I am looking to buy my first guitar and just wanted to know wether its best to buy acoustic or electric for a first.

Thanks for any help.
for ease of play and the ability to play more styles to work out what style you want to play... electric.

For stronger foundations when it comes to chords + strumming, acoustic. Plus acoustic is cheaper.

My personal advice is go for an electric.
i would personally go with electric, for the versatility,

you have cleans so you can play and it will sound similar to an acoustic, and you can go distorted and play hard rock and metal and such,

like CobbZ said, it will give you the chance to try several styles to figure out what you want to play
Turquoise Team Beasts!
About the style and so on you guys are right, the electric does have more options. Cool about the acoustic though is, it can quickly be taken...anywhere.

How much difference is there between an acoustic guitar and a electric clean?

Thanks.
Quote by Krezay
About the style and so on you guys are right, the electric does have more options. Cool about the acoustic though is, it can quickly be taken...anywhere.

How much difference is there between an acoustic guitar and a electric clean?

Thanks.

the difference depends, if its a nylon string acoustic, its very different,

but on a metal string acoustic compared to an electric, it does sound noticeable different, but you can play acoustic songs on an electric and it wont sound bad, it will just be slightly different, assuming you have good cleans.

also to make a note, if you do go with electric, the amp is the most important factor in tone of the guitar, so get a budget one to learn, then buy a new amp first, because a a great guitar through a **** amp still sounds like ****, but even a "lower-grade" guitar through a good amp can sound good
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Yeah, thanks a lot for pointing that out.

Currently leaning towards the acoustic...

Acoustics are much cheaper correct? I only have about $200, the amp would eat most of that up anyway, so I think I should go with acoustic.

Such an important decision... dont want to rush it. If anyone has anything I have to put into consideration other than acoustic being mobile and electric being versatile, please point it out.

Either I easily play everywhere or easily play everything. lol
Personally, I would pick up the type of guitar that supports the style of music you want to play. For most people this means an electric.

The acoustic does have its advantages though. It's cheaper to get into if you are just testing the waters and it builds better hand strength.
I'll point out that a decent starter kit (guitar, amp, tuner and chord) can go for $100-$150,

i bought one for my first guitar, and the amps distortion wasnt great, but its cleans were fine, and it only weighed like 15lbs. so it could be pretty mobile too,

but im only bringing this up because i think that learning all different kinds of music will help you play better overall, not matter what type you play, versatility will help you thrive as a muscian,

look at van halen, he didnt invent tapping, he got it from people in jazz and blues, and there utterly changed the scene of rock, see why i value versatility?
Turquoise Team Beasts!