hey guys..

this is just an idea i thought of when i was thinking of my school music comp at the end of the year.. ok you know how Jimi Hendrix plays a right handed guitar upside down to make it left handed and he jus changes the strings, bridge set-up etc.. do u recon itd be an awsome idea to get a left handed strat copy and do the same to make it a right handed axe?? if i did do this what are all the things i would need to change to make it sound right and not f*** up on me... cheers
it's kinda pointless really, unless you wanna be a hendrix clone or something. but if you're going ahead with it you'll need to make a new nut, maybe swap the pickups round aswell.

oh and re-drill strap buttons
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
kk, sweet... umm im just wanting to do it just so itl look different and not just be the same as everyone else... try impress the judges sort of thing... is there nething else i need to change?.... oh yea im gonna buy a cheap strat copy.. and completly strip it down and ****.. sand and new paint etc..
Last edited by frusciante_funk at May 20, 2008,
Quote by frusciante_funk
umm im just wanting to do it just so itl look different and not just be the same as everyone else...

Riight... so you copy Hendrix?
How different.
Well it's a noble idea with honest intentions I guess, but you'll walk up and people will instantly think you've just done a Hendrix; better to have a standard righty guitar, with confidence in your performance and ownership of the stage and music to impress them
Quote by twistedmaggot
it's kinda pointless really, unless you wanna be a hendrix clone or something. but if you're going ahead with it you'll need to make a new nut, maybe swap the pickups round aswell.

oh and re-drill strap buttons

I don't understand what you are talking about lol. The only thing you said that makes sense to me is maybe he would have to re-drill the strap holes. A bridge pickup will still be a bridge pickup when the guitar is turned upside down, a new nut? why not take the nut out and turn it upside down

also @ ts you're best not to copy the way hendrix has his guitar, if you really like hendrix, learn to play like him without ripping off his ideas. Play his songs and add you own spin on them (after you get good of course)
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at May 20, 2008,
you'll need to flip the nut over and relocate the front strap button. about the pickups, a part of Jimi's sound was in t he the reverse pickups.
strat player forever.
Yes, follow what I said in my post up there, musical and performing ability is going to be more influential than a few gimmicks
play with your teeth? behind your head? how about playing good music and don't try to 'impress' with gimicks

It will pay off to just play good music
Yea its not about what you look like.
Just play Well.

Also, move about a bit, don't just stand on your side of the stage and stare at your fretboard.

But if you do want to do it. i think everythings been mentioned
- change strap buttons
- Flip/new nut
- Flip pickups if you want the same tone as it was before.

Just checking, if your buying a cheap strat copy, are you keeping the pickups stock? because this seems kinda pointless if you are, if your buying a strat copy to 'do up' then flip it left handed, i can see your point, but simply buying a strat copy to flip, it'll sound crap and you might as well use your normal guitar

Alternatively, you could just buy a left handed neck for a reversed headstock and keep the body the same
Pretty sure they've already done this. By they I mean Fender. It was mass-produced....
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
why not just get a reverse headstock? essentially a similar look, except the guitar doesn't fall off your knee when your sat down because of the contour, and you dont need to change anything else. otherwise . . . go ahead (although i wouldn't bother changing the pickups - there still just picking up vibrations whichever way round they are)
I saw a dude play with his crotchstick once. It was pretty intense. Didn't sound good at all... but still he was playing with his package lol.

If you can pull that off you might just be able to translate sexual feeling into music?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Yeah, Fender already did this. A few years back they produced a Jimi Hendrix signature Strat which was exactly what you're talking about.
Hi, I'm Peter
Copy ZZ Top instead of Hendrix.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Just do a facemelting sweep-tapping solo in Phrygian if you want to impress.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
To confirm what everyone else said, yeah, Fender did this already. Think it's called the Monterey Strat or something.

Actually, it's not, but here it is anyway: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-60s-Reverse-Special-Strat?sku=512595
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
To confirm what everyone else said, yeah, Fender did this already. Think it's called the Monterey Strat or something.

