I recently bought a guitar and i have been messing about with the whammy bar a lot, but now when i pull it back its not going as far as it used to. This started happening after i re tuned it. Anyone know the problem and how to fix it?

The guitar is an Ibanez RG370DX, if that helps

thanks
Is the bridge level with the body? It should sit like Position I on the following wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Rose
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
What happened was the high E string burst and i restrung it, and then changed the tunning down to drop D. I'm not sure if i changed the gauge as it still had the strings on it from the guitar shop. It seems that i can pull the whammy bar forward a lot more, so i think i have somehow changed where it pivots from...
Quote by Lou108
It doesn't seem level, it is a little lower in at the end...

That's why you can't move it as far.

Did you change string guages?

You'll need to equalize the tension between the strings and the springs in the back in order to balance out the bridge.

In your case, you'll need to loosen the screws that hold the springs to the body, alowing the strings to pull the bridge a little more out of the cavity.

I'm not familiar with that particular guitar. What kind of bridge is it? I may be able to find some photos that can help point out what I'm talking about.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
the standard strings from shops are usually .09's so that i think would make the high E string .09 (as in the string itself not the whole set) ,,, so what guage did you replace it with? if it was any higher it could well be stopping gthye trem going back as far as it should
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Its an Edge III bridge, and it seems to be going further back each time a string breaks...

I replaced it with .09 so it must have been the same as the one before
Hakael is right I think! When you tuned down you loosened the tension on trhe strings overall which meant the tension from the tremolo springs would pull back the bridge more. As he mentions you can compensate for this by adjusting springs and reducing spring tension. Whenever you change string guages or tuning the following will be affected:
Truss rod's affect on neck relief, and hence string height as well,
Intonation will change especially with gauge changes and of course tremolo bridge setup.
:-)
Awesome, thanks for the help. It is much appreciated

just one more thing, how is it i adjust the springs?
(i really don't know what i am doing when it comes to guitars )
I haven't been able to find a photo, but hope this can help.

If you remove the back plate of the guitar, and have the neck pointing to your left, you should see what looks to be your tremolo block on the right side of the cavity. From the block are a number of springs. The springs are anchored to a metal piece on the left side of the cavity (I'm going by Floyd Rose bridges by the way, most floating tremolo's should be quite similar). The small metal piece that the springs are attached to is achored to the guitar by two screws, that go from the metal piece, into the guitar body itself on the left. Adjusting those screws (tightening or loosening) moves the metal piece slightly to the left or right, increasing or decreasing the tension of the springs.

In your case, you'll want to loosen the springs (both equally) a little bit, allowing the strings to be able to pull the bridge up out of the cavity a little, to lay flat with the body.

As you make an adjustment on the springs, be sure to retune the guitar after each adjustment.

Essentially what you're trying to do is balance the tension between the springs and the strings so that the bridge lays flat and even with the body.

If you have any further questions, let me know and I'll try my best to help.
Quote by Lou108
Awesome, thanks for the help. It is much appreciated

just one more thing, how is it i adjust the springs?
(i really don't know what i am doing when it comes to guitars )

If you want to learn more I highly recommend Dan Erlewine's book... Guitar Player Repair Guide (2nd Edition)! It costs around 30.00 - 40.00 but he's not only the Guitar Player Magazine's Tech, he also built Albert King's guitar and repairs many pro's instruments as well. I worked in a music store many years ago and learned some basics but this book taught me a lot. He's also affiliated with Steward MacDonald (STEWMAC.COM) and they sell everythign for guitar building, repairs and mods. Check them out.