Hi, I'm kinda new to the Ultimate-Guitar forums and I have a problem with my bass and I'm not sure what is doing it....so I thought I would ask here and see what people think. Ok well the problem is when I turn down the three pick up knobs on my bass and just put up the volume knob I get no noise...nothing. If I turn the two pick up knobs on right up and volume I still get no noise from amp. The only way I get noise is if I turn the left knob up and then it works. This has just happened recently and I'm not sure if it would be the bass it's self or the leads, and the leads are starter ones which i got from a pack and they aren't that great and was am going to buy some new ones anyway but just wondering what would be causing the problem.

Thanks

Will.
It is just a no name one. I should of got a squire but I thought I didn't really matter what starter bass I get and this one just looked cool =p. But I still have warranty on I'm sure.... ya but I dont wont to send bass back to shop when the leads were the problem so need to try figure which one is the problem.
The knob you call the volume is probably the tone knob, and the pickup knobs are the two volume knobs. With only the tone knob on, you get no sound because the volume knobs are down. One or both of the pickup knobs need to be on to hear any noise.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Can we have a picture of the bass's body?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by t3hrav3n
The knob you call the volume is probably the tone knob, and the pickup knobs are the two volume knobs. With only the tone knob on, you get no sound because the volume knobs are down. One or both of the pickup knobs need to be on to hear any noise.

This is what im thinking as well, and isn't the volume knob usually the closest to your neck of the instrument?
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Open up the electronics cavity, take a picture and we can see. Just make sure it is a good resolution.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm expecting it runs like most a lot of these old basses, I know I have one from the 70's that does it. There things he thinks are tone controls are separate Volume controls for each pick up, so that you can blend in the different pick ups to increase the variation in tone, the other being the tone control. This bass I have has a master volume as well, but I would need to see the controls for this bass
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
looks like 2 volumes and 2 tones to me................. though im hopeless with this stuff lol
I am me. Live with it.
Anyone else have any ideas? but when i noticed this problem im so sure that this was never like this...but idk.
The two nearest the bridge are definitely tone knobs for your two pickups. I'm guessing the other two are volume, but I can't figure out what the circuit board on the one pot is for.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
try puttin all the knobs on full
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by t3hrav3n
The two nearest the bridge are definitely tone knobs for your two pickups. I'm guessing the other two are volume, but I can't figure out what the circuit board on the one pot is for.

What circuit board?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the ones with the green things are the tone pots, as I don't think you'd put capacitors on a volume knob unless you wanted to effect the volume change. A company wouldn't really do that on a stock electronics set.

So the ones without caps on (without the green things) are your volumes, and the ones with the green caps are your tones.

As you've got two pickups, chances are one of the volume and tone pots are for the P pickup, and the other ones are for the J pickup in the bridge!

Hope I helped.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
wake up kids

from left to right

Volume
Pickup pan
Tone
tone

the second one bias' the signal between the two pickups, the first obviously controls the volume, and the other two are either individual pickup tones or something random?

does the second one click when you're turning it?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
wake up kids

from left to right

Volume
Pickup pan
Tone
tone

the second one bias' the signal between the two pickups, the first obviously controls the volume, and the other two are either individual pickup tones or something random?

does the second one click when you're turning it?

This. I was wondering what the blend could be, as I couldn't see how many lugs it has. However, this seems to make sense.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
This. I was wondering what the blend could be, as I couldn't see how many lugs it has. However, this seems to make sense.

*ego*

Sorry, i've been having a brilliant day at guessing what/who things are.

Its not because i've got a similar bass

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
*ego*

Sorry, i've been having a brilliant day at guessing what/who things are.

Its not because i've got a similar bass

You just copied what I said and made my second volume into a blend.

I'm onto you...

Watch out...

>_>

<_<
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
You just copied what I said and made my second volume into a blend.

I'm onto you...

Watch out...

>_>

<_<

Yea baby!

Quote by metaldud536

I saw two tones, so it makes sense that each pup has a tone for itself.

The whole one knob controling the volume suggests a single volume pot. From the photos, that looks like the left hand pot.

I had a hunch the other was a blend, but the wiring was too messy to really tell. Makes perfect sense though.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I saw two tones, so it makes sense that each pup has a tone for itself.