Actually, it's not, but here it is anyway: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-60s-Reverse-Special-Strat?sku=512595

Thats just a reverse headstock
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
Quote by frusciante_funk
kk, sweet... umm im just wanting to do it just so itl look different and not just be the same as everyone else... try impress the judges sort of thing... is there nething else i need to change?.... oh yea im gonna buy a cheap strat copy.. and completly strip it down and ****.. sand and new paint etc..

It's not going to impress anyone, they'll just think you're a tosser.

Just turn up with a decent guitar and play it well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TomR
Yea its not about what you look like.
Just play Well.

Also, move about a bit, don't just stand on your side of the stage and stare at your fretboard.

But if you do want to do it. i think everythings been mentioned
- change strap buttons
- Flip/new nut
- Flip pickups if you want the same tone as it was before.

Just checking, if your buying a cheap strat copy, are you keeping the pickups stock? because this seems kinda pointless if you are, if your buying a strat copy to 'do up' then flip it left handed, i can see your point, but simply buying a strat copy to flip, it'll sound crap and you might as well use your normal guitar

Alternatively, you could just buy a left handed neck for a reversed headstock and keep the body the same

you do relise that the pickups are exactly the same from top to bottom lol theres no differnce so u will not need to do this
there is a difference if the pickups have staggered magnets. but Jimi didn't flip them, that was a part of his sound.
strat player forever.
fender Japan is doing a limited run on hendrix signature(production stop this year)
http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/ikebe/0000035738.html

but I suggest you to get a strat with reversed headstock instead if you want the look.
http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/ikebe/0000068806.html

any1 here tried the hendrix sig? I heard some ppl said they sounds different than ordinary strat and the sig got a high review pts on harmony central.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
I don't understand what you are talking about lol. The only thing you said that makes sense to me is maybe he would have to re-drill the strap holes. A bridge pickup will still be a bridge pickup when the guitar is turned upside down, a new nut? why not take the nut out and turn it upside down

also @ ts you're best not to copy the way hendrix has his guitar, if you really like hendrix, learn to play like him without ripping off his ideas. Play his songs and add you own spin on them (after you get good of course)

1.He doesnt mean swtich the neck and bridge he means swithc the bridge and neck upside down so the strings line up the same other wise it won't sound the same.
2.The nut on my guitars are not symetrical and could not be turned upsidedown. Perhaps his is the same
To the T.S. dont let people talk you out of it if you feel like it would be fun to you. Maybe you just feel like doing a project nothing wrong with that.
basically, just flip it over, redo the strap buttons, and get a new nut.

cool idea, but if u really want to impress the judges, do it with playing skill (however im not sayin u shouldnt do this, go ahead if u want to)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
It will make you look like a fool. An arrogant one. I bet one of them will be coughing *WANNABE*. Besides you shoulden't be spending your time here asking how you can be hendrix junior mini. But instead be practicing a kickass solo which will leave the judges blinded by total überness.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
^honestly...

TS, if u do this, use the guitar for one or two songs, the walk over, pick up ur best guitar, and kick a**

a strat copy wont sound great anyway...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I don't see why everyone is so ageanst this. There's 2 EVH Frankenstrat builds on the front page and no ones been moaning at them for copying Eddie.

It would be fun to try but might be a bit weird to play. But yer, won't make you sound like Hendrix, but craploads of practice will.
The Arsenal:

88/89 Fender HM Strat
Epiphone Valve Jr

Lag Winter series acoustic

Hohner Marine Band harmonica
Fender actually did what youre thinking of, the woodstock tribute guitar was a whole left-handed guitar strung righty, not just a reverse headstock. I own one, and it plays sick. As for the contour on your lap, works perfectly fine, nothing is different about playing it. I say go ahead with it. Theres always one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-FENDER-STRATOCASTER-JIMI-HENDRIX-SIGNATURE-STRAT_W0QQitemZ320258737864QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem