Page 1 of 12
Welcome to the first T&C Competition thread.

SUB MISSIONS ARRRRRRRRRGHH CLOSED.

In this thread, you post if you want to participate or judge this competition.

[NOTICE] - Signup is closed. This thread is for discussion of submitted songs and general chitchat regarding this competition.
If You would like to be a judge, you can still ask to be one.

If you would like to judge, please post saying so.

On the 27th of May the genre for this competition will be decided.

Once the genre is decided, I shall start a new thread that shall ONLY be for submissions.
There is to be no other posting in the submission thread other than your final songs.
Submission Deadline is 10th of June.

The format for uploads shall be a .zip with either a Guitar Pro file or a PowerTab file, aswell as a midi.
If you are using GP5, you need to put a .gp5, .gp4 and a .midi because some people may not have Guitar Pro 5.

Your submissions must be new songs.
You cannot submit songs you have already posted in T&C, or just old songs.

If you wish to comment on a submitted song, do it in this thread.

I will elaborate more on submissions in the submission thread.

Judges:
I will list the judges here.
If you would like to be a judge please PM me aswell as posting here saying so.
Depending on how many people would like to participate in the competition, I may need to lower the number of judges.
If you are a Judge, you may not submit a song. You can only judge.
More judges = more democratic representation and more accurate rating results.
EVERY song must be rated by EVERY judge (self explanatory, to get correct results)
I would like each judge to have a word or text file with their ratings in it, and at the end of the submission period please post your ratings in THIS thread.
Points are given on a scale from 1 to 10 and please give a written explanation of your rating, something more substantial than "good song 10/10"
Your ratings should reflect a neutral point of view. If you need help writing something more than just a rundown of the parts you liked and didn't like, try to rate the song according to criteria such as:
-Song structure
-Arrangement/Orchestration
-Rhythmic quality
-Melodic quality
-Originality/creativity
etc..
Your general rating should then reflect your comments.
Remember to rate according to the standards of the competition songs, compare the songs with other competition songs, not with real professional songs.
Judging should begin on the deadline for submissions, and I would like to have each judge's ratings within one week of the submission deadline.

Once I have All the ratings, I will tally them all up and place them in this thread next to the name of each participant and their song.

Once you have decided on being a participant of judge, you can not change.
You must stay as either a judge or participant.

Have fun.

Judges;
The_Bass_Poet
Regression
b101
Valo
Td_Nights

Participants;
Jonathan Trejo
champloo
saddam
gonzaw
RedDeath9
ctb
PinkIsCool
MurderousIntent
Thomasoman
bloodshed344
zakatak9389
Zao_89
DarkTom666
Garb
1crazyboy7
gallagher2006
duncang
strat07
talentfree
Better
Slaytanic1993
Broadsword
Greymane
SGxMastodonxSG
Its_Rock77
Madzää ..?

~ Please Crit One Of My Songs? ~
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
The_Bass_Poet, I want your babies.
Last edited by The_Bass_Poet at Jun 12, 2008,
this sounds fun ill edit my post later to say if im in what genre etc..
itll be hard to pick a genre
I'll be a judge.

Mind you depending on the genre I may not be the best one. I might opt out if it's a genre I'm not very familiar with.
b101, if you have read the Judges part of my post and understand the expectations I have for each judge, then sure

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
I vote Punk/Funk ( but i might note meet the deadline so in case that happends put me up for a back-up Judge) Ill be a participant for now hehe.
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
lol cut&n'paste hitjob ^^

Doesn't the forum engine have the option to attach a voting poll to a new thread ? That'd be a clean way to sort out the genre.

Also I advise against too many specific options, you'll get more of a cluster**** this way and no consensus is reached. Just use the voting to get a general feel of the interest-atmosphere, then open a general 'metal'-competition, etc.

edit: mind putting on a little formatting on the original post (you know, sort in paragraphs, underline headlines, bold important parts). If it looks good, I suggest asking the resident mods if they can sticky it for a while so the competition idea gets maximum exposure
Last edited by Ailes at May 20, 2008,
Doesn't the forum engine have the option to attach a voting poll to a new thread ?

I thought that, but then I would have to keep adding genres if someone suggests a genre that isnt up there and etc.

And a genreal Metal competition wouldn't work because there are lots of different metal sub-genres that sound completely different.

Also I hope you don't mind the cut, paste, tweaking.
Saves me from having to rewrite perfectly fine information

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
Jon, you have to be either a participant OR a judge.
Once you have chosen you can't change.

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
Sure I don't mind, at least its in standart font size and not squintingly small ^^

And the genres, at least what is composed here in GP in the genres, are perfectly compatible to be judged with each other. Of course for example death and powermetal don't sound the same (nor should they), but the discrepancies are not so big that you couldn't compare them against each other.
But the main reason I'm saying this is because a more generalized theme brings in more people, who'd otherwise feel left out if the theme was too specific.

Another thing I've noticed in your rules, you want the judges to pm you their rating results ? Should be done out in the open, just have them post it on the forum. That brings transparency, no one can complain about backdoor fraud, and it's easier..
hmm well then ill be a participant then . But i might not meet your dead line ...

If i start writing now ill probably be finished on your dead line... but what genre ?
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
Hmm.
Good point, I'll change that.
[the judging]

And you're right about the generalisation, But I think that whatever the genre people will give it a shot.
Kinda like trying something new
I hope anyways. I'd like to try something different myself.

Jon, did you even read the post?
There's one week for genre voting, then a two week period in which you can submit your songs.
If you can't submit your song before then I guess you can either submit your unfinished song, or PM me and we should be able to make an exeption or something.

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
Last edited by The_Bass_Poet at May 20, 2008,
i would like to participate.
i vote for....

any metal Genre, sub-genre whatever. As long as its metal its good.
Last edited by champloo at May 20, 2008,
I will participate...

Going to do classical (kind of a new route since I only did 2 pieces)...

But well, I will have some time to think about the actual genre of classical music that I would want to do.

gonzaw-Classical (any genre, maybe even medieval trobador music)
I'll be a judge.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
ctb.
acoustic.

when the genre is decided, do we all have to do the same genre? :/
errr....there's a chance that I won't do this....

but incase I do.

Its_Rock77- Pop Rock
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I'll vote for a Thursday-esque post-hardcore kind of thing...but I'll most likely be the only person to vote that.
Quote by Jonathan Trejo
errr You've got 2 weeks It isnt that bad hehe. You plan on writing a master piece? hehe

haha no, not a crazy 10 min+ one at least. It's just a metalcore-ish song. I'm really gonna try and buckle down and finish it though when I get time to. Just cuz I work five days a week, so I haven't really had the time too haha

I vote for metal

EDIT: we should just have a single comp for metal of all kinds, instead of one for each of it's sub-genres. It'd just be a lot easier that way. But then we'd have to make sure the judges won't be biased, just cuz they don't like thrash or death metal etc.
Last edited by zakatak9389 at May 20, 2008,
Quote by zakatak9389
haha no, not a crazy 10 min+ one at least. It's just a metalcore-ish song. I'm really gonna try and buckle down and finish it though when I get time to. Just cuz I work five days a week, so I haven't really had the time too haha

I vote for metal

EDIT: we should just have a single comp for metal of all kinds, instead of one for each of it's sub-genres. It'd just be a lot easier that way. But then we'd have to make sure the judges won't be biased, just cuz they don't like thrash or death metal etc.

Actually, metal is going to be taken out completely, leaving only rock, classical, and jazz..

(Ha, lets see how you manage with that!)

"so it can't be metal now or what?"

that was an unrelated joke, I guess

@ bass poet: Just make the theme "metal" (all genres), it will cover most of the constituency, and start soon. This is getting too balkanized and nothing comes out of it otherwise, trust me on this.