Hi all,

I have an Ibanez S520EX which has a 25.5" scale length and I was wondering if I could tune in Drop A without having intonation problems.

I know how to set the intonation and I have noticed that the tremolo on my guitar has extra holes so I can move the intonation parts (sorry, I don't know the name of the parts, I meant the parts that you move to change the intonation) further back.

I guess that 0.13 gauge string will be needed for that tuning.

So, is possible?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
You're gonna want at least 13's man... lol maybe 14's even because of the neck.

I guess if you set everything right it wouldn't be too bad, especially if you use a locking trem. You are gonna definitely need 5 springs though to even out the tension.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
You're gonna want at least 13's man... lol maybe 14's even because of the neck.

The longer the neck, the more tension needed to reach a pitch.
Drop A, try 12's. I managed 11's with a scale close to yours, but it was really floppy.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
The longer the neck, the more tension needed to reach a pitch.
Drop A, try 12's. I managed 11's with a scale close to yours, but it was really floppy.

He said he had a tremolo, thats why I said add springs to make it stable.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
He said he had a tremolo, thats why I said add springs to make it stable.

Did you not notice me talk about the neck?
The longer the neck, the more tension needed to bring the guitar up to 440 tuning.
12's would be fine. And he wouldn't need 5 springs in the tremolo. 3 should do, or 4 if he feels he needs it. After all, he is drop tuning and making the strings looser.
12 or 13's and 5 springs should do it.

What are you gonna play Korn?

Also for intonation
Get a tuner
and make sure the open note is the same note as a 12th fret natural harmonic.
Serious, just go to google.
5 springs in the tremolo?
Wouldn't that be overboard?
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']12 or 13's and 5 springs should do it.

What are you gonna play Korn?

Also for intonation
Get a tuner
and make sure the open note is the same note as a 12th fret natural harmonic.
Serious, just go to google.

It's not the harmonic, it's the harmonic and actually pressing the 12th fret. I know it sucks :P
10-46 in E has the same tension as 13-56 in B (or pretty darn close anyway)

you won't suffer intonation problems so long as you set it properly.

fretted note at the 12th fret should match the note of a harmonic on the 12th.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Lol I played Drop A with my Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms (10-56 hybrid i think) and it was fairly floppy, still sounded decent. Drop B is fine though
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Thats with the ZR trem isnt it? You should just be able to adjust your tension using the wheel in the back, you cant physically add extra springs onto a ZR trem system, you should need to adjust the tension in a bridge a significant amount anyway, thats why you need the heavier strings.

The only other adjustment you may have to make would be your action, heavy strings at low action can be very suseptable to buzzing.
I used to have 3 springs for B standard on a 25.5" neck, but recently changed to 4 because it got out of tune quite fast. With 4 its just good, 5 would have been a bit too much.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I know I can down tune that low (already went to C, with the intonation right or almost right)

The problem that I can see: if the note on the 12th fret it's harmonic are right, will all the frets be right too?

I mean: if I fret the 6th fret for example, will it be out of tune?

I know how to adjust the tension in the spring of my ZR trem, it's quite easy.

And it's not for Korn, it's for playing (at least trying to play) some Nile :p
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
Quote by alex3996
I know I can down tune that low (already went to C, with the intonation right or almost right)

The problem that I can see: if the note on the 12th fret it's harmonic are right, will all the frets be right too?

I mean: if I fret the 6th fret for example, will it be out of tune?

I know how to adjust the tension in the spring of my ZR trem, it's quite easy.

And it's not for Korn, it's for playing (at least trying to play) some Nile :p

You can never perfectly tune a guitar. If you get the 12th fret harmonic right, the 24th one will sound off. It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Moe.
Did you not notice me talk about the neck?
The longer the neck, the more tension needed to bring the guitar up to 440 tuning.
12's would be fine. And he wouldn't need 5 springs in the tremolo. 3 should do, or 4 if he feels he needs it. After all, he is drop tuning and making the strings looser.

Bigger gauge strings creates more tension on the neck, especially on standard (not baritone) guitars. I highly doubt 3 springs would handle 13's on a normal guitar. And because he has a tremolo, the spring tension needs to equal the string tension, so going from like 10's to 13's is huge and definitely would require at least 1 additional spring, maybe two.

Basically I'm saying just because he's tuning lower doesn't mean going up in string gauge size is gonna equal the tension out, he'd still need to even out the spring tension.

Because its a ZR trem, you need to adjust the wheel in the back to increase the spring tension to even them out.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS