Set up is :

Ibanez SZ ----> Wasabi Overdrive ----> Vox Da5 (digital solid state? no fx loop)

So is the Overdrive shaping the guitar humbuckers tone?? before it hits the amp???

Sounds good and all but im curious whats going on,

thanks
Why are you using an overdrive in front of a digital amp?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
cost me 20 bucks to get...and it sounds good. Helps brighten up my guitar humbuckers, I believe thats what its changing. Helps make the sound more organic and over driven.

So OD before amp = affects guitar tone ... OD after amp affects amps tone?
Quote by GoldenTrees
cost me 20 bucks to get...and it sounds good. Helps brighten up my guitar humbuckers, I believe thats what its changing. Helps make the sound more organic and over driven.

So OD before amp = affects guitar tone ... OD after amp affects amps tone?

What?
OD anywhere = Affects tone
Why would you put it after an amp?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I would say the Fx loop, of course im asking the question there was a big old ??? after that.....
Quote by stangconv
HOW would you put it after the amp?

that is exactly what im wondering ...
so an Over Drive is always meant to affect your guitar humbucker's or coil tone ???
^^^thats where you sound STARTS... EVERYTHING affects it

I think you have the wrong idea of what an effects loop is

Edit: An overdrive is meant to overdrive your preamp in your amp therefore getting those OD sounds.

Think of a good tube amp like you holding a megaphone. Your voice is the preamp (and is where most of your amps tone comes from) and the megaphone is like the power amp where it just amplifys your sound.

If you talk in a funny voice through the megaphone thats like having a pedal in between the guitar and the amp (where you put your OD)

If you have a setting on the megaphone that allows you to talk into it normally and it comes out funny thats like putting a pedal in the FX loop.
Last edited by stangconv at May 20, 2008,
haha yeah you got the wrong idea buddy....anything you put anywhere in your chain is going to affect your tone, even if tis in the effects loop...an effects loop doesnt come AFTER your amp either, its between the preamp and poweramp section.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
coool thanks, but i still dont fully understand !!! is the OD just changing my humbucker tone? or is it affecting the pre amp , and is the pre amp my humbuckers?? as you can see Thanks for the help
Dont think of tone as seperate parts... its one full thing all on its own.

Your amp makes up MOST of your tone, but everything in your rig will affect it in some way. Some affect it lots, (like your amp, Humbuckers VS Single coils) some things affect your tone alot but not quite as much (pedals etc.) and soem things are for fine tuning (different outputs/brands of pickups, different types of wood on the guitar etc)

SO yes putting an OD in your chain will affect your tone, but its your tone overall, its EVERYTHING. Tone doesnt really have parts.
The Wasabi OD is one of the few OD's i've tried that sounds good with SS amps.
Just listen to everyone else.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by GoldenTrees
coool thanks, but i still dont fully understand !!! is the OD just changing my humbucker tone? or is it affecting the pre amp , and is the pre amp my humbuckers?? as you can see Thanks for the help

ok first off .. humbuckers are your pickups in your guitar. they dont do anything but turn your strings vibrations into electrical signals .

your overdrive pedal changes your guitar signal before it reaches the amp.

and your pre-amp is a part of your actual amplifier that sort of boosts your guitar signal a bit before it is fully amplified.

and an effects loop is a setting on some amps that allow you to put effect pedals AFTER the preamp stages. AFTER your gain/EQ settings.. see you have your pedal going before your amp, so it distorts your guitar signal before you EQ it.

now to answer your question again. all your overdrive pedal is doing is boosting your guitar signal before it is amplified and EQ'd and all that stuff your Amp does.
and the signal is coming out of the humbuckers so the overdrive is affecting the humbuckers starting to understand,....yes dont think about it like that but is that whats going on?!
first read the stickies to understand how amps work. Then google overdrive pedals. Then keep pointless threads off the board. i dont mean to be mean but this can all be found out really easily.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Quote by GoldenTrees
and the signal is coming out of the humbuckers so the overdrive is affecting the humbuckers starting to understand,....yes dont think about it like that but is that whats going on?!

Good God. Nothing is "affecting the humbuckers"
seriosuly if i put an eq pedal after my guitar am i eq'ing the humbuckers tone?!!! i mean im just trying to understand this.

im changing the signal coming from the humbuckers??? still mad confused....
yes you are changing the signal coming from the pickups (humbuckers).. whatever

everything is changing the signal from your humbuckers from your pedals to your amp to your speakers.

your pedal is just affecting it first