So I'm buying some little extra things for my guitar and I wanted to get black pick up covers and black knobs to go with the pick guard I'm getting. I found the black covers for the single coil pick ups but I need help find a black humbucker cover.

I have a Fender Strat H/S/S.

I called up guitar center and they said they did not have them. I can't find them anywhere. I fear they do not make them. . Any other suggestions; if, they do not make them; for, what I can do with my humbucker? A white one is not going to go with black ones.

Thanks.
Quote by BlackHawkA4
With holes?

ohh.. sorry. i dont think ive ever seen that in black.
Quote by BlackHawkA4
I need it to go over this.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/0054036000_FRNT.jpg

Does the plastic come off on those? So i can just spray them black?

Only 1 coil has adjustable poles. That is what the cover is for. They are supposed to be wax sealed. That is something you can do yourself. The wax will help make a good contact with your pole pieces by isolating them.

I think I know what you want, and I am not sure they make them. You are looking for the same kind of design as a single coil cover. To expose the poles on both coils. I dont think I have ever seen them.

EDIT what pup is that? You cant find it in black?
Last edited by ninja23 at May 20, 2008,
Are you saying the covers I just bought for the single coils have to be waxed down?
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionRegular/Fender/541330jpg.jpg

If so, how do I do that; and, where do I get the wax?

[Dumb question. How do volume/tone knobs come off? I thought they just pulled off but they weren't coming off. I don't want to break anything so I want to ask before I just rip them off.]
Quote by BlackHawkA4
Are you saying the covers I just bought for the single coils have to be waxed down?
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionRegular/Fender/541330jpg.jpg

If so, how do I do that; and, where do I get the wax?

[Dumb question. How do volume/tone knobs come off? I thought they just pulled off but they weren't coming off. I don't want to break anything so I want to ask before I just rip them off.]

No those do not have to be waxed. The link I put up, those do. They are metal.

If your knobs are the std strat tophat knobs they pull off but require a little effort. I will use a screwdriver and GENTLY pry up. Its not a great idea, but if you carefull you will be ok.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
hey Ninja23 - i think you should post the pics of your mod here...i know this whole thing should probably reside in GB&C but what the hay.

we're talkin strat right?

;

What mod???

Adding humbuckers in my strat or the wax thing? If the wax thing, then thats not my mod. I read how to DIY, somewhere. I could find it if thats what you are talking about. If you meant my guitar then here.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
pups...

...now that IS a mod

chrome or black mid cover and you are THERE yo

;

LoL, it's a Squier! I am getting a chrome middle SC cover. I am also ordering all new pots, caps, switch and wiring. I also need to buy a pickguard set up for HSH. The one thats on there, I cut from a SSS pickguard. I did a good job but you can see the existing wholes for the original pups.
So I don't think if anyone said anything about the humbucker question I had.

The plastic on it. Does it come off? So I can paint it from white to black.
from what i know....cause i've asked and searched before...

...no.

but, in know people have painted pup covers as illustrated in GB&C so go over there and walk thru the Sticky pics and then ask how they are doing it. must be special paint.

i'm not exactly sure on this or your specific pups but the plasitc that is used for HB pups is of certain grade i'm sure or they wouldn't use it ...and kinda built in. they affect the way the magnets handle sound.

;
Quote by BlackHawkA4
So I don't think if anyone said anything about the humbucker question I had.

The plastic on it. Does it come off? So I can paint it from white to black.

What pup is it you are looking at? I might be able to find one black already.

***EDIT Do you already have the pickup, or are you getting one?
Last edited by ninja23 at May 20, 2008,
I already have the pick up. It's the OEM one that comes with the Fender Strat HSS. I wanted to black out everything on it.
You might be out of options. I don't think you can take it apart. You could always replace it with a better pickup, in black. Or grab those black covers I linked and wax seal them to you pickup.
^+1

i was in the same boat - and ended up getting the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom TB-11.

i would post a pic but i don't have the bandwidth. If you search on that above you will find my posts. All black HSS strat is teh bomb imo.

i think that is your best option.

;
oh, so that is not your guitar? i get it.

unless you can find a special paint to use i think you are out of luck. been there done that. the plastic is actually an integrated part of HB. i can't remember the type of plastic off the top of my head but what i learned is that you can't paint them it could affect the sound.

BUT - check around over in Guitar Building and Customizing Forum as I see people that have painted thier pups.... i think.

Otherwise, just go buy a Duncan pup like the one in the pic you posted. Trembucker stylee.

;
what are the benefits of those chrome covers that you wax on? Maybe I will go with them. It would look sick with the diamond plate aluminum puckgaurd.
There is really no benefit to them. They are just covers, like Les Pauls or like Blaclouts or something. The ones I linked were not chrome though. You can get chrome, but the ones I linked were black.

If you are interested I can try and dig up the DIY wax job. It isn't hard. I just don't know if the holes in the cover would line up to the stock HB you have.

If you like the guitar I would just recommend instead of spending $25 on those covers, and the wax and stuff, get a good new humbucker ($70-$90)geared for the specific tone you are after. You can get it black.