'm going to try to to get the bias mod from FJA Mods.
Quote by maggot2011
But I've heard the original 6505 has a lot more low end thump and chugga and is voice a bit darker so I'd have to look into that. Is that true? Because I don't mind sacrificing that one EQ since I spend most of my time on the lead channel anyway.

The only difference is one preamp valve and the extra EQ, so the 6505+ gives you more headroom (meaning ever so slightly nicer cleans).
I (and many others who I have asked in real life to try and distinguish) cannot REALLY find a difference in the amount of gain between the standard 6505 and the 6505+, it really is negligible. I like my tone to be at it's possible best, but when you start arguing over things you can't even hear, it gets stupid.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
5150's/6505 are FIXED bias. Just swap out the old 6L6's for some new ones and your good to go. Same for the 12AX7's in the preamp.

I have JJ's throughout my amp and let me tell you they are crushing.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Quote by AdRev
5150's/6505 are FIXED bias. Just swap out the old 6L6's for some new ones and your good to go. Same for the 12AX7's in the preamp.

I have JJ's throughout my amp and let me tell you they are crushing.

Hehe, actually "fixed bias" means that you have to adjust it when changing tubes. "Cathode biased" means that you dont.
Quote by rwalby9

5150 = 6505
5150 II = 6505+

Weird that you hear any difference. Especially because its 100% the same thing. They didnt change ANYTHING. Nothing, nada, rien, nichts, niets. Only the name.
And no, a name doesnt add things to the sound.

BUT: i also say that you should go look for a used peavey, just because you will save some money. I'd also suggest a stack instead of a combo, because the speakers are not very well in the combo. Get yourself a used peavey with a used 2*12 or 4*12 V30/Greenback cab. That will be the best choice imo.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl