I'm going to graduate in a few weeks and I'll be moving apartments. Now, the next place I'll get I'm probably going to be at for a few years, so I figure I might as well make it something I can live with musically. I really need to soundproof my playing area as much as possible. I'm looking at some townhouse-style apartments with garages, because I figure I can use the garage space to play and not bother anyone. It would be adjacent to other garages, not living/bedrooms. It would also be ground level, and I would own the space directly above it.

Unfortunately, I can't see a way to soundproof a garage-- or even make it accoustically viable. Is the garage floor going to f*** with my sound? Can I soundproof garage doors while having them still function? Should I choose a different room within the townhouse, or maybe get a different apartment setup?

Furthermore, I'm still not sure what to use for soundproofing. I don't have the finance to actually build any walls (plus that would suck in a garage anyway). Maybe some framing with soundproofing insulation? I'm not sure how to do that or how much it will cost. If it's too much, it will have to be something I can take with me if I need to move again.

What do you all suggest? Keep in mind I can't do anything permanent (other than regular door or window replacements). The garage has to be functional too.

If you say egg cartons, I'll slap you.
Egg cartons.

*Waits for slap*

Give it to me HARD!!

>_>

Well, you could get little foam pyramids and glue them to the wall:

Its cheap!
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
/SLAP! (hard.)

Yeah I think that stuff might be what I end up doing. I was hoping for something a little more powerful though. Do you think that will deaden it enough to keep from escaping to my neighbors places? (We are sharing a wall upstairs). From what I understand, eggcrate helps with accoustics but not soundproofing.
I saw a room which had huge foam pyramids sticking out like 6 inches from the wall and it didnt allow any echoeing. It deadened the sound pretty damn well as well. Im no expert on it, but maybe try calling a few soundproofers/studios and see what they have to offer in the form of soundproofing.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
get some large rugs and hang them on wall as well
the time i burnt my guitar was like a sacrifice. you sacrifice the things you love, i love my guitar-jimi hendrix
Will those ideas work to actually proof sound or just deaden it inside the garage? I need both, but the soundproofing is actually what I'm most concerned with. I appreciate the help, but have these ideas worked for you guys personally?
i live in a unit of 3 and we have a spare room our band practices in so we needed to sound proof it up a bit.

we bought extra dense foam about 4 inches thick and had it cut to size to fit into our window frames and against the back of our door and that helped a hell of alot.

havnt had a complaint yet and we are surrounded by houses in a cliche suburban type town
Quote by Deliriumbassist
that's not a drink, that's just coke with random crap floating in it
Use a pencil to puncture the ear drums of all your neighbors. Its cheaper.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Displaca, that's pretty encouraging. That's a pretty good idea.

Portuguese boy, if you can find a google response to my question of where to live, which room to soundproof, and how to soundproof it, let me know. My question is specific to the kind of location in which I'm living (which I can still choose). That's the advice I'm looking for-- it's more complex than "what materials block sound?" Thanks, to the rest of you, for offering your assistance! You're a great help.
It would be more effective to suffocate your neighbours with the egg cartons rather than stick them to your walls.
Quote by Yenko38
Displaca, that's pretty encouraging. That's a pretty good idea.

Portuguese boy, if you can find a google response to my question of where to live, which room to soundproof, and how to soundproof it, let me know. My question is specific to the kind of location in which I'm living (which I can still choose). That's the advice I'm looking for-- it's more complex than "what materials block sound?" Thanks, to the rest of you, for offering your assistance! You're a great help.

I offered you more assistance then the egg cartoons, at least I answered your how to soundproof it question.