Hi all, I've been playing guitar for about 5 months now, and I'm trying to sing and play Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day. I've got the chord progressions down, and I can half sing/say the lyrics. But now, I'm kind of baffled. I don't know what to do next. Like, how should I practice? Because when I actually do try to sing, I can do it, I feel like something's missing.

Any tips, ideas, suggestions? (and no, "Stop singing" doesn't count as any of the three. )

-Rich
play the song until you can play it without thinking. then, slowly add the lyrics in, bit by bit. it'll come
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
There's really no way to go about it (to me) besides just keep trying. You'll get the hang of it. Maybe someone else has more specific advice, but that's how I learnt to sing and play at the same time. Just keep doing it.
^ I've done that, but it seems I've failed every time. I don't know, maybe I subconsciously hate the sound of my own voice. Maybe (er.. hoperfully) it's just my horrible camera that can't record an ounce of beautiful sound without distorting it into a vile creature.
There are literally hundred of threads, and quite a few stickies on this subject. Please search.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Okay, after sifting through a couple of singing FAQs, I've come to the conclusion that what I hate about my voice is: when recorded I sound really flat. It sounds like I'm talking, when I'm actually singing. >:[ Any ideas, once again, to help this?

Oh, also, when singing and playing, just for a small audience, no amps or mics, do you use a pick to strum still, or your finger, fingernail?
If your voice doesn't have the range required, you could try downtuning to Eb standard?

Otherwise.. just practise your voice. Its just like anything else, the more you do it the better you'll get, so start singing! Sing when you do the dishs, sing when you're in the shower, on the ****ter, driving to work, on the computer, whatever! You need to train your voice to be able to single, its difficult.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.