The whole one knob controling the volume suggests a single volume pot. From the photos, that looks like the left hand pot.

I had a hunch the other was a blend, but the wiring was too messy to really tell. Makes perfect sense though.

yep, i was thinking a switch but saw the front. at least, i think it is. it makes sense but it could be something different for all i know!

Quote by metaldud536

I thought that little bit on the second pot was a circuit board, I could've been wrong.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Ok thanks for all your help. So 2 volumes and 2 tones....sweet thanks.
Quote by Will#
Ok thanks for all your help. So 2 volumes and 2 tones....sweet thanks.

No. 1 volume, a blend and 2 tone knobs.

And it isn't a circuit board. The number of wires comming off suggests a blend pou.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The pot with the MN250K written on it is a blend pot, also called a pickup balance pot.

Your circuit is a "2-pickup passive 2-band eq", which is quite unusual.

From neck to bridge, the pot ordering is as follows:

- volume
- balance
- lows (pass-high)
- highs (pass-low)

> when I turn down the three pick up knobs on my bass and
> just put up the volume knob I get no noise...nothing.

> If I turn the two pick up knobs on right up and
> volume I still get no noise from amp.

> The only way I get noise is if I turn the left knob up

It's either:

- the neck pickup is dead (not likely)
- leads from the neck pickup to the blend pot are broken (not ilkely)
- a cold joint between one of the neck pickup leads on the blend pot
- a broken blend pot

If you have a multi-meter you can check which component is dead.

On the blend pot, there should be 2 sets of 3 soldering pins, one stacked above the other. Can you check and confirm ?

What we're interested in is the set on top, because that's where the lead of the neck pickup is soldered. That lead is the white coated wire coming out from a hole in the body, with it's counterpart, the black coated wire.

Now spot where that black coated wire is soldered. Notice that wire is not soldered on a pin but directly on the pot casing. On the picture, it's at the lower left of the top of the casing. Check ?

Set your meter to measure ohms. If you have to set the range of measurement, we're measuring roughly 4 to 6 kohms.

Check your meter:

- when the probe tips are not in contact, the meter should read infinity or 99999
- when you make the probe tips touch each other, the meter should read '0'.

Check ?

Let's check the bass guitar now:

- Turn *all* pots, including the blend pot, all the way down. In this position the blend pot selects the neck pickup exclusively.

- place one probe tip on the upper *middle* soldering pin of the blend pot and hold it there,

- place the other probe tip on the solder blotch where the black coated wire is soldered to the pot casing,

... and the meter should give you a figure matching the pickup's impedence.

If you get 99999 or infinity, try pressing the probe tips moderately hard against the solders (not the pin itself).

If you still get 99999 or infinity, try placing each probe tip as to touch directly the wires (the copper, not the plastic coating) of the neck pickup.

Still got 99999 ?
Your neck pickup windings is broken or one of the pickup's leads is broken (fixable but very expensive).

If you get on the meter a figure rougly around 4 kohms, then your pickup is good.

Now we're going to check the blend pot:

- place one probe tip on the upper middle pin and hold it there

- place the other probe tip on the upper left pin as seen in the picture

The meter should read '0'.

If it doesn't read '0', try moving the tips along the solder on each pin or directly on the wires, if you can reach the wire soldered to the left pin.

If you still can't read '0', the blend pot is broken and needs to be replaced.

Eventually, if you're used to having the blend pot always in the middle position or always either turned all the way up or turned all the way down, someone with soldering experience can bypass the pot and eventually any unused pickup all together in just a few minutes.

The final check is:

- turn the blend pot all the way up

- again, place one probe tip on the upper middle pin

- place the other probe tip on the upper left pin as seen in the picture

The meter should now read 99999 or infinity or a very high value of resistance that blocks the neck pickup from having an effect on the output signal of the bass. If you have a value closer to the pickup's impedence than 99999, then the blend pot is leaking and should be replaced.

if you want to test the bridge pickup, you have to reach the lower middle pin instead of the upper middle pin. The other probe spots are the same.

If you read 99999 or infinity when probing the solders but get the right figures when touching the wires, it means one of the solder points has a cold joint and needs to be redone.
Last edited by ColdGin at May 23, 2008,