hey, so i went out and bought a mini mbox2, a 500 dollar shure condenser mic, some 200 dollar m audio monitors, and protools le. i feel that i may have bought more than i can handle. the shure condenser mic is not efficient for everything i want to do, especially considering i don't sing. the mini mbox2 only has 2 inputs either for di or mic, and that is not enough because i want to mic the drums soon. i did all this without asking so now i need to know is. how do i add more inputs? can i just put a mixer into one of the inputs to the interface and put all the mics into the mixer? and if this did work it wouldn't limit me too much on the mix because i can mix on the mixer before it goes into the computer right? and last i am looking at getting 3 sm57's and a behringer mixer so that i can record my drums, i just have that condenser mic that picks up everything so i was going to mic up the snare bass and hi hat and do overhead with my condenser. sorry i know that was alot but any help is appreciated.
I can't answer specifics about miking drums, but, yes, you can use the main outputs of a mixer to create a stereo output to the Mbox while expanding your inputs. Although it does remove a bit of flexibility compared to using a firewire interface, it's not the end of the world.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
If you dont have proper acoustic treatment in your room I would not go with that $500 mic...it will pick up every little sound you make...

The interface you have is nice for starters but you cant use any more that one or two mics on it at a time. IF you want to mic a drum set you will want to upgrade to a firewire interface such as the Pre Sonus Firestudio Project which goes for $500.

$200 monitors will work but dont expect anything great from them. I actually do like the sound of the KRK PR5s though which are not selling for $100 each.

Save your money on the behringer mixer and just upgrade the interface. Most software has on board mixing and so you should not need a table top mixer.

Look over Tweaks Guide and get some proper info under your belt before going and just buying gear. Doing this will save you time and money in the end.
He's already got the microphone and monitors...guess he can improve the preamps and interface when needed. Still the Mbox isn't half bad.

Ideally though, TS, I'd save enough money for a Mackie Onyx 1620 and the firewire interface if you want analog control and Firewire ability (with enough preamps for drums). You may want to look into mods so the sends are Post-EQ (ie: the great EQ can be used when recording through the DAW). Then it can be used for live performances without a sweat.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 21, 2008,