What are some good solid state amps that have a preamp valve in them

thanks
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Most hybrids aren't any better than SS amps. One of the best practice/beginner amps out there, though, is the Vox Valvetronix series. It has what is generally considered a preamp tube, but the tube is technically a power amp tube for the particular amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by HarperCustom
not much of a difference in tone. it doesnt do a whole lot, kind of a marketing gimmick.

Thats kinda good to know. I love the tone of my marshall valvestate, but its too big for what I do and I was worried that changing to a small SS amp would have a crap tone in comparison.

Think i'll go get an orange crush afterall

Anyhow back on topic- sorry for the interruption.........
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
i would say if you are into the hybrid gig then go play thru:

vox valvetronix
peavey transtube
fender superchamp
sider valves?
others...can't name them all. tube combinations/effects combinations vary.

personally - i'd stick with the full tubes/valves.
Check out the old Marshall Valvestates (8000 series).
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
The one called the "gimmick" by the brand 'Marketing' is good.

But seriously, the idea of tube preamps is a marketing ploy predominantly becuase power amp distortion is the most desirable thing about tube amps and the thing that makes them sound better. If that's solid state, then basically you got a louder solid-state amp that still clips harshly and everything. I suggest you go a used all-tube combo, and you won't be wasting your money. The only decent (and I emphasise DECENT, not great) hybrid amp is the Vox Valvetronix.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

peavey transtube

The transtube seris is fully solid state, not hybrid. It has tube emulation circuitry, but no tubes in it whatsoever.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

vox valvetronix
peavey transtube
fender superchamp
sider valves?
others...can't name them all. tube combinations/effects combinations vary.

personally - i'd stick with the full tubes/valves.

Spider Valve is NOT hybrid. It's a tube amp with a POD in the effects loop.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Spider Valve is NOT hybrid. It's a tube amp with a POD in the effects loop.

The pod is the preamp, without the modeling, it's strictly a tube poweramp. It does not have a tube preamp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
The pod is the preamp, without the modeling, it's strictly a tube poweramp. It does not have a tube preamp.

No, it has a tube preamp.
Quote by Line 6 Website
driven by an all tube, all Bogner amplification design boasting 6L6 power tubes, 12AX7 preamp tubes

And according to the website, I am right. Don't talk about what you don't understand.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at May 20, 2008,
Quote by stradivari310
No, it has a tube preamp.

And according to the website, I am right. Don't talk about what you don't understand.

why don't you list the rest of what it has to say too.

Spider Valve delivers 12 channels of amp modeling - combined with several flavors of built-in modulation, delay and reverb – driven by an all tube, all Bogner amplification design boasting 6L6 power tubes, 12AX7 preamp tubes

do you see the words "amp modeling" there? What do you think that means? One of the 12AX7 tubes is the phase inverter for the poweramp, the other is a buffer after the digital preamp that adds "harmonic complexity" as they put it. Without the digital preamp, the amp has no preamp tone stack. Get your facts straight. That "all tube Bogner design" is the poweramp slick.

btw, I have no disdain for the SV, I actually like the amp for what it's designed for. The idea that "It's a tube amp with a POD in the effects loop" is not true however.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 20, 2008,
I have a Hartke GT60c hybrid amp, it has a tube preamp and SS power amp. It only cost $140 new, is 60 watts, and has a 12" speaker. It has an effects loop and 2 footswitchable channels with reverb. The wooden back is 2 piece and you can remove either the top or entire back if you don't like the closed in sound. I like it best with the top cover off on the back but the bottom cover on. No built in effects so that is part of why it's priced so low, but I wanted an amp with no effects. It sounds great and will get real loud if needed, but is tame at low volumes and great to practice on. It's very quiet and doesn't hiss and hum and have to warm up and cool down and stuff like tube amps. It sounds great at any volume and doesn't have to be cranked or used with an attenuator to sound good. I have a Peavey Classic 20 tube amp but it's not as user friendly as the Hartke.

The VOX AD series 30 & 50 and Roland Cube 30 or 60 are nice if you want a bunch of built in effects. I don't know if tube preamps are a gimmick or not, but my hybrid amp sounds really good and does what I want so that's all that matters.
Quote by Ventor
Check out the old Marshall Valvestates (8000 series).

I love my valvestate, but be careful on the smaller wattage ones if you "must have" a tube preamp. The very low wattage ones are completely solid state.

I'm unsure on which models, but I think marshalls website has the info on it.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!