Hello,

About 2 weeks ago my father gave me an iMac which was rather nice I thought, until the bloody thing broke. I'd never used Mac OS before but found it pretty swell. Anyway the other day I got a message saying I had to shut the machine down (which I did) and now it refuses to boot. It had a dead logic board replaced about 6 months ago under warranty but warranty has now expired.

When I turn it on there is no startup chime but a green light in the bottom right hand corner stays on and the screen just stays black. Looking on google it may be a dead battery, and asking on Mac forums didn't help as they were all pretentious fucks .

Shot in the dark on a guitar forum I know but anyone with any ideas who can help, then it would be much appreciated

Cheers,
Quote by AuroraBorealis
When I turn it on there is no startup chime but a green light in the bottom right hand corner stays on and the screen just stays black. Looking on google it may be a dead battery, and asking on Mac forums didn't help as they were all pretentious fucks .

Isn't there a support center you can call?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Wait, you said it may be a dead battery, yet it's an iMac...do you mean a Macbook? It may be an accidentally disconnected or fried monitor wire...in any case, you should have an Apple tech look at it.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by AuroraBorealis
Hello,

About 2 weeks ago my father gave me an iMac which was rather nice I thought, until the bloody thing broke. I'd never used Mac OS before but found it pretty swell. Anyway the other day I got a message saying I had to shut the machine down (which I did) and now it refuses to boot. It had a dead logic board replaced about 6 months ago under warranty but warranty has now expired.

Shot in the dark on a guitar forum I know but anyone with any ideas who can help, then it would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Yeah, the Apple forum is useless...

And, I don't have any advice to offer.
sup?
Its coz u use a PC too much. U must have infected it. And pc users are worse
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Wait, you said it may be a dead battery, yet it's an iMac...do you mean a Macbook? It may be an accidentally disconnected or fried monitor wire...in any case, you should have an Apple tech look at it.

It's a 2GHz intel based iMac - the white plastic ones with the aluminum base. I'm prety sure there's a battery in there, think i'll just dismantle it and see what I find.

Apple technical support is based in India and I'm not paying £6 an hour to listen to some arse read a script in pigeon English then tell me it will need to be sent away for an eternity.
Quote by slogankid1

+1
Quote by AuroraBorealis
It's a 2GHz intel based iMac - the white plastic ones with the aluminum base. I'm prety sure there's a battery in there, think i'll just dismantle it and see what I find.

Apple technical support is based in India and I'm not paying £6 an hour to listen to some arse read a script in pigeon English then tell me it will need to be sent away for an eternity.

India is the worst thing to ever happen to tech support.
Quote by slogankid1

If you're going to make a lame crack at mocking PC users then at least use correct grammar. You won't be a complete fuckwit then.

Oh, and I'm not taking a defensive PC user stance, I use a Mac, you're just an ignorant arse. (:
Quote by AuroraBorealis

It plugs into the wall
nope, no battery, i have the same iMac as you.

try resetting the pram and nvram (no idea how to do this, but i've heard it works in these kinds of situations) google it.
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.
yea all computers have an internal battery for the CMOS.

Anyhow even if that was dead it should still boot, your date & time will always be wrong though. Might cause some other problems on macs but generally it should boot with a dead battery.
If you're going to make a lame crack at mocking PC users then at least use correct grammar. You won't be a complete fuckwit then.

Oh, and I'm not taking a defensive PC user stance, I use a Mac, you're just an ignorant arse. (:

It was the bad grammar that made it funny...
Quote by thrashmetal101
nope, no battery, i have the same iMac as you.

try resetting the pram and nvram (no idea how to do this, but i've heard it works in these kinds of situations) google it.

Even though I am very new to Macs I am certain there's a battery in there, well there has to be
Quote by AuroraBorealis
Even though I am very new to Macs I am certain there's a battery in there, well there has to be

yeah, a very small battery, but even if it was dead, it would still boot. the battery is (most likely) not your problem.
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.
Quote by bequickorbedead
It was the bad grammar that made it funny...

I'm to achy and filled with hatred towards my school to find anything funny.

-.-
Bring it to your local Apple store.

They have this support area called the "genius bar" with people that will fix your Mac for you.

Please correct the grammar bar the last sentance as it was in direct response to something some1 said. Oh yeah ur penis looks very small in ur avi
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Quote by sixhundredsix
Bring it to your local Apple store.

They have this support area called the "genius bar" with people that will fix your Mac for you.

That was the next plan, problem is i'm 50odd miles from the nearest one.

Anyway I just took the RAM chips out and swapped them over (into different slots) and the bloody thing is working again.
I know the solution to your problem:

Get a Mac!

or not
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by slogankid1
Please correct the grammar bar the last sentance as it was in direct response to something some1 said. Oh yeah ur penis looks very small in ur avi

Fellas, please! Don't fight!

Us Mac users need to stick together!