i dont know if there is different ways of holding the neck for different genres, but im asking about shredding.

i hold the neck with my thumb on the back of the neck. its always felt right to me. but lately ive been trying to work up my speed and such, but i cant reach the frets on the thickest string past the 18th fret, and also i have to have my nails pointing towards the bridge for the higher strings. ive tried to just stick with it, but when i hold the neck as i do, my wrist hits the lower horn of my guitar. this gets even worse when im standing up.

so i was wondering if there is a special way that im supposed to hold the neck to have better access to the upper frets. (i have an ltd neck through guitar.)

thanks
Yeah I have the same problem with my guitar, I'm thinking that the only way around it is to get a guitar that is cut away further down the neck to allow easy high fret access :/
It should just be whatever feels comfortable for you. I play with my thumb pointing toward the headstock, kinda like a thumbs up. But I've also seen many people who play with their thumb pointing upwards.
Depending on where my hand is on the neck, my thumb can either be pointing towards the headstock, or straight up and down - but the important thing is try and keep the thumb a bit low on the neck for speed since your fingers work a bit better that way.
Quote by TNA
It should just be whatever feels comfortable for you. I play with my thumb pointing toward the headstock, kinda like a thumbs up. But I've also seen many people who play with their thumb pointing upwards.

+1
The "correct" (classical style) way is to have all of your fingers - thumb included - parallel to the frets, and the palm of your hand parallel to the neck for playing pretty much anything but bends and vibrato. It sounds like you have this part down.

However, you also need to keep your wrist as straight as possible. To me, this sounds like the problem you're having, as you should have great upper fret access with that guitar. Your wrist is sticking out, and hitting the horn. Try keeping your wrist straight; it's harder, but worth it as there is also less strain on your wrist.

Either that, or your hands are just really small :/
Quote by hmblm12
i dont know if there is different ways of holding the neck for different genres, but im asking about shredding.

i hold the neck with my thumb on the back of the neck. its always felt right to me. but lately ive been trying to work up my speed and such, but i cant reach the frets on the thickest string past the 18th fret, and also i have to have my nails pointing towards the bridge for the higher strings. ive tried to just stick with it, but when i hold the neck as i do, my wrist hits the lower horn of my guitar. this gets even worse when im standing up.

so i was wondering if there is a special way that im supposed to hold the neck to have better access to the upper frets. (i have an ltd neck through guitar.)

thanks

I actually have that problem too. I always thought it was just because my guitars neck is too short.
Any orthodox guitar teacher will tell you to curl your fingers and only play with the tips.

In piano, you are supposed to do the same thing, and that increases speed, I suppose the same could go for guitar.
Well shit man.
The way I was taught was to keep your thumb behind the neck for the most part, unless you are bending, then it is almost required to bring the thumb over for good leverage. Also, past the twelfth fret where the frets get much smaller, it is okay to break the discipline and pop the thumb over the neck and rotate your wrist (i usually still don't do that though).