Seriously.....in the same price range, there are some killer combos out. Or go used if you "must" have a stack. And no matter what any one tells you, you dont need a half stack. I've owned various stacks through the years, and now I'm so happy I don't have to haul them around anymore
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Seriously.....in the same price range, there are some killer combos out. Or go used if you "must" have a stack. And no matter what any one tells you, you dont need a half stack. I've owned various stacks through the years, and now I'm so happy I don't have to haul them around anymore

Combo's are heavier and a bigger pain in the arse to haul around with than a head and a cab. Except if you talk about 1*12 combo's, but these things dont sound very good imo.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Plus with a half stack its easier to mix & match.
If you get a Marshall combo, you're getting whatever speakers Marshall wants in there, not what you want, unless you switch out the speakers, but then you might aswell just buy a halfstack. Find a head you like and try it with some different cabs.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by LP_CL
Combo's are heavier and a bigger pain in the arse to haul around with than a head and a cab. Except if you talk about 1*12 combo's, but these things dont sound very good imo.

Not all 1x12's sound like your Peavey Bandit
Quote by LP_CL

Heavier, maybe by itself. But a stack takes up more space. If you are carrying by yourself, it takes two trips. In a car it takes up more real estate.....Just trust me, I am more than happy to carry 95 lbs that can fit in my trunk, over two separate things that weigh 45 and 65 lbs separately, but take up my entire back seat. There honestly not many advantages to a stack at all, except for maybe covering the stage slightly better. Put your combo on top of a road case, and if your sound guy is good, it will make zero difference
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Both combo's and amps have their pluses and minuses...

Just be sure you're aware of what they are, and if you're willing to deal with the inherent restrictions of each type.

Just be aware, that for the cost of a half-stack, you can usually get a much better amp tone-wise, as a combo. Also, no one ever really NEEDS a halfstack for gigging, unless you're doing stadiums. Most venue's will be mic'd, and even some of the smaller amps can get mic'd to be heard well enough through a band (depending on the sound guy and equipment).
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by LP_CL

lol.
well i was asked to be in a band, so they said i needed atleast a halfstack, since they put on shows and what not. so yeah, i just wanted to know if this amp is worth buying.
^ if they're making you get a **** halfstack, they only care about appearances. How much do you have to spend?
lol, they said you at least need a half stack?

Are they deaf or does the drummer look like a muppet?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by steve.
and i'm looking at a randall rx120rhs. would you recemend this amp?

I'm a sixteen year old in my first band and I have this amp. For a new solid state half stack in the $600 range, yeah it's decent. Beats the MG series. But listen to these other people. For that price you could get a MUCH better sounding tube combo amp. I regret not buying one to this day. But if you have to get a half stack, yeah it's pretty good IMO (keep in mind I've only been playing a few years) but you could get a nicer one used.

TUBE AMP!!!
Quote by Horlicks
Not all 1x12's sound like your Peavey Bandit

Im glad about that! Not that the bandit is THAT bad, but i know what you mean.
What i ment is, that a 1*12 sounds very thin, compared to a 2*12 or a 4*12. It doesnt have that same oomph, it doesnt roar, it sounds a bit tight.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by steve.
well i was asked to be in a band, so they said i needed atleast a halfstack, since they put on shows and what not. so yeah, i just wanted to know if this amp is worth buying.

They clearly have not clue what they're talking about. They want you to get a halfstack, yet I'll bet none of them own a van! More speakers does not equal more volume, and you'll find small combos are far more common on the local/national circuits since there's no need for a stack these days.

That aside, the cheapest head worth looking at is the Peavey Valveking, get one with an Avatar cab (NOT the VK cab!) and you'll have a brilliant rock rig. However you're better off with a smallish combo (or a head+2x12 cab) for the time being, your bandmates sound like kids to me so there's no way you'll be able to transport a 4x12.
Question: Is a 2x12 the same volume as a 4x12 coming from a 50 watt tube head.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
^If they're both fitted with the same speakers, yes. The tone will be slightly different and you may percieve more bass, but the overall volume will be the same.
Actually no, with 4 speakers you will be pushing more air than with 2 speakers. It is only minimal loss of volume since you will never turn the volume past 6 in any situation.
i don't understand why people jump to conclusions and think i'm a 12 year old. "you won't be able to transport a 4x12" well, why not? i do drive,
Quote by steve.
i don't understand why people jump to conclusions and think i'm a 12 year old. "you won't be able to transport a 4x12" well, why not? i do drive,

people just come off that way when they say they want a cheap halfstack. Don't take it personally. But buying a cheap halfstack is just not rational, okay? This band that says you HAVE to have AT LEAST a half stack sounds kind of lame. Especially if they don't even care what kind of half stack as long as it is a half stack. My suggestion to you. Buy a nice head and a 1x12 cab. I am pretty sure this will be plenty for you. I own an ac15 and with 15 watts through a 12" speaker, I can't even get it close to full volume without feeling like my ears are going to explode. And it is plentyyyy loud with drums too. If you are still skeptical, then get a 2x12 cab. But if I were you I would either get a combo or a tube head with a 1x12 cab to start and you can always buy a bigger cab in the future as needed.

If this band still says you HAVE to have AT LEAST a half stack, then ditch them. They wont do anything good for you except waste your money.

I hope this is motivational and enlightening for you and you think about this long and hard. Yeah a 1x12 or 2x12 doesn't look as monstrous as a half stack but who cares! would you rather look cool and sound awful or look humble and sound awesome. Listen to that guy that says he regrets getting the stack over a combo.
I'm going to post links to a few combos in that price range that will sound vastly better than any halfstack in that range.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOX-AC15CC1-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-213205-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BUG-6260212
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-CRA-V50112-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PEV-00583150-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EPA-BKBC30-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-213203000-LIST

Take a look at those.
With the exception of the Bugera, which is 120w, they are all in the 5-50w range, with 1 or 2 12s.
You do not need more than 30w or 2x12 unless you are playing outside with no PA and the crowd is a football field away from the stage.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
^^ What he said....all of those amps would destroy that stack.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Seriously Listen to these guys they are right. Solid State halfstacks are overpriced and sound thin and fizzy at best. Go for a good Tube Combo. A good tube combo in that price range will be louder than any solid state halfstack. You may even want to consider using a tube combo then an extension cabinet to give the appearance of an amp stack.

If a band says you need a half stack they know Jack s*** about any band situation. It means they aren't well practiced and have never gigged at any respectable/reasonable/established venue. At most gigs you go to there will be PA and a nice guy offering you a mic for you amp (tip: don't offend this guy he has the potential to make you sond legendary or shocking) so a good sound balance can be achieved.

Why don't you ask you band to take a look at this thread and try and get them to understand the disadvantages of a SS half stack. I know you probably want one for the aesthetics however be warned you will get fed up of the poor quality tone very quickly (or at least most people do).

Regards,
Mad
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S