Hi,

Just thought I would let you all know about this free tool I have created. It helps you to understand the circle of fifths and how it can be used for figuring out scales, modes and keys. I find it a really useful practice aid.

It's currently version one. I'm going to add sound and more options for giving you control over displaying only information that you are interested in. Keep your eyes peeled for version two!!!

Anyway, let me know if you find this helpful.

It was dark... I was changing a string!

The Interactive Circle of Fifths
Very cool Im not to sure how the circle of 5ths worked, but this will give me great insight! Cheers
MASSIVE TEXT
cool, just a little slow on the lower notes like G.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Thanks for the feedback...

Yeah, I need to make the rotation faster if the note is further away from it's destination... Or I might just increase the speed full stop. All for version 2!!!

Thanks again. I'm glad you all seem to find it useful.
is it possible that you compile it as an application for download rather than use it on webpage?
that's cool.

Are planing on putting romans ?

you know... IV, I, V,II,VI,III,VI
maybe high light the relative at the 3 O clock
J.A.M... I have seen that web site, and referenced it in some of my other pages on the circle of fifths... It's a truly awesome resource and inspiration for my app in many ways.

You're right, that page has a lot of stuff that I haven't covered in my app... But as far as I can tell, using the circle of fifths for working out how to use the major scale for modes isn't there. And that's what I set out to create in the first instance. I definitely plan on making the app more functional, but at the moment it is useful for scales, chords in a key and modes, which I think is quite a lot for a very simple app.

I'm glad you are enjoying playing with it! It's great to choose a key and then see just how easy it is to play different modes for that key by simply playing the major scale in other positions.

@dimebag1d... I could certainly make an app that is downloadable... But if I did, I would wait until it is a bit more sophisticated. It's a bit rough around the edges at the moment.

I welcome all your comments. It will help me to improve version two!!!
@Ordinary,

I'll certainly consider putting in the numerals. Ideally, I'd like to have options (radio buttons, tick boxes or whatever) that allow the user to choose exactly what information they want displayed, as adding too much more to it could make it look incredibly messy. If I'm to put clock-face numerals in, I would also want to give the option to number the chords in a key, so major first, minor second and third, major fourth and fifth etc.....

Hopefully I'll find time to spend on version 2 soon! I'm enthusiastic about it, it's just finding the time. I work in IT full time and also teach guitar lessons so my schedule is pretty busy...