Do you absolutely HAVE to know how to read music in the traditional sense (with the lines and the notes) to become a professional musician? I would REALLY hope not. Because I already have a bunch of people say how very good I am as a musician, and I don't want to screw that up.
Do you really think people on here can be bothered to learn how to actually read music, tabs for the win.
So what you're a retard, but without people like you in the world i wouldn't feel so good about myself.
no , tommy emannuel asked himself the same question and when he asked a teacher to teach him the notes, he laughed and said 'your tommy emmanuel , you don't need to read notes , you already know how to play'
Depends on what kind of professional musician you want to be. If you want to be the type of professional musician that is able to communicate with other musicians, write songs down, and do anything classical or jazz, then yes. If you just want to start a band, play a few hit songs, learn 4 or 4 chords and tour the world, then no.
Quote by stuey22
Depends on what kind of professional musician you want to be. If you want to be the type of professional musician that is able to communicate with other musicians, write songs down, and do anything classical or jazz, then yes. If you just want to start a band, play a few hit songs, learn 4 or 4 chords and tour the world, then no.

+1.
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
it's not compulsory, but i've start learning what the notes on the 6 strings look like on the score and i feel kinda proud of myself.
Quote by Lance Verinto
You shouldn't consider yourself a musician unless you can read notation.

w tf? am i reading this right?
the ones who can't read music notes aren't musicians? :s
i would say no, if u have a good pair of ears, then u shouldnt need to be able to read music to jam with other instruments
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Any sort of proffesional musician outside of 'rock band'? Yes.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Aha, it isn't that hard to learn. In the space of a year, i've gone from hopeless to pretty alright at it.
well, you don't have to, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't, it's not hard and you should be able to get the basics down in like a day
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well this makes me feel a lot better. I've been told that I'm really good and for some reason I sometimes doubt myself. I have given some thought to my predicament and have decided that I will learn to read music in the traditional sense. Thank you all again for your help.

LET THE MUSIC FREE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!
Nice....

Thanking everyone 5 MONTHS later.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Lance Verinto
You shouldn't consider yourself a musician unless you can read notation.

This.

I have a great ear, and that's how my family taught me at first. By ear. But then I realized that I will go nowhere playing like that, and took up trumpet as well, which taught me to read music. It then transferred over guitar, and now I take guitar lessons. You really need to learn to read music if you want to go anywhere.

Quote by BigDrK
Do you absolutely HAVE to know how to read music in the traditional sense (with the lines and the notes) to become a professional musician? I would REALLY hope not. Because I already have a bunch of people say how very good I am as a musician, and I don't want to screw that up.

I would say no if you plan on being in a band but yes if you want to do session work, become a producer or film scoring type.

Honestly, and I tell you this as someone who made a +good+ living as a studio owner for a while - most of your big money will come from writing jingles, corporate music and from arranging.

If you can write out parts for a session then you don't have to pay an arranger (string and horn players usually require parts to be written out. Instead of paying an arranger you pay yourself the money.

If you can walk into a session and play the part you're handed you'll get called more.

Anytime you want to work with other serious musicians you will need to be able to read.
What senorsmiley said.

Even if you have a good ear, other musician's maybe not.

If you write something and you want 10 random people playing it, then you can just write ur music down and give it to 10 people, and they can play it on the spot. If you go by learning them 1 by 1 how to play it; it will cost time.

Time = money..

your money..

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??