ok, so im just trying to sort out some differences in certain Epiphone guitars.

For the les pauls, i'm just finding out about a Classic model, from my little time of research i understand that the only differences between the CLASSIC and the STANDARD (plain top) is that it has open coil pickups, a carved top, with a pretty design... for the same price as a..say...honey burst.. SURELY, there must be more to the differences, because, i mean, the classic should be the obvious choice between these two (since it resembles the plus top so much), yet i hear nothing about it. price: $449
references:
les paul standard plain top
les paul classic quilt top

Secondly,
in the case of the G400, there is a 1966 limited edition model for $299 and the regular model for $50 extra. both say they have Alnico-humbuckers, so i've been lead to believe that the only difference is aesthetics.
references:
regular G400
1966 G400

would anyone like to help me clear up these matters? thanks =)
On the matter of the Sg's the difference is that the '66 one is a bit faded and not as bright as the regular G-400.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
G-400 alpine white (signed by Coheed & Cambria)
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
^ and has a cool pickguard, heh

k, thanks, just checking if there were any other differences in terms of the sound and such, guess not
Quote by mugen_infinity
^ and has a cool pickguard, heh

k, thanks, just checking if there were any other differences in terms of the sound and such, guess not

Ok pretty much its like the reg. g-400 and the white g-400 thats cheaper by about 40$.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
G-400 alpine white (signed by Coheed & Cambria)
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Classic has alder in the body, the standard doesn't. So, Standard>Classic
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
hm, so is the difference in sound clear as day? or does one have to be picky to spot the difference?
It's an obvious difference in sound. The alder/mahogany mix the Classic has will make the sound much brighter and with less sustain.

Also there's the age. The Classics are old models and haven't been made for years, so any Classic you buy will be at least three years old. If you get a Standard though then it will have probably been made in the last year at most.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ok thanks

well then if anything, i'll choose the standard over classic... thats a disappointment, because the classics look so sweet...and plus tops are out of my league
Quote by oneblackened
Classic has alder in the body, the standard doesn't. So, Standard>Classic

Actually it's the other way around. Standards up until around 2007 may be mahog(mystery wood) or mahog with an alder core, the Classics discontinued 2006 were just maghog. Which is why ads for classic always said "mahogany" while standards have been advertised as mahogany or mahogany/alder. This is the main reason before Classics were discontinued they were $50 more than Standards at the usual places like MF, Zzzsounds, etc.
Quote by Myrdinn
Actually it's the other way around. Standards up until around 2007 may be mahog(mystery wood) or mahog with an alder core, the Classics discontinued 2006 were just maghog. Which is why ads for classic always said "mahogany" while standards have been advertised as mahogany or mahogany/alder. This is the main reason before Classics were discontinued they were $50 more than Standards at the usual places like MF, Zzzsounds, etc.
Classics were mahogany/alder too. The difference is now, new Standards are all-mahogany, while any Classics are old and will still be made with alder, since the Classic was discontinued before Epiphone made the switch over to use just mahogany in the Standard and above range.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.