I know quite a fair bit about electric guitars but almost nothing about acoustic. There are some of questions I want to ask in hope for better understanding ...

1. What is the most common neck scale length?
2. Does it make a different if the fingerboard was mahogany or rosewood?
3. If I wanted to have a fairly 'quiet' acoustic guitar. Would it help with thinner body or a sound hole cover?
4. I have an acoustic at home but for some reason the string tension feels much harder than other acoustic I tried at the store. What can it be?
5. I know electric guitar sound quality is depends on the pickup mostly. What makes an acoustic guitar sound good?
6. Is there any specific name for guitar with thinner body?
7. If possible please recommend me one at price range around 300~400 USD
2. Yeah, which you prefer, and it changes tone
3. play it quietly? lol.
5. wood type and quality
1. 20 frets
2. little bit
3. yea the smaller the body the less sound you will get out of it
but i wouldnt go n get a small body just for that .. wat will happen when u wanna play loud
4. the string gauges are different .. your are probably med and the ones at the store is probably lights or extra lights
5.different woods sound different and the quality of the woods is wat makes the guitar sound good
6. folk style body
7.yamaha fg720s $259.00
1. What is the most common neck scale length?
im not completely sure about scale length, but the most common in somewhere in between 24-26 if im not mistaken.

2. Does it make a different if the fingerboard was mahogany or rosewood?
i find that the fretboard material doesnt make as big of a difference in acoustic guitars as in electric guitars. my A&L has a rosewood fretboard and my Martin has Micarta(its not even wood) and i honestly cant tell a difference in terms of feel. the fretboard plays a small role in tone, but not enough for me to care that my fretboard isnt made of wood. Micarta also lasts longer than wood.

3. If I wanted to have a fairly 'quiet' acoustic guitar. Would it help with thinner body or a sound hole cover?
a thinner body like an OM or 000 type body is usually, but not always quieter than larger bodied guitars. in an acoustic guitar, volume is actually something usually sought after because it gives you a bit more variety. quiet guitars are limited to a certain volume, a loud guitar can be quiet or loud when needed. manufacturers usually try to make acoustics louder and with better projection, although it's not always a main priority. Guitars of the same body type may still differ in volume and projection, so take note of that.

a sound hole cover will kill off most of the sound from the guitar, but sometimes its actually does it so well that you can barely hear the guitar anymore.

4. I have an acoustic at home but for some reason the string tension feels much harder than other acoustic I tried at the store. What can it be?
It could be that your acoustic guitar has really high action(string height from the neck). this can be easily adjusted with a setup at your local music store. another reasion could be that you have thicker guage strings on your guitar than the acoustic guitar at the store.

5. I know electric guitar sound quality is depends on the pickup mostly. What makes an acoustic guitar sound good?
if you mean an acoustic guitar projection acoustically, then there are a few factors:
1. the bracing pattern of the guitar. acoustic guitars need structural support in order to hold the 150-200lbs of pull exerted by the strings. the patterns of these bracings which sit under the top of the guitar largely(and arguably mostly as well) determine the sound of the guitar.
2. the type of wood is also quite a large factor as well. woods are important, but the build and bracing pattern of the guitar is more important. two guitars may be made of the same top and side/back material, but they could sound completely different because of the bracing patterns.

if you mean an acoustic guitar plugged in... then the pickup is definitely a large factor as well. cheap pickups make guitars sound unclear and unlike the actual guitar when played acoustically, whereas good pickups will try to stay true to the sound of the actual guitar and sometimes come quite close.

6. Is there any specific name for guitar with thinner body?
Auditorium, Orchestra, Parlour. I previously stated OM and 000 bodies before. these are just the usual codes we give auditorium and orchestra bodied guitars.

7. If possible please recommend me one at price range around 300~400 USD
Brands to look out for are... Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Norman, Simon & Patrick, Takamine, Alvarez, Washburn, and Yamaha. there are a few other good brands, but i just cant think of them now.

Brands to beware of because they sometimes have suspect quality. although, if you find a good one, will be just fine. Ibanez and Ovation.

EDIT: phew, that was a long type i hope all that info helps you.
Quote by hminh87
You're my angel, mate

One more question: Cutaway! How does it effect the sound? I know most acoustic pieces out there will never go above the 12 frets but I like the look of it. Is it worth it?

you said to beware of Ibanez. What about this one?
http://guitare.playback-europe.com/ibanez-ew20ase-nt-10229.html
and this:
http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_pf60secent.htm

Cutaways are mostly personal preference, really. Whether or not it's worth it is just up to if you like them or not. They do have a slight effect on the tone, but you wont notice it unless you play it against the same guitar without a cutaway. A cutaway takes slightly away from the fullness of the tone.

I would avoid that first one for sure. The Exotic wood series guitars look good, but are made with soso materials. With Ibanez, just don't buy them without trying them. You can probably find an okay one if you try it first. You just have to be careful of shoddy workmanship is all.
im not an acoustic guitar guru... but i have ibanez aeg10 and i really like it, sounds and plays good, but then, like the other guy said its all about personal preference
Quote by captivate
Cutaways are mostly personal preference, really. Whether or not it's worth it is just up to if you like them or not. They do have a slight effect on the tone, but you wont notice it unless you play it against the same guitar without a cutaway. A cutaway takes slightly away from the fullness of the tone.

I would avoid that first one for sure. The Exotic wood series guitars look good, but are made with soso materials. With Ibanez, just don't buy them without trying them. You can probably find an okay one if you try it first. You just have to be careful of shoddy workmanship is all.

All good info.
The thing about Ibanez's is for their acoustics they have crappy quality control. WIth their fancier looking guitars (eg that Exotica one) they all look pretty but notice how none of the wood is solid? I have yet to hear a guitar that sounds good using a laminate top and I think most people here will agree with me. If your a beginner and can't tell the difference, then I'd still be looking out for a solid top because eventually you will be able to tell the difference, i made that mistake.
Still on the topic of Ibanez's. The second one you posted looks OK, but theres a lot better stuff out there for the money. Look at brands like Alvarez and Takamine.

With the guitars with thinner bodies. There are some models that are really really thin. Like similar thickness to an electric guitar type thing. They're called thinlines and they sound like crap in my opinion. Very think and tinny sounding.