At 94bpm. (normal speed) I can barely hold the pattern at 45bpm (if at all)... So to all of you who are able to hold it: damn you. *praises* But seriously, was it easy when you first tried playing it? Or was it a huge pain in the ass and took alot of practice to get it down?...
MRavioli: Is Steve Vai still Steve Vai without a massive tremolo backing him up?
Retro Rocker: He could probably think one into existence if he had to.
An easier lick that can help you get used to that sort of thing is the song stripper, its from the steve vai alcatrazz days and has a melody that is equivilant to about 130bpm 16th notes.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
My mate can play it and a lot of dream theater and petrucci solo stuff. Along with some satch and so on. I envy that bugger.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by Freepower
^ hell, 45 bpm isn't bad at all. Give it a year or two and you'll be nailing it up to tempo.

A year or two! He has been playing for 4 years already, I'm sure he can nail it a lot sooner if he practices enough.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
^ sure, i didn't know he'd been playing that long. Also, it's more a matter of whether you used to that particular kind of lick or not, not whether you've been playing that long.
Quote by Freepower
^ sure, i didn't know he'd been playing that long. Also, it's more a matter of whether you used to that particular kind of lick or not, not whether you've been playing that long.

Very true. If that is the case then it may take a bit longer to nail TS.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by Luthfx
At 94bpm. (normal speed) I can barely hold the pattern at 45bpm (if at all)... So to all of you who are able to hold it: damn you. *praises* But seriously, was it easy when you first tried playing it? Or was it a huge pain in the ass and took alot of practice to get it down?...

you're talking about the intro right?

just do it slow and get the pattern down. it also helps to have good action, but just give it some practice, watch steve do it..and you should be fine.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Are we talking about the fun tapping riff?

Yes I can play it, although it was a biznatch to learn.
hue
Sorry for teh hijackz but how do I get the tone for the intro? Or for the entire song? I'm working on the song too. ITS JUST SO DAMN ELECTRONIC.
Quote by akack
Sorry for teh hijackz but how do I get the tone for the intro?

You don't. Unless you have a ****load of all kinds of rack gear and pedals and whatnot.
The tone at the start is doubled on keyboards live, on the record its with a synth pickup.

A year or two! He has been playing for 4 years already, I'm sure he can nail it a lot sooner if he practices enough.

---

---

you're talking about the intro right?

just do it slow and get the pattern down. it also helps to have good action, but just give it some practice, watch steve do it..and you should be fine.

---

Good news is, I "nailed" it at 96bpm 20 minutes ago. But I couldn't hold it for very long. Like.. maybe 2 seconds, enough to almost get through the first part before the 2nd bar) but for now I can do it well enough at 80bpm. I'm not as tired as I was when I learned it so I should probably have it down by next week or sooner.

And as well, I don't double tap (in the Steve Vai fashion anyway) unless it's on 1 or 2 strings at a time, not 5 X_x
MRavioli: Is Steve Vai still Steve Vai without a massive tremolo backing him up?
nailing it is classed as being as being able to play it fluidly, if you could only hold it for 2 seconds I think your muscles are too tense and you're not playing it correctly.

Like I said, I don't double tap in that fashion. So it's going to take me awhile to get used to it.
After opening this thread I decided to give it a shot. To say the least, my tapping has improved tenfold. Perfect doorway for me to improve my technique. It's really not all that hard, but the speed is a little overwhelming at the moment and I'm trying to get the pattern smooth. I can do it at about 80 bpm though.
It's really not all that hard, but the speed is a little overwhelming at the moment and I'm trying to get the pattern smooth.

Agree'd.
I've been playing about 10 months, and I'm like, at this point, better than most people in my town, because I'm into Jazz/Metal, and I can play a few pretty difficult licks...

But Christ that intro is ridiculous. I got some of the first lead part down, though...
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks