First off, I have an Ibanez RG170DX and a Zoom G2.1u running into a Marshall MG15CDR. Ok sound till now, thanks to the pedal. But I've saved up a lot of money, and two months ago planned on buying a tube.

Second, I live in India. Since most big companies aren't based here, **** gets shipped in, and thus is a ****load moer expensive. After a LOT of narrowing down, my final three options as it seems is the Laney LC15R, Vox AD50VT and the Roland BC-60 all of which fit tightly into my budget. My budget is Rs 24,000 or $600 USD.

LC15R - It IS pure tube, but is very very small and to me doesn't make sense to buy a amp only slightly bigger than my current for about 5 times the price. The tone is good, but there is only a gain knob (NO VOLUME) so I don't think I can have loud clean tones. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here). I would love it if someone would convince me to the buy this amp. Yet another problem is it's HIGH maintenance.

AD50VT - As it currently stands, this amp seems the most sensible option. It's at a good price, it's a large, loud, decent sounding amp from what I've heard and Vox IS based in India, so customer service will be available.

BC-60 - Just a recommendation from a friend, it's available at one of the shops here. I can't find much about it and any info greatly appreciated. Also it's hybrid (i think).

I play 60% hard rock, 20% blues and classic rock and 10% BR00TAL METALZZ.

Main artists = Metallica, Maiden, Satch, Vai, Floyd, Zeppelin, RHCP, Breaking Benjamin, Lamb of God.

Oh please god help me.
What about the last 10% of your playing?

EDIT: For actual help, I like the Laney LC15; its a solid amp which can handle lots of tones, and I'm fairly sure you can turn up the volume clean (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't played one in a while).

I'm not so fond of the vox, but if you've played it and like it, its your choice, right?

I have no experience with the other amp...
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at May 20, 2008,
Quote by akack

I play 60% hard rock, 20% blues and classic rock and 10% BR00TAL METALZZ.

Main artists = Metallica, Maiden, Satch, Vai, Floyd, Zeppelin, RHCP, Breaking Benjamin, Lamb of God.
Oh please god help me.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but if the main artists u play are Metallica, Maiden and Lamb of God in a list of 9, then surely at least 33.3recouring% of the music you play is metal? While only 22.2recouring% is hard rock, Zeppelin and Floyd
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Those are my favourite bands, the most music I PLAY though is blues and classic rock. I left the 10% for everything else. VERSATILITY NEEDED.
Remember that 15watt tube is a lot louder than 15 watt solid state. Although the LC15R is far more expensive you will be gettin the headroom you pay for!
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
The laney will not be just a widdle bit louder than your SS amp. It will be enough to get over drums and still manage to kill your eardrums.
Should be, although there might be a bit of power-tube overdrive (it depends how loud the drummer is). The amp has decent headroom, it just depends on how clean you want your sound... At a club sort of volume it might not be perfectly clean, so if thats what you're looking for, it might not be perfect.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Quote by akack
I read that the amp is attachable to a cab. Volume problem solved?

It will make your sound "bigger", not louder, but it will help. Get the Laney.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
well i can speak from expereince with the VOX...i've had that amp for over a yr now and it sounds amazing...lately i've been plugging it into a 2x12 cab and it sounds even fuller than it already does...

the variety of tones available on it are nice too...but i would suggest that if you were to look at the valvetronix amps...look at the XL line...its geared towards more of the metal sound...the normal AD50 is great and has a pair of tones like that, but the XL is more metal!

rock on brother!
Quote by akack
Oh please god help me.

You're in the wrong place. Check the religion thread in the Pit. :P
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
i think it comes down to what you want...with the laney, you'll have a great tube amp thats kick ass with one tone...if you like to be able to switch up tones depending on what you are playing musically, i think the VOX is better...but with the right pedals, the laney would be able to do it as well...

the nice thing about the VOX too is the knob on the back that can turn it down to like a 1W amp, or anywhere in between up to the full 50W...and still run the tube hot...max volume with small output

whereas to run the laney the best it'll have to be cranked all the time

each amp is different to different people...try them both on for size...and make your decision
You would be suprised at the volume the Laney can get. I have the LC15R, and i use it to play in my band's practice space. It is LOUD. At volume level 3 i can hear myself properly over the drums and bass guitar.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
But he talks about wanting properly clean cleans, and if you do crank the amp, you lose a bit of that. However, that Laney is loud enough not to have to be cranked for playing with a band.
Quote by XxLloydxX
so then it sounds like it would be a good amp...

we've given ideas and compliments...but the best thing now is to taken these comments...go play the amps...and then let him make the best decision for himself...

or conversely...play them...and ask more questions if necessary
if i were you, i'd try both, then pick the laney. :-)
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Couple issues I've noticed in this thread:

1) An extension cab will, 9/10 times, make the Laney louder AS WELL AS enhance tone.
2) A 15w tube amp is far louder than a 15w SS and probably equal in volume to the Vox.
3) IMO The Vox had pretty abysmal cleans when I tried one next to a VC15...

Get the Laney, of the two. No doubt.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i wasn't all that fussed on the lc15 i tried (i haven't tried the R version though).

I dunno. it's really up to you. tubes generally have better tone, but if it's not aimed at the majority of tones you want...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ oh ok, the laney might be ok then.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?