ok, i'm just about ready to start ordering the parts for my first electric guitar build, so as yet, this probably wont be of critical importance to me, but i was wondering - what are some of the things that can be done to make an everage guitar build something very very special?

or to put it another way, what is the difference between say a fender american strat and a custom shop strat - i know certain parts are different, but that cant make that vast of a difference surely?

what are some of the things that you can do that will make a guitar just that little bit better?
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
the best part about making or coustimizing a guitar is you can do what ever you want. the differences between costum shop strats and standerd american strats are small things. but here are some things you want to think of when building your guitar

what do you plan on making? a les paul style? strat? check out saga kits. there the basic kits and you can build from there http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/products.asp?CategoryID=4&FamilyID=2&BrandID=77

the elctronics suck but you can switch them out. do you want active pickups or passive? humbuckers, single coil, lipstick pickups? what kind of tuners? tremelo or hard tail? locking tuners? there are so many things that can go into them its all up to you. but if your just starting out i recommend buying a body. if you have woodshop skills then build one. but buy the neck. iv been working in woodshops for years and iv built over 50 necks. and only 3 are playable to my standards. good luck! let me kno if you have any more questions
I'll be building from scratch for the first time, as i'd like to have a do at it - Ive read a lot of info, ive ordered a book about it which i'll be reading multiple times before i start, and i'll then give it a go (probably with the book close by!)

but i was just wondering what it was that gave custom guitars that magic that other guitars dont have
Quote by CobenBlack

but i was just wondering what it was that gave custom guitars that magic that other guitars dont have

It's a workmanship and selection thing. By selection that mostly means like hand selected products like woods, tools, finishes, etc. The workmanship is how the luthier can put them together to make an instrument. Woods actually affect the tone of the guitar, even electrics, so the shape is also crucial, volume and mass are important as well as grain position and alignment of the wood. It takes master skill, like the guy said before, this post, it's a struggle just to carve a playable neck.

I dunno.. there's lots of stuff
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
If it's your very first first time, you are not going to get amazing results, simply because this is a learned trait. You don't learn it from a book, you learn from experience. (The book helps though ) With that said, there's no reason you can't make a really great guitar!

The things (to me) that stand out on really good guitars are

1: Playability, good action? Frets Properly Dressed? Comfortable to play?
2: Sound, does it sound good for what it's designed to play? You don't want a Gretsch County Gentleman for In Flames, respectively you don't want an Ibanez Jem 777 for Hillary Duff ****.
3: Looks, this is a big one! The finish is the first thing people really see. It can simple or complex, it can be paint, stain, or oil. The most important thing while doing your finish is that you take you're time! The first time I ever painted a guitar, it took like 2 weeks, but now it shines like a mirror!

Most of all, take your time, know what your doing (IE read a book, ask questions), plan ahead, and get the best parts you can. If you follow those 4 rules, you will have a great instrument.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
yeah, i'll do those things - i just always wondered. because people say custom shop as though its some sort of wizardry involved in the making, and i just couldn't work out why - but then ive never played anything more high end than a japanese jackson - but that ticks all the boxes that i have, comfy neck, well dressed frets, well made, never gone wrong, looks great, stays in tune for days, everything i ever really needed - but i didnit pick it up and feel amazing about it or anythin - just thought, ticks the boxes.

seems like ive got a lot to learn till i get to the stage where im a master builder then!