i'm doing steve vai's touching tongues.
there's this passage where i hit the high E 23rd fret (Eb) and octave-up with the whammy.
the sound is not smooth but "clipped" and distorted so it hurts my ears even if the volume is not very loud.
what can i do to cure this problem?
Quote by The Atomic Ass
Do you have a distortion pedal before the Whammy? If so, I'd move it to after the Whammy.

no.
guitar - wah - whammy - compressor - noise suppressor - amp
i'm not using nu-metal high gain on my amp either.
unlike the higher notes, the lower notes don't distort.
the Whammy IV tends to do this, I think Vai (and many other people famous for using the whammy) uses a WH-1 or a whammy II which don't do that and are all around better pedals IMO.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Why is it so often that the older pedals are better than newer ones? Sure they might have less features in some cases, but why are they better? Have they cut expenses using cheaper parts or what?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Why is it so often that the older pedals are better than newer ones? Sure they might have less features in some cases, but why are they better? Have they cut expenses using cheaper parts or what?

yeah pretty much, or they attempt to improve the original design by adding new features, which somehow screws up the existing ones.

Last.fm
It's broken. Give it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
it could be your amp possibly, but the WH-4 is known to clip when taken to extremes.

Last.fm