Title says it all. Trying to play Bat Country but there's this one part where not even my open low E string will go low enough. Help?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
or f u dont know what a half step is just match the 7th fret of the 6th string to the 5th open
use the other d as a tonal reference and match the note
buy a cromatic (sorry about the spelling) tuner
I suppose you know this fact: 5th fret of the low E string sounds like your A string.

Well, if you want to use drop D, change this and say
7th fret of your low E = Open A string

Turn the knob of your low E until you realise that the 7th fret of your low e sounds like your open a string.

Then compare the note you have with your other d string, if they sound the same, you have done it correctly.
Last edited by Andrusho at May 19, 2008,
Hit your D and low E at the same time while detuning the low E. Stop when they sound the same.
Should I be able to tune it to drop D using a tuner? I have one but not sure if i can use it the way i want to.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
yeah, just keep lowering your low E, it should be at E first, then Eb, then D
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Should I be able to tune it to drop D using a tuner? I have one but not sure if i can use it the way i want to.

That would depend on the kind of tuner.
what kinda guitar u got?

If its gota a floyd rose ur gonne be really confused. lol

just tune E down to D and ur dropped ur ready to scream or w/e u guys do.
Not to be rude but tuning not only is one of the very basics you need to know you should just have some general idea of how to do it. LOL with that said to tune to drop D tuning is as explaned.
You should see something like this: DADGBE

This goes from lowest to highest OR 6th string to 1st.
simply put use a tuner or learn to do it by ear the thickist string your going to lower the pitch intill the tuner says a D on it. :stickpoke
Quote by youngncy
Not to be rude but tuning not only is one of the very basics you need to know you should just have some general idea of how to do it.

and thats why he is asking, so he can learn...I dont think you were born with the knoledge of tuning guitar either..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
A simple way to do it is:
Play the d and low e string together while down tuning the low e string until the 2 notes hum together.
So i tune the low e string to sound like an open d?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by AustinForToday!
yes

Oh lol. I was going by the sticky and completely did it wrong lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Okay so i did this and my low e string is extremely tight. Now for some reason sounds terrible.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
You tuned the wrong direction... the low e should actually be a bit looser. Remember, you are only going one whole step down (counter-clockwise if it's strat style tuners (6 in line)), clockwise if it's LP style tuners (3 per side on the headstock). Again, this assumes you string your guitar correctly. Yer lucky the nut didnt' break. If I'm wrong, then I've no idea why the string should be tight, it should be looser.
Last edited by Myrdinn at May 20, 2008,
Quote by Myrdinn
You tuned the wrong direction... the low e should actually be a bit looser. Remember, you are only going one whole step down (counter-clockwise if it's strat style tuners (6 in line)), clockwise if it's LP style tuners (3 per side on the headstock). Again, this assumes you string your guitar correctly. Yer lucky the nut didnt' break. If I'm wrong, then I've no idea why the string should be tight, it should be looser.

I'm using a tuner if that helps. I just tuned my E string until it was just right at 3D
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
just downtune the e string to d so everything on the d string is 2 frets lower than standard but leave the other strings the same as standard
the low E string should sound like the open D, except in lower.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Hey dude.

Lots of advice given already, but in case your ear isn't quite up to the task of tuning yet, use this little trick.....

You said you're using a tuner? Simply hold the second fret of your low E string and de-tune until your tuner reads E. What you've done is lowered the pitch of the string by a 'Whole tone' so that when you play that string open, it will sound a D instead of an E.

Also some tuners have a 'flat' button . If yours does, press it twice (once for each semi-tone) and then tune again, this time with the open string until it reads E.

Hope this helps.
This is what the tuning thread is there for....
closed
Been away, am back