why you asking ug? :S if they feel fine to you dude, for example not too floppy, then why bother, if they feel wrong then go up a guage

its mostly personal prefereance theres not much someone elses opinion can do for you
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by sajuuk
why you asking ug? :S if they feel fine to you dude, for example not too floppy, then why bother, if they feel wrong then go up a guage

its mostly personal prefereance theres not much someone elses opinion can do for you

I didnt know if anything would change... like does tone change? or is it more playable? i guess if its just personal preference than this thread is useless... but I just didnt know if it was advisable to do this
the tone isnt affected massively, at most you might get a slightly sharper sound with heavily distorted stuff if you up the guage but then again the same is true for any other tuning and its hardly a massive difference
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
sorry, i kno im not answering this guys question, but i was kinda wonderin the same thing. i switch between standard and drop d and for the most part just play punk. is there a certain guage i should use or does it not make a big difference?
The most dramatic change you will see is in playability. If you don't find the strings to be too floppy and feel comfortable playing at that tuning with the string you have, there really isn't any need. A change to a higher guage would increase the tension, making the strings less floppy feeling. There may be a slight increase in sustain as well, so if you find your notes dying out quick, a string change might help with that.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
if your regularly switching between drop D and and standard then the strings your using would probs be best, if you stick to drop D on a permanent basis though then a hybrid string set would be better
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC