i'm an amateur guitar player, and i really want to play metal music, but i have no progress when i try to. could someone just give me a push and teach me where to start?
honestly, most metal i play is power chords and palm mutes,

Killing In The Name by Rage Against The Machine isn't really metal, but it will teach you many of the techniques you'll need to play, so give it a shot
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Metallica. Assuming you are talking about playing guitar solos. They have music that is not too dificult but will give you a really good start, here are a few songs with good solos to practice...

Fade to black (intro solo)
Enter Sandman
Master of Puppets
Call of Ktulu
Fade to black (outro solo)
One
Ride the lightning

that is, in my opinion order of easiest to hardest, these are great solos to improve technical ability, and its metalica so you know its metal.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
hey. ok im in a metal band... but the trip is i never really listend to it before i joind the band.. and it is really shocking how good some of the guitar players in metal are.

as for advice its really just pratice and it will come.
i mean the first time i heard the band "as i lay dying" i was like WTF was that...
now im learning there songs. it just takes time and effort.

but try palm muting, and try strings skipping, and try alternet picking from the inside then the out.....(read up on that last one).
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
not to be a dick, but dont start off with metallica,

its great music, great metal, but some parts are incredibly hard, so you open yourself up to getting discouraged, go simpler first
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Well if you need to start from the start then learn a bunch of Black Sabbath songs.

If you become experienced then I would move on to the heavier metal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6-4VOLeKBOw

Quote by Xj2252bX
not to be a dick, but dont start off with metallica,
its great music, great metal, but some parts are incredibly hard, so you open yourself up to getting discouraged, go simpler first

I don't agree, when I first started playing guitar the first songs I learned were Seek and Destroy and Jump in the Fire and Enter Sandman. The riffs are easy but fun and the songs are easy to memorize.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at May 20, 2008,
oh yea and listen to

As i lay dying
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Trivium ( the album Ascendancy only)
i killed the prom queen
In this moment
emmure
norma jean
the devil wears prada

to start off
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
You should really look at Black Sabbath like jthm_guitarist said; but simple Metallica stuff like Enter Sandman could be helpful too.

In particular, you should look at Sabbath's Electric Funeral, Hand of Doom and, if you wanna try a solo as well, Iron Man.
wow! so many replies in so short time! thanks. anyway,

thanks for the so-many recommendations. i'll listen to them.

i have a question, what do i need to learn, really? scales? techniques? i really do not know what to practice. what do i need to practice?
just learn the songs to start off... if you want to hit the books and learn theory, all power to you.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Ive been playing metal for 8 years. The best thing to do is learn all you can And learn all styles of muic if you paly just metal you will screw ur self over. The reason I say this is because Other musical tec. come in handy in metla also never stop learning and I recommend getting a guitar teacher.
To tell you the truth the simplest metal song I know of is the first song my guitar teacher taught me

Livin after Midnight - Judas Priest..... the solo and all is very easy
I then went on to teach myself Breaking the law and the rythm to Metal Meltdown (havnt quiet got the intro solo or the main solo yet if anyone has any advice)
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Well if you need to start from the start then learn a bunch of Black Sabbath songs.

If you become experienced then I would move on to the heavier metal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6-4VOLeKBOw

I don't agree, when I first started playing guitar the first songs I learned were Seek and Destroy and Jump in the Fire and Enter Sandman. The riffs are easy but fun and the songs are easy to memorize.

ok i see your point, i didnt think of Enter Sandman, its just when i hear Metallica i automatically think of One, which i still haven't ****ing got down
Turquoise Team Beasts!
like i said...
try palm muting, and try string skipping, and try alternet picking from the inside then the out.....(read up on that last one).

read up on that stuff and try learning it...
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
This may be odd..but listen to classical music...
You will be totally surprised what you learn..
riffs..harmonies..and manipulating a persons emotions..
without words...

listen to some sabbath and metallica...even ACDC..
any band that can have their songs played with powerchords...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I used to have the same problem...till one day i picked up the guitar book on scales (big green book by adam kadmon)
it helped me tremendously. I know playing scales sounds boring as hell but it's really kinda fun...and you especially need to use a metronome. I'm entirely self taught so it's taken me quite a while but i can finally play some metallica and some of their solos because of that book. it just gives you a huge amount of dexterity and a new way of looking at the guitar to practice scales.
good luck
Develop your basics first. Metal is (In my opinion) the hardest genre to play. Atleast modern metal is, you could give a shot at some older metal bands. Metallica's rhythm is pretty easy as mentioned before, megadeth has SOME easy solos...but don't go and try Hangar 18 right away. Try she wolf by megadeth, it's an easy one.