I've been an Ernie Ball user all my guitaring life (super slinky ftw), and I'm considering giving Elixir strings a try. Are they worth the extra cost?
It's girls and spaghetti... We love girls and spaghetti!
Quote by Topstring
I've been an Ernie Ball user all my guitaring life (super slinky ftw), and I'm considering giving Elixir strings a try. Are they worth the extra cost?

I think so. I change them nearly as often as I used to change my Gibson Brite Wires, but they feel playable right up til you change them which is great.
They can not take a beating!!! I used them for a little while but they kept breaking on me, so I went back to D'Addario. It could be that I'm just really rough on my guitars.
If you are using an electric, don't waste your money on Elixers. The money saved by not having to change strings is not worth the loss in tone. I would just stick with Ernie Balls or other strings that sound nice right out of the box.
They do break alot at least for some they do. Mine broke constantly. So lost all value as I had to buy 2 sets at a time so I had replacements. For the price of 3 sets of elixers I can get a 10 pack of ddarrios. And the ddarrios dont break for me.
I played some of my friends' guitars with them on it....but i didnt like them, and i broke a set within a half an hour. I now use Boomers......bright tone, and they never break on me. that, and they last quite a while.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

For electrics, no.

For acoustics, yes.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I really dont know what you guys are talking about, i couldnt break my elixir strings if i wanted too. In fact, ive been trying to break them recently so i can put new ones on. I have 10's and maybe you guys were using 9's. They are a great buy imo, ive had mine on for going on a year and i used to change my strings every 4-6 months or so. So really they saved me money.

They really dont loss their tone, at least mine havent i can i tell that they're ready to go.

The only thing i dont like is when i put on a new set, they feel almost slimey but that goes away in about 2 hours worth of playing. I would definately try them.
I think they're reasonable strings but for the same price you can get 24 carat gold-plated Optima strings. They last quite a bit longer than nickel but sound better than Elixirs. Make sure you get a gauge higher than usual though, they're ludicrously low-tension.

I personally use GHS Burnished Nickels, and I only have to change them every 4-5 gigs
It really depends on the player, or simply luck. I pick softly and they last ages, without any rust, and they slide easy too. However, my other guitar buddy, is a aggresive metal head, and they don't last as long. Not much evidence that it's true, but hey, ive heard Very mixed reviews.

I say try them, to see if they suit you. If they do, they're worth every penny.
i personally love them. they feel great. they sound great. and last for-freaking-ever. i was able to have a set on my strat for almost three months before i needed an upgrade. were they perfect? no, but they still sounded and felt great for three freaking months of playing for at least 30mins a day. now, the GHS strings i have now already need replacing and i've ahd them about a month
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
they tend to go for a long time without breaking, but they sound lifeless as soon as you put them on the guitar, and I hate the way they feel, so I'm gonna say they wouldn't be worth it even if they didn't cost twice as much as regular strings.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
they tend to go for a long time without breaking, but they sound lifeless as soon as you put them on the guitar, and I hate the way they feel, so I'm gonna say they wouldn't be worth it even if they didn't cost twice as much as regular strings.

I have to disagree with you here, mine sound brill.
I love elixirs, they are what i use, try a set, they last long and sound and feel good, if ya dont like em its no big deal, some ppl dont like the feel of them more than anything

get the nanoweb ones tho imo
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Nope...for 3 times as much money, you get a string that lasts 3 times as long. Or you could buy 3 packs of any other solid sounding string. I mean, if you're lazy and don't like changing strings, then maybe. But changing strings takes what, 10 minutes?? I'll stick with DR strings
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
i've been using them for about a year now and i really like them. on my Les Paul now i've had the same pair of strings on for a good 3 months and they're still as playable as they were when i first put them on and i play pretty much everyday.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Bloodshed
Nope...for 3 times as much money, you get a string that lasts 3 times as long. Or you could buy 3 packs of any other solid sounding string. I mean, if you're lazy and don't like changing strings, then maybe. But changing strings takes what, 10 minutes?? I'll stick with DR strings

I love DRs too. They are cheap, strong, and made in the usa. I bought 5 packs a while ago and I haven't gone though the 2nd set yet.

Elixers are amazing for acoustic guitars though.
They're my favorite strings by far that I've tried yet. I use them almost every time, but sometimes when you hear a UGer raving about a particular string set I feel compelled to try them out. I have still been liking Elixir the best
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I think they really worth the pricetag. Had a few before and the only impression I had from them was quality and solid. Hell, the strings don't even rust as fast as my current Gibson Pure LEs Paul strings.
Quote by FacingUsAll
For electrics, no.

For acoustics, yes.

Yup.

And for bass, absolutely must-have imo.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I would much rather have 2 sets of my trusty Ernie Ball Skinny top Heavy Bottom sets than 1 elixir.

Not a fan of the tone I get on these, and hate how the coating flakes off
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
Quote by Sid McCall
Yup.

And for bass, absolutely must-have imo.

QFT. I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys for my guitars but my bass is always strung up with Elixirs.
Jackson DKMG with Dimarzio Evo2's
Squier Strat

Vox AD50VT-212

Schecter Stilletto Elite-4

Acoustic B200

Change of Season

fuzzyDXMG=GREAT buyer/trader, easy to deal with.
1. They are more expensive
2. They break faster
3. Tone is lost from the "protective covering"

Keep using Slinkies or D'Addarios.
Quote by FacingUsAll
For electrics, no.

For acoustics, yes.

+1

i use them on all of my acoustics, and i love them!!
but i never really liked them on electrics

btw i have never been able to break one yet, they always last until i get a new set (but again i use them for acoustics, Not electrics)
Last edited by JessMess at May 22, 2008